Help cleaning up MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Brad said you can see electronics on the carb, it's an Mtronic model. Pics can make things look worse, but from what I can see it looks nasty inside that cylinder. It doesn't take much to pull the cylinder off the 261, I'd take the cylinder off and clean her up properly myself. Looks like they used SEA 30 for mix.
I agree. If it was used without a filter much, the crankcase is full of crap.

Can you give me any insight as to what causes the blue/black burned look on the chain? Is this normal wear or from something else?
I wouldn't worry about it. That bar hasn't seen much wear at all, otherwise the paint would be burnt. It's not.

Good point, it was not well taken care of and probably never cleaned so I will just run it as is after I sharpen the chain. Maybe a muffler mod in the near future.

I paid $140 for the saw as is. Bought a new air filter, fuel filter and spark plug for about $30. I think the saw will be a good runner for sure once it is cleaned up and had a few tanks of fresh fuel and Sea Foam through it.

I find it hard to believe that the previous owner didn't know it had a air filter but knew enough to flip the bar? That saw looks it has very little time on it but very poorly taken care of. It should clean up great. I say for $140 that is a great score!

The great thing is if the bearings are good, and it passes pressure vacuum, once you clean it up it will run great, these saws are very forgiving unless you run them way lean.
I have an 020 T a guy have written off as no compression I took out the muffler screen and it was solid dripping black with oil , I put some fresh mix in the spark plug hole and cycles it through about 30 pulls, it came out black, ran a compression check 160lbs, put a new plug in and some new mix with 2oz of seafoam and ran it like it like I stole it , it smoked halfway through the tank and when it stopped smoking , I set the low side and idle and now it's the strongest little top handle he has.
I think it spent a lot of time idling with crappy mix.

He was amazed when I showed him the video of it fogging out my yard , then running like a champ , it has compression of about 170 now and starts one pull if you can flip it off choke fast enough.

The older stihls just seem to run forever , unless you abuse them to the point of no return.

Back