Held a 440 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always felt the 460 is the smoothest running Stihl out of the 440/460/660. I couldn't say it is better than a 440 though, I have 3 of each and they are different saws. The 460 having a little more grunt and the 440 being a little more agressive in the R's.

I would LOVE to run your saws. I bet your 440 is somethin to behold.......

Winchester 356,

You chummed the water, attracted the suckers and some have bit.

You da man.:rock:

It's funny to me so many have "failed". I've four different guys and myself using both saws with flippy caps and regular ones, in four years of using them commercially, saws seeing at least 30-35 hours a week six days a week, we have had one flippy cap fail and one regular old style on a 660 get cracked by a guy cranking down on it with a sqrench.
My guys like the flippy caps, sure in four years we have one or two cases were they didn't get put in correctly and had a little gas or oil on the leg. I'd for sure rather have the flippy's than the screw in like on the 346, with such shallow slots it you over tighten the cap the slots are so shallow the sqrench will bugger the hell out of the slot.
To pass up on such a legend as the 440 over flippy caps is just absurd. I've got two 044's that get the fire used out of them, one of the best if not the best firewood saw made. I like the ported 460, but the 044/440 is one sweet saw. I'll take the flippy caps any day, most days we burn three to five gallons of mix, those flippys get used many times filling up. I guess my 9 and 10 dollar an hour employees, just ole farm boys are smart enough to know how to use them. The one that failed was replaced for free. Same with our lawn service, our blowers and string trimmers have them too., never and issue.

It's funny to me so many have "failed". I've four different guys and myself using both saws with flippy caps and regular ones, in four years of using them commercially, saws seeing at least 30-35 hours a week six days a week, we have had one flippy cap fail and one regular old style on a 660 get cracked by a guy cranking down on it with a sqrench.
My guys like the flippy caps, sure in four years we have one or two cases were they didn't get put in correctly and had a little gas or oil on the leg. I'd for sure rather have the flippy's than the screw in like on the 346, with such shallow slots it you over tighten the cap the slots are so shallow the sqrench will bugger the hell out of the slot.
To pass up on such a legend as the 440 over flippy caps is just absurd. I've got two 044's that get the fire used out of them, one of the best if not the best firewood saw made. I like the ported 460, but the 044/440 is one sweet saw. I'll take the flippy caps any day, most days we burn three to five gallons of mix, those flippys get used many times filling up. I guess my 9 and 10 dollar an hour employees, just ole farm boys are smart enough to know how to use them. The one that failed was replaced for free. Same with our lawn service, our blowers and string trimmers have them too., never and issue.

If you ran my 250 for a few days you would stop praising the flippy caps.

If I ever had one that was truly that bad I do what Josh suggested I'd be back at the dealer until he fixed the issue or would be on the phone with Stihl corporate. If you don't want to put that much effort in it, I'd trade the thing off. I've just really never had an issue with them. Don't let one bad apple spoil your whole perception of them. The 440 is a fantastic saw, if you ran one you would forget it had flippy caps.
So much more saw than the 361/362 with very little weigh gain, much more performance. If I prolly were limited to one stock saw at my old age it would be the 440. It will just do it all, at least in my part of the country.

Went to my dealer today and discovered a new 440 on the shelf and picked it up and and it felt so wonderful in my hands perfect balance and weight. I was in love and about to break into my savings untill I looked at the left side of the saw and seen a hideous sight! Two awful chinese looking flippley caps on both the oil and gas tanks. I begged the dealer to change out the tanks but he couldnt. So I am heartbroke tonight. But I got my Husky with gas and oil caps that work flawless.

We fully understand your broken heart sir. If you held a mighty 440 and had to go home see that other brand in your garage we'd be heartbroken too, we at camp Stihl feel your pain but we don't excuse your poor choice in chainsaws,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

[/B]

We fully understand your broken heart sir. If you held a mighty 440 and had to go home see that other brand in your garage we'd be heartbroken too, we at camp Stihl feel your pain but we don't excuse your poor choice in chainsaws,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Theres two kinds of people,ones who own Stihls and ones who try to justify why they don't.

You can bet Tree Monkey did a nice job on it. Power to weight is exceptional, it'll do it all with ease and is a pleasure to run.

LOL, You know I know baby!! Im sendin him a Husqvarna 390XP and a Husqvarna 372XPW at the same time. I know they prolly wont stack up to the 660, but Im sure they will be monsters! That 660 is incredible. Can you maybee make a vid of the 440? I would love to see her in action......:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back