Heating Canadian Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battlefordguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All
Been a member a little while, just learning where possible.
Thought I show what it can be like using a OWB in Canada, get real cold here, -40 pretty common.
built a woodshed and starting bucking logs to get the winter suppy stacked. Got half the logs bucked so far, working on 32 cord total. Boiler heats a drafty 3500+ sq foot home. I got the portage and main and love the fan, recently added a extension to the chimminy, it is now seven ft. tall, seems to burn quicker, been closing the damper a bit more to slow it down, any suggestions??
this is my second season, with the owb have to say I love the heat, and am able to keep the house quite warm and also use a side arm on the water heater.

well, anyway heres some pics of the wood shed & pile.

best regards
battlefordguy:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to the site battlefordbuy. I don't run an OWB but do know -40 very well... then the wind picks up. Portage and Main is only 15 miles from here!

Nice monster shed.

Hello All
Thought I show what it can be like using a OWB in Canada, get real cold here, -40 pretty common...

Welcome aboard! I trust the wind chill is mild after reaching -40 F? Back in January, '82, we reached -27 F and the wind chill reached -68 F. That's the all-time low for NE. We've come close now and then, but so far that's our best shot. For 72 hours back then it never reached warmer that -11 F.

We usually blame it on a clipper front coming down from Alberta to say "hello" to the States. :buttkick:

Thanks for the welcomes

Here in Canada we deal in celesis, however at -40c it is the same as -40F. that is usally just the temp, windwill on top can have temps that feel like -50+.
the shed is 30ft x 40ft, thought I might get some flack for the sloped roof, but I build it all pretty study with double joices, and all rough lumber. first shed over 8 ft that I have built, as I am not a carpenter by any means...
getting a boiler has been much more than just a alternate heat source-lol.
I owned a poulin chainsaw when I began-lmao:censored:

at 30 x 40 with a sloped roof that has a interior height of 11ft x 7ft, I was fortunate to have a old cement foundation on which to build it. I am hoping it will hold 40+ cord, enough to season a year ahead.
best regards
battlefordguy

Welcome aboard! I trust the wind chill is mild after reaching -40 F? Back in January, '82, we reached -27 F and the wind chill reached -68 F. That's the all-time low for NE. We've come close now and then, but so far that's our best shot. For 72 hours back then it never reached warmer that -11 F.

We usually blame it on a clipper front coming down from Alberta to say "hello" to the States. :buttkick:

St. Lawrence Island, Alaska 1955/56 middle winter.

Dunno what the temperature was but we were bundled up in full eskimo type winter gear, middle of winter, strong breeze blowing. Me and another guy were detailed to repair the blown down Long Wire Antenna. We found the break, wrapped the wire ends together, I held them kneeling down, he held a blow torch (old style) on it to solder it. Not even a hope. The blow torch barely melted a small layer of snow with the flame only a few inches above it.

Harry K

nice wood shed

Hello All
Thought I show what it can be like using a OWB in Canada, get real cold here, -40 pretty common.
built a woodshed and starting bucking logs to get the winter suppy stacked. Got half the logs bucked so far, working on 32 cord total. Boiler heats a drafty 3500+ sq foot home. I got the portage and main and love the fan, recently added a extension to the chimminy, it is now seven ft. tall, seems to burn quicker, been closing the damper a bit more to slow it down, any suggestions??
this is my second season, with the owb have to say I love the heat, and am able to keep the house quite warm and also use a side arm on the water heater.

well, anyway heres some pics of the wood shed & pile.

best regards

is that battleford or north battleford lived there back in the late 70 s ( ough showing my age ) was a great place to grow up the whole town would stop for a party at the drop of a hat or anything for that matter good fishing to the north just didn't like the rcmp hiding and getting you for speeding all the time ( 77 trans am 400 H. O.)

LOL it is Battleford. Great place, no longer there, in Prince Albert area now.
Many great lakes in the area. Highways are being twinned now, but still lots of RCMP:(

regards
Battlefordguy

LOL it is Battleford. Great place, no longer there, in Prince Albert area now.
Many great lakes in the area. Highways are being twinned now, but still lots of RCMP:(

regards
Battlefordguy

Is the Yellowhead 2 lanes (each direction) from Loyd to Battleford yet? If so, is the speed limit up to 110? (km/h for the folks south across the line). Been through Battleford (from Edmonton) quite a few times to Kinistino, SK.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back