Held a 440 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester356

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went to my dealer today and discovered a new 440 on the shelf and picked it up and and it felt so wonderful in my hands perfect balance and weight. I was in love and about to break into my savings untill I looked at the left side of the saw and seen a hideous sight! Two awful chinese looking flippley caps on both the oil and gas tanks. I begged the dealer to change out the tanks but he couldnt. So I am heartbroke tonight. But I got my Husky with gas and oil caps that work flawless.

StihlFlipCapTroll.jpg

I like the Flippy Caps as well. But will say the MS460 to me is a better saw than the MS440 IMO. Better vibs, more power.

440 is a great saw, if you can find a new one I'd get it.

Yer preachin to the choir about the flippy caps. Send a letter to Stihl and let them know they suck!

I like the Flippy Caps as well. But will say the MS460 to me is a better saw than the MS440 IMO. Better vibs, more power.

I've always felt the 460 is the smoothest running Stihl out of the 440/460/660. I couldn't say it is better than a 440 though, I have 3 of each and they are different saws. The 460 having a little more grunt and the 440 being a little more agressive in the R's.

Last edited:
call me crazy but i love the flippy caps:hmm3grin2orange: no tools to carry and if u pay attention no leaks,,, if ur worried about breaking one just carry a spare...btw the 440 is a sweet saw but like everyone else has said i like the 460 better just a little more weight and more power to boot:msp_thumbup:

if the flip caps are the one reason your not buying a 440 then your not really that in love with the 440. minor detail if that was really the saw of your dreams. get a 660! flip cap free

Not buying a 440 because of the flip caps is a joke. I have an 044 and love it. Best saw ever made in my book. I dont give a hoot if it has flip caps or not, great saw. I dont need a 460, i have an 064 that will spank a 460 and weighs just a few more ounces...:hmm3grin2orange:

It is true I love the 440 and was very much wanting to buy it until I saw the flippy caps.

One of the best saws ever made and you wont buy it because of the flippy caps,please wake up to yourself,o no flippy caps its the end of the world,get another brand mate one were you cant see how much fuel is in the tank.

Ohh no not another flippy cap thread......... I got a flippy capped 440....... I only ran it once untill it ran out of fuel. now i cant figure out how the caps work so it just sits.

Back