Hearth pad, or cement block for wood stove install?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Hardibacker board. Its much better in my opinion than the cement board specially if your just going to lay it on the floor . Cement board tends to crumple if its not attached to the substrate .This is my stove in the basement I used all metal studs and hardibacker with veneer used brick . I insulated with Roxul mineral wool insulation because its non combustible and wont mold if it gets wet. I used the backerboard on the ceiling as a heat shield too
That looks really nice! I just need to get something that will work and not catch fire, our bill was $375 last month. First bill like that ever, im really missing the stove going. -8 tonight.

When we had a WETT dude look at our woodstove for insurance purposes (previous owner was VERY lax and playing with fire if you will), we went with proper stove board vs cement board. The cost difference was huge but it looked better and was the better option for us.

Up where I am, there has to be lots of floor clearance around the stove as well. We needed around 18" of fireproof material (we used sheet metal) in front of the stove and to the side. The stove itself sat on a bunch of 18" pavers that had mortared joints over a wooden floor. The walls got the stove board but remember to use 1" spacers (we used copper coupling) to allow airflow.

Can't be too safe when it comes to preventing fires imo.

Last edited:
When we had a WETT dude look at our woodstove for insurance purposes (previous owner was VERY lax and playing with fire if you will), we went with proper stove board vs cement board. The cost difference was huge but it looked better and was the better option for us.

Up where I am, there has to be lots of floor clearance around the stove as well. We needed around 18" of fireproof material (we used sheet metal) in front of the stove and to the side. The stove itself sat on a bunch of 18" pavers that had mortared joints over a wooden floor. The walls got the stove board but remember to use 1" spacers (we used copper coupling) to allow airflow.

Can't be too safe when it comes to preventing fires imo.
you right, it pays to check local code cuz the insurer can drop you.
the fire marshal and insurance adjuster passed my hearth. the insurance guy was impressed.

Back