Help critique my thoughts for some upcoming successful and safe felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey Nuzzy

Just cut the damn things. From the pictures it looks like, even if one goes sideways or comes back on you, that there's plenty of open space and room to run. No wires or buildings close?

The only thing I'd ad is to keep looking up, especially when you're wedging...lots of winter-brittle limbs on those trees and the area of the canopy is huge.

And what Clearance said about bucking is spot on. With that many limbs you're going to have a lot of wood off of the ground. Limbs under compression or tension can bite you real quick. Falling is just part of the job...a lot of guys get hurt bucking, too.

Have fun...be careful. Let us know how it works out for you.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
The only thing I'd add, for what it's worth is...

If you're worried about any of those trees barber chairing... lash the trunk with a chain or a few nylon straps. No reason to take any chances. I've only seen one chair in person and it's not something I'd want to see again.

Nuzzy

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Just cut the damn things. From the pictures it looks like, even if one goes sideways or comes back on you, that there's plenty of open space and room to run. No wires or buildings close?

The only thing I'd ad is to keep looking up, especially when you're wedging...lots of winter-brittle limbs on those trees and the area of the canopy is huge.

And what Clearance said about bucking is spot on. With that many limbs you're going to have a lot of wood off of the ground. Limbs under compression or tension can bite you real quick. Falling is just part of the job...a lot of guys get hurt bucking, too.

Have fun...be careful. Let us know how it works out for you.

Oh yes, pics will be taken :rock:

Correct, no wires or buildings close so escape path is as good as it gets. I will definitely keep my wits about me while bucking and stay focused!! I have certainly dealt with loaded limbs before, often in the woods where mobility and visibility were limited. But I have never dealt with limbs this big and heavy.

It also helps that my buddy Jon will be there. Being with the fire dept for quite a few years, he's had a decent bit of experience with storm damaged hardwood removal out here.

joesawer

joesawer

Addicted to ArboristSite
To me, none of those trees look like heavy leaners in the picture.
As mentioned before. One thing to be aware of with trees that have large, low canopy is that it will try to roll around and spring back past the stump. I will often cut quartering away from the lean, since the longest largest limbs are usually towards the lean. That way the tree falls onto the largest limbs at an angle and then rolls in a pre-calculated direction.
As others also mentioned the bucking of these trees will be more dangerous than felling them. Take your time and figure all the tensions and shifts before you cut. And watch for spring poles, they will mess up your day. Don't ask me how I know.

Latest posts