Help choosing a chain grinder please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one of those clone grinders about 9 months ago. Then got some Molemab wheels. Works fine, once you and it get sorted out. The OEM wheels were a bit eccentric, the Molemab much better.

There's a bit of play in the mechanism, that gives you flexibility as to where to contact the teeth. Little more, little less, as required. Lets you accomodate little differences in tooth length. Push a little left, a little right as required.

Works great for $100, enormously better than the HF cheapie.
I think I see what you are saying. I want to eliminate tooth length variation but could see where that slight looseness could be turned to your advantage.
Jeez, I have gone from looking at some of the most expensive to considering the cheapest ones.
I am still unclear which way to go. Russ

The Oregon 511AX, or the similar Speed Sharp are also good choices if you don't need the hydraulic vise. For the reasons you mentioned.

If you want the 10 degree 'down angle' I think that it is obtained differently with the 551462 than with conventional grinders - shift the vise instead of tilting?

Philbert

The Oregon 511AX, or the similar Speed Sharp are also good choices if you don't need the hydraulic vise. For the reasons you mentioned.

If you want the 10 degree 'down angle' I think that it is obtained differently with the 551462 than with conventional grinders - shift the vise instead of tilting?

Philbert
Thanks Man, the difference locally at R D Faulkner is 112$ between 510a and 511ax. The guy I know there says I would be paying the premium for a light and the ability to sharpen harvested chain. The price on the 510a is close to internet but the other 2 models are really high. I want to buy locally because I am pretty sure they would be helpful to talk to if I have problems figuring it out. Faulkner has everything logging related right in stock and that is handy right across the river.
As many may know , they were the east coast distributors for efco till efco turned evil but that is another thread. Russ

A lot of great responses here. I forgot what a great bunch of guys we have on here. You helped me get set up with a great saw then I ran off and cut fire wood for 2 years but I am back.
Now that I am running 2 nice saws and getting into grinding surely I will have a few questions... Thanks Guys! Russ

The wheel cost more than the grinder.
Don't I know it! Wheel plus timber tuff= hydraulic Oregon in price or close to it. A lot to think about.
I have over a grand tied up in stones etc... For my knives ( I am a chef) hopefully I can do this a bit cheaper... Russ

The guy I know there says I would be paying the premium for a light and the ability to sharpen harvested chain.

Bigger differences are that the 511ax has the automatic, self-centering vise, allows you to tilt the chain vice forward and back 10° for adding a 'down angle' (or 'up angle'), and includes an adjustment to compensate for grinding wheel wear.

It is a better grinder and the one I would buy today.

The 510 is an economy model offered to compete with lower priced 'clone' grinders.

Philbert

Go with the Oregon ax and you won't be disappointed . Upgrade to the cbn wheel later . The cdn wheels are fantastic . Whatever grinder you choose just don't get too aggressive and take too much off . Just a touch at a time it may take I few times around if ya really f up the chain. Too much at once you will burn the tooth and it will not hold a edge . If it turns blue you went too far .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I will end up with the 511ax. May end up buying online, local wants 411.95 plus tax. Also said they would run through set up and demo theirs. Don't know if that is worth the 80 plus tax difference. I like to stay local but that is a lot of difference. Russ

511ax is very easy to set up . The direction included are pretty good . Best bet is to find the best online price including shipping from a reputable retailer and see if you local store will match the price. Most stores will match. I'm all for supporting my local stores but I'm not going single handed keep there doors open by paying too much .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back