Help! 064 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry if this post is a little long but I am really frustrated over my 064:(. I bought the saw off ebay a couple of years ago. Contrary to some of you that have bought saws on ebay, this saw was in quite good condition. However, it was somewhat difficult to start. It had a Bing carb and the carb kit for the Bing is expensive, so instead I bought a brand new Tillotson carb as a replacement hoping to improve the situation. It didn't help. I also inspected the piston and cylinder and they looked fine. I put new rings in the piston and the compression seems excellent, allthough my pressure tester doesn't work well, so I can't give an exact value. I have vacuum and pressure tested the saw and the readings are fine. The muffler looks black and matte, and the spark plug stays fine. I have bought a brand new 32" bar and chains for ripping and cross cutting.

This fall, I couldn't start it at all. Needless to say that trying to start a 064 that won't start is no joke because the saw has no decompression valve. In comparison, starting a 084 is a piece of cake. After much struggling, I tried to pull the saw with the spark plug grounded and saw no spark. I then figured that the ignition module had slowly gone bad and now was completely dead, so I bought a brand new module at 70$ off ebay and put it in. At first I couldn't see any spark with the new module but when pulling very fast (grounded spark plug) I finally saw a spark. I have read in the service manual that it has a minimum-speed limiter, so that it won't ignite unless the speed is high enough, which might explain why I had to pull fast to see a spark. I then tried to start the saw many times, still in vain. I have tried it also with gas injected directly into the carb with the same result.

I am getting really frustrated. I have spent a lot of time and money on the saw and it seems to be in a very good condition but unfortunately it won't start. One reason could be that I do not pull fast enough to get above the minimum-speed limiter. I do not see myself as a weakling (built my own barn 4 years ago) but the saw has a terrific compression so it's not easy to deal with. I fear that if I continue testing it like this, I may soon have to add the cost of a chiropractor to the budget. I have also considered selling it and buying a 066 with a decomp valve but it's surely going to be a challenge at a reasonable price to sell a saw that won't start.

Do any of you pros have some advice before I give up and use it as an anchor for my boat? :bang: Maybe I should give up the chainsaw business alltogether, my wife anyway hints that it takes far too much time (I count on your support:clap: ).

Can I modify it with a decomp valve before more testing? Could I have mounted the spark plug hood/connector wrongly to the ignition wire?

thanks-
Tom

I have never touched an 064, but if I don't have spark I'll unplug the kill switch wire at the coil and check for spark. This eliminates the kill switch, and the wires that go to it that may be damaged.

I have never touched an 064, but if I don't have spark I'll unplug the kill switch wire at the coil and check for spark. This eliminates the kill switch, and the wires that go to it that may be damaged.

thanks for the hint, however I already did that with no improvement

I see you replaced the carb, but what about the fuel line? What about the boot between the carb and cylinder. What about the impulse hose? Any cracks? Good luck and stay calm.:)

if it wont "pop" w/ fuel added directly to the carb then the problem is ignition assuming compression is ok. not sure bout the minimum limiter but i would think that is in the coil/ignition module which u have already replaced. remove sparkplug, disconnect kill switch, and stick a screwdriver into the plug wire and hold it to feel if there is spark. if it knocks the crap out of u then its ok! if ok then its the switch. if not its the coil or wire assuming the sparkplug is ok. are sure the coil gap is correct?

lakeside or stihltech wil be on tonite for further info

Last edited:
You say that you pull the crap out of it (you) trying to start it. Is it flooding after all these attempts?

Just another thing to confirm if it isn't the fuel delivery.

Can the timing be off with this saw? Is the flywheel gap correct?

Sorry no expert, but just a couple thoughts before the cavalry get here

module

If you have checked the wiring thoroughly, you most likely have a bad module.
There are a bunch of different module-flywheel combinations on an 064, get the number off the flywheel for starters.

The 064 and early 066 had different flywheels and the ignitions had to be matched. Some of the flywheels had two different key slots for timing, Check to make sure your flywheel didn't break the key and slip. If that is OK check the search feature for matching the correct components. It has been discussed before. Mike

Guys, here's an update.

I found that I can start the saw if I pour some gasoline directly into the carb. It will then run ok at high revs for as long as I want. Still hard to start though after switching it off, and I can't make it idle slow enough to prevent the chain from moving. When I try to reduce the idle rpm, it dies.

I did a pressure/vacuum test again, it was perfect. Also, I put in a brand new carb last winter.

My own conclusion is that either the fuel line has a defect, or the impulse line does not seal well at its connection to the carb. That connection is not tested during the pressure/vacuum test because I plug it with a drill bit during the test.

Any advice? Thanks-

If you suspect the impulse connection to the carb, Try twisting a thin wire around it and tightening with needle-nose pliers.

Two things to try -

Put some grease in the end of the impulse hose (carb off) - you should see it suck in and spit out when you pull it over. I have seen a blockage inside the impulse connection to the crankscase..

Disconnect your fuel line fom the carb. Connect a long fuel line (3+ feet) to a small tank (plastic water bottle works fine) and hook up about 3 feet above the saw. This will gravity feed fuel to the carb. If it runs, you have a fuel delivery or impulse problem.

Back