Hello from another wannabe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe123

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well I'm sure I'm not in unusual company being a clueless wannabe saw jock with no idea how to do it. I am pretty experienced with forums however, so I'll spare everyone the usual tirade of what I can assume are the usual noob questions (how to get a job, how much money, what's a chain pitch, why can't I make my own wedges out of crushed beer cans) or what I can assume are usual debates (I'll take Budweiser, Wild Turkey, Jonsered/Husky, Remington (rifles) Winchester (Shotguns), Chevy, Coke Capitalism and I am happy with either 9mm or .45 depending on the job at hand and that should be about it on opinions for me).

What I will do is say hi and then lurk in the shadows hoping for more information and occasionally I might say something but I haven't got much to say. If however some old salt in my neck of the woods would take pity on me and want to offer some advice or help I'd love to chat. Otherwise, hi and thanks in advance for all the useful stuff you provide

Welcome! There's some usefull stuff on here but you'll have to wade through a bunch of bs to find it. It's mostly useless crap that sometimes is good for a laugh or two! Enjoy!

For useless laughable crap head over to the commercial forum;) we throw lots of drivel around over there

Hey I can't be to picky. Just from my browsing today you guys don't generally strike me as more dangerous or full of BS than most of the crowds I run with. We just do it with different dangerous tools and BS about slightly different stuff.
I have most the lingo the fallers throw around pretty figured out, but the arborists are speaking in tongues best I can tell. IF I can at least crack all that code it'll be worth my membership dues ;)

Well I can take internet criticism pretty well, considering it is unlikely to cause me harm. And if I feel threatened and pop a round through the offending post I'm out a computer and not going to prison. AS for a man suit, I am currently wearing nothing but an LL bean wool union suit and some steel toes. The wife made me take off my comp chaps since we're soon having dinner

Buy a copy of tree climber's companion from one of the site sponsors and you'll be off to a good start on the basics and the lingo.

I will do that. There is a good tree outfit down the road that I am hoping to get in with, mostly on their hardscape crews since I can run that, but if I have a general idea of what the tree guys do there may be a chance for a job there and I'd love to have a job to justify all I spend on chainsaws.

If you're looking for laughs, go onto the chainsaw forum and start asking bizarre questions about what kinds of 2 cycle oil to use and the best mix ratio. And for even more ***** and giggles, talk about the different bar oils.

If you're looking for laughs, go onto the chainsaw forum and start asking bizarre questions about what kinds of 2 cycle oil to use and the best mix ratio. And for even more ***** and giggles, talk about the different bar oils.
Or dare to ask if the Amsoil Sabre you're currently using at 100:1 could be causing the bad hesitation and warm start issues on your new MTronic 661 even though is not MTronic [emoji33]

Thanks, Newb. I was considering a handle like yours but I decided I didn't even rate to call myself a newb, so I chose wannabe.

As for you other jokers, I can't help but think your pulling my leg a smidge on asking those very important questions in the chainsaw forum. Any fool knows that 2 cycle oil is expensive and the less you mix into your gas the longer the bottle lasts. And I can identify trees myself. You got leafy ones, needly ones, and dead ones. I don't discriminate between trees, I feel it's wrong to judge them and refuse to believe there is any difference between them just because of their bark color, leave type, or density. They are all equal members of the tree race.

Hello Wannabe123, welcome to the AS bs site. I don't see any saws listed so it's going to be hard to bust on you for having the wrong brand of saw. Which saw is that you ask ? It's the Stihlhuskyjonseredechohomelitemac-a-doodle frankensaw. Everybody here owns one or 2 of those plus the other modified, Snellerized, Masterminded, Mufflerized customized contraptions used to make saw dust, wood chips and soup noodles. So once we find out your basic affliction we'll be able to help you down the road of degradation and into the CAD ward of the local psycho establishment.

thanks, Djones.

I'll modify my signature thingy to show my modest saw collection. IT only consists now of an early 80s craftsman (grampa's limber. neat but basically a red metal poulan cheapy. Same case as those hardware store green poulans from 15 years later, just less plastic and minus that annoying power robbing chain brake by design. It's more of a showpiece), an early 80's SEZ in dern near brand new condition (grampa's firewood saw, it got maybe two hours a year) that I use primarily, and two dinky US assembled huskies, a 142 that has almost never been used (bought it for grampa, he didn't like it) and my "custom" 240. Custom because it has no chain brake and I had to jerry up a chain tensioner out of a piece of my truck bed when the cheapo plastic broke around the tensioner nut.

Plans of course for a big jonsered soon for some lot work (I hope) I'll be picking up come spring. I also have a hankering for a big older homelite and I'd kill my best friend's cat for a Mac 10-10

Thanks, Newb. I was considering a handle like yours but I decided I didn't even rate to call myself a newb, so I chose wannabe.

As for you other jokers, I can't help but think your pulling my leg a smidge on asking those very important questions in the chainsaw forum. Any fool knows that 2 cycle oil is expensive and the less you mix into your gas the longer the bottle lasts. And I can identify trees myself. You got leafy ones, needly ones, and dead ones. I don't discriminate between trees, I feel it's wrong to judge them and refuse to believe there is any difference between them just because of their bark color, leave type, or density. They are all equal members of the tree race.

You haven't gone onto the chainsaw forum yet have you? We're not pulling your leg, there have been major flame wars over types of mix oil, mix ratio and the such. We tell you things from experience.

BC, yeah I waded into one just today to test the waters. Very interesting. Fun. I made a comment about using Wesson oil or mashed soybeans instead of 2cycle oil in an effort to be more "green". I been on this site two days and I'm already having a blast.

Welcome Wannabe 123.
I've sit and laughed my tail off reading this thread. Welcome aboard!
Well thank you. I'm enjoying myself and angering old salts and loggers left and right!

I also very strongly like your signature tag

ive been very unproductive here at my work computer because of this site. i feel like its ok to take a quick look at the threads because it has something to do with my job. next thing i know its 3 hrs later and i got to go home and i didnt really get that much done. but i know all about chain pitch, tension/compression, felling notches, mixing ratios.......ect. anyway, this site is great, nothing like an old logger, they know best. yes bruce that means you.

Back