Help for my Pink Dogwood damaged by heavy snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moira

Reaction score
I have a beautiful pink dogwood.

This winter heavy snow split two of the three main branches down the middle about 24 inches...

I almost want to just duct tape it together and kiss it better..

Do I have to cut them off? Is it my only option.. All that will be left is one skinny branch.....

Any ideas...?

thanks

hey pictures

Can we see some pictures of the tree this will help with the advice you get . Duct tape might work but I think some kind of metal bracing depending on size of tree would work better .

24"s, ouch, that is a stretch. No kidding, "duct tape" is the prefect solution for now. Pull the splits together as tight as you can get them. Be careful limbs are real fragile when it's cold. While you have the branches tight as they can be have someone else tape those branches tight. Wait and see in the spring for signs of life, budding. If so, then come back for real good care solutions. Good luck, I can feel for you, pink dogwood is a good one.

Pics are a must in this case.
24 inches is alot.
Depending on the size of the tree,
it may be better to cut it to about 6 inches.
I've done this myself. And the tree will resprot with sucker branches.
It will develope more into a shrub.
Or after a year or two, you can selectivly prune it to a single tree.

here are the pics... such as they are

Ok. I already put the duct tape on but you can maybe tell me if this is fruitless.:)laugh: ). and the tree is doomed..

If you can see...from my photo (should have taken it before the tape)

a. the two largest branches are the ones at issue with the split. If i take them off just the one small branch would be left..

b. you can see how long the crack is ,, extending past the duct tape

.. thanks again....

View attachment 45545

View attachment 45546

View attachment 45547

Looks great. nice job. You have a job in the spring if you want. :laugh:
The split is not the problem in your case. It is how bad the cambium layer was damaged. The only thing that can be done now is to get that branch to rest exactly where it was before the split. You did a good job at that. I would put something higher up in the branches to give some more support. Duct tape is good because it won't cause more damage to the cambium layer.
In the spring if it buds then you know you didn't lose it. They sell paper tape at nurseries that can expand. I would loosely tie the canopy up with gardens string and then loose the duct tape( too restricting for when it starts to grow) and wrap it with this expandable paper tape and the tree should be able to heal with no problem. Good luck the tree looks really nice.

moria

you are one hell of a duct taper lol.... looks good. put a bolt or 2 a few inches down from the main split crotchand that will hold for good. and a bold every foot down to assure it heals. in the spring its a must you give it some sort of hormones. check into thrive . a little bit will go a long way

Back