help choosing a Splitting Maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am tired using the sears maul. what do you guys use that works well?

I try not to cut what I won't be able to split with a #4 axe or feed right into the stove. 8 inch diameter is the biggest I take home in Am. Elm, Sycamore and Gum. The higher BTU woods I have available seem pretty decent for splitting.

do a search for fiskars splitter or monster maul-- will keep you busy for a while. BTW mine is a Fiskars:clap:

I have both. The Fiskars for most of my splitting, and the Monster Maul for the stubborn stuff. I have gotten the Monster maul stuck and beaten it through with a 20# sledge. I don;t feel bad about beating on a big, ugly solid steel tool like that. I would not beat on the Fiskars, my neighbor borrowed it once and beat on it, I had to yell at him.

I do almost all my splitting with a 6 lb splitting maul. I've never tried a Fiskars axe or a monster maul, simply because, I've never had any problems with the 6 lber. I hear great things about both though.

I haven't met much I can't split with a 6 lb maul and a good set of wedges. I always keep three wedges on hand, one with a narrow taper that's easy to start. I did add an 8 lb maul to the line up and occasionally reach for it if there's something I think I can get without wedges but won't go with the 6 lb.

If you just want a simple, traditional maul to start with, just make sure you buy a quality one with a tempered head. Fiberglass/hickory/ash handle is mostly preference, but it pays to get a quality head, especially if you use the hammer side for driving wedges like I do.

I have a friend that bought a Chinese made Home Despot special and after a year of pounding wedges, the hammer side was cracked and mushroomed.

I use a 6.6lb maul and a wedge. Never found anything that the monster maul would split that the 6 pounder couldnt. My monster maul keeps my garage door from swinging in the wind thats about it.

Anything that works

Out here on the West side of Oregon we have a lot of Alder. May not be the best wood but it is very easy to split most of the time. Personally, if it gets a chance to season well, I prefer it over anything else as in our small home its very easy to regulate the fire with Alder. I split a lot of it with an old double bitted axe. I have one of the cheap maul/axes from Walmart for some of the tougher pieces.
For Fir/Hemlock I either use a regular maul or wedges and sledge.
It seems I just grab whatever is the lightest available to do the job.

I think this comes down to a matter of how stout a guy are you and what size rounds do you get most of the time? I'm obviously a marine in pretty good shape..and after using my monster maul for about a 1/2 hr..I'm almost out of breath..but..there is nothing I can't handle with it..I think the monster is little over kill for anything less than say..12" in diameter...so..maybe choose your weapon per say..the monster for those big 25" red oak rounds..and the 6# for the lighter stuff..

I bought a Fiskars and I'm not impressed. Obviously, there's no elm or pin oak in Finland.

Monster Maul

Monster Maul - Splits the big stuff usually w/one strike (not sycamore) and builds upper body strength.:lifter:

I think Wolverine Marine has it right. I can split more with around a 6 pound maul. The bigger rigs, I just cant put the speed into them to make them work. If they look at all gnarly I cut a few X's half way down with the saw then pop them open with the 6 pounder.

I think this comes down to a matter of how stout a guy are you and what size rounds do you get most of the time?

I'm a beanpole and split stuff in the 24-30" range with a 15# monster maul, or did until I got my splitter. I used wedges and an 8# sledge on some of the bigger ones. Mostly oak, by the way.

It's all in the technique.

I do (er, did before I got a splitter) most of my splitting with a 8# fiberglass handle maul from the local True Value hardware store. I also have a monster maul, but even the big pieces get a hit or two from the 8# before switching to the monster. I'm faster and more accurate with the 8#, the monster gets used when needed.
Dok

Another vote for an 8 lb. fiberglass handled maul and a monster maul. I split 24" long firewood and the monster maul gets used way more than I'd like for the beech I've been splitting the last couple of years. I don't bother using my wedges and sledge anymore, just got a little smarter on how I attack the bigger stuff.

I think Bailys has a 15# Monster maul, but its like $50.

I have a friend who made his own splitting maul in welding shop, it weighed 35 lbs, and he named it the Viking maul.

misc179.jpg

and

axe.jpg

working on getting a Helko 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12265

12_pbg

and with out this

truckmods044.jpg

non of it would be possible

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back