Helicoil thread repair 261 - cylinder cover screws stripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Steve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So...my $80 261...runs and cuts like a beast. Needed a tiny amount of carb adjustment, but after I put a 20" bar and chain on it she sure is a sweetheart. HOWEVER...the previous nutmeat owner (who had a HUGE bar on it, used drain oil for B&C oil, and said it wouldn't run anymore) managed to strip out the two of the three holes that the top cover screws into. My first instinct is a helicoil repair. Any thoughts on less drastic measures before I go that route?

I'm going to assume husky instead of stihl. Stihl repurposed '362' lately as well. Oh well, mod # overlap.

Check out Time-Sert. I believe they will hold up better than a helicoil in that app.

So...my $80 261...runs and cuts like a beast. Needed a tiny amount of carb adjustment, but after I put a 20" bar and chain on it she sure is a sweetheart. HOWEVER...the previous nutmeat owner (who had a HUGE bar on it, used drain oil for B&C oil, and said it wouldn't run anymore) managed to strip out the two of the three holes that the top cover screws into. My first instinct is a helicoil repair. Any thoughts on less drastic measures before I go that route?

If there is room, get a tap for the next size up bolt and rethread the holes. Should be easy to do in aluminum/magnesium. If I'm not mistaken, a helicoil will require more enlargement of the bolt holes and thus more weakening of the base structure.

on a H 261 I had a similar problem I ended up using a 2 part liquid steel epoxy that was hard enough it would drill tap and take a helicoil. oversize will not work because of the the screw being captive.

real welding is the best.

let us know what you come up with.

A EZ Lok, is a slotted sleeve locking insert and would work the best. It's a solid insert that easily installs by tapping and screwing in with a screw driver.

48011c24e0f58262a21ad7b716fe7c24.jpg

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=10ggdm1

I'm going to go with a Time-sert. My 262 had the same hole stripped, yours looks worse though. There is not much meat there to go much bigger. May have get some to TIG weld it and redrill and tap.

Jeremy

@srcarr52

Shaun (srcarr52) is the resident chainsaw magnesium tig welder and husky guy to boot!

It looks like your front clutch side screw is completely busted out. Welding highly recommended...

So I've never used that JB Weld crap before. What's the best/hardest out there? I'll take a shot at that. If/when it quits me I'll try a timesert or similar. I got nothing to lose by my dignity!

i wouldn't even consider anything other then a heli coil. will retain the OEM top cover screws and if you loctite the heli coil in it will be every bit as good as any other insert in that application and way cheaper. people say it takes alot more meat then just oversizing to 6mm but it really doesn't.. i have all these options available to me and i still would use a heli coil. just be sure that when breaking off the L tab on the end of the coil to do it at the far end of the tab. if you do it close to the threads it will sometimes skip a thread and create more problems.

This is the stuff i used. I don't know how many have experience with this model saw. The holes just don't strip the wallow out. It is hard to use just the thread replacement alone. Once again. I had the best luck using this stuff and a helicoil. Jb weld is not strong enough.

Ok bye

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    748.6 KB · Views: 40
i wouldn't even consider anything other then a heli coil. will retain the OEM top cover screws and if you loctite the heli coil in it will be every bit as good as any other insert in that application and way cheaper. people say it takes alot more meat then just oversizing to 6mm but it really doesn't.. i have all these options available to me and i still would use a heli coil. just be sure that when breaking off the L tab on the end of the coil to do it at the far end of the tab. if you do it close to the threads it will sometimes skip a thread and create more problems.
I use helicoil as well with no problems.

I use helicoil as well with no problems.

Bottom line, if a heli coil is done right it will be every bit as strong as other options. I actually carry a little 5mmx0.8mm heli coil kit in my tools in the bush. Never thought I would need it ever. Ended up doing 2 heli coils on my partners 460 in the bush. Heck, making his day was enough to keep that kit on hand always.

Back