Help- Generator not putting out power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn022

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this but I wanted to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge here. A lot of saws getting some use here after Irene. I've seen tree services with area codes that I couldn't even guess from where. We lost power for 5 days and would like to get this generator ready in case we need it again.

Anyways, the problem. I have an older honda powered 4500 watt generator ( Dyna LC 4500). Runs great, was putting out some power the first 2 days after the storm. (dim lamp and refridgerator light) Then one morning I started it and no power. I have found some resistance readings on the net and comparing them to the generator. One power lead to nuetral is reading 1.1 where it should be 0.61-0.67 . The other lead to nuetral is good as well as the resistance for the capacitor leads.

Any ideas? I have heard of flashing the generator to restore power but have no idea if this would help me. Thanks for any help. -Shawn

Last edited:
Ummmm.....get it running and manually over speed the engine (override governor) without any loads connected and see if power appears at normal rpm afterwards. I had this happen on some little chink built 1500 watt unit once.

Wear gloves when you do this.

Get ahold of a powerful drill. Plug it into the generator. Squeeze the trigger. Spin the chuck by hand a few times with a good amount of force. Beware of the chuck turning on it's own if this works.

Flashing the system is essentially restoring a current, and you can either hook up a battery to the brushes in a really tight area after disassembling a bunch, or you can do this. Your problem may not be as simple as flashing the system because it has recently worked/put out power. You typically only need to do this if the generator has sat for a long time and somehow lost its residual charge. I think you're looking at a PC board or a rectifier - or even the brushes/contact points on the rotor.

Or it may be as simple as a fuse/breaker?

I've seen and heard about alot of this problem since the storm. A friend had 2 almost new generators, and both did it. The electronic components got fried for some reason. I'm convinced that gas generators are alot more prone to have problems than chainsaws.

I've seen and heard about alot of this problem since the storm. A friend had 2 almost new generators, and both did it. The electronic components got fried for some reason. I'm convinced that gas generators are alot more prone to have problems than chainsaws.

Ain't that the truth

Thanks guys. I messed with it a little more today. Replaced capacitor and bypassed breakers. Using the drill trick it will start and spin slowly until you manually rev the engine. Then it spins fast. If you hold the engine wot and then pull the drill trigger it spins fast right off the bat. So I think I may have a problem with the govener. Sound right? The engine is an old honda gx240 8 horsepower. Thanks

If that model genset is a constant speed unit, then yes - it should be running around 3600 rpm for full output and the govenor or throttle linkage may be the problem.

If that model has an electronic idle control then the controller board/speed sensor for load demand may be the problem.

Another test that might help.

Plug in a drop light with a 100W bulb and let us know the brightness of the bulb (they are cheaper than the drill).

be careful!!

My father n law was having issues with his generator, so he took it to some guy who replaced the carb and plug on it. Everything was good on it until he took it home. He wanted a little more "power" out of it so he was fn with something..governor maybe:hmm3grin2orange:..anyway he played with it and before you knew it he was without a fridge, a printer and many light bulbs. i felt bad because his wife was screaming because she didn't know what was going on. If it aint't broke don't fix it.

Another test that might help.

Plug in a drop light with a 100W bulb and let us know the brightness of the bulb (they are cheaper than the drill).

While you are at it, connect a volt meter to the leads of the 100 watt lamp and check the actual voltage under load.

If that model genset is a constant speed unit, then yes - it should be running around 3600 rpm for full output and the govenor or throttle linkage may be the problem.

If that model has an electronic idle control then the controller board/speed sensor for load demand may be the problem.

No idle control on this dinosaur. It looks like I may be missing a linkage off the govenor. I'll have to find an ipl and check it out. This thing wasn't ran for at least 7 years that I know of. I believe the govenor was locked down with a wingnut and may have loosened. This may have been a rigged repair. Hard to tell who was looking after this thing throughout the years.

No idle control on this dinosaur. It looks like I may be missing a linkage off the govenor. I'll have to find an ipl and check it out. This thing wasn't ran for at least 7 years that I know of. I believe the govenor was locked down with a wingnut and may have loosened. This may have been a rigged repair. Hard to tell who was looking after this thing throughout the years.

No idle control means it'll start and rev up to 3600+- under no load which should give you 110/120v AC and 60 cycle (assuming the board is 'tuned' in). Beyond that the governor will
function to maintain the 3600 rpm as loads come and go.

Don't have a service/shop manual on the honda gx240. If i did, you'd have it.

Take some good photos of card area and what's left of the governor linkage and post it up.
Lot of talented folks here that might be able to spot the missing parts. Worth a shot.
Might think about thowing up a sperate thread for the honda gx240 governor...

No idle control means it'll start and rev up to 3600+- under no load which should give you 110/120v AC and 60 cycle (assuming the board is 'tuned' in). Beyond that the governor will
function to maintain the 3600 rpm as loads come and go.

Don't have a service/shop manual on the honda gx240. If i did, you'd have it.

Take some good photos of card area and what's left of the governor linkage and post it up.
Lot of talented folks here that might be able to spot the missing parts. Worth a shot.
Might think about thowing up a sperate thread for the honda gx240 governor...

Checked out the linkage further. Its all there. The plate on the generator specs the rpms at 3600. I have found a manual and plan to adjust the govenor. Max rpm for the engine I believe is 3850. The manual throttle lever is attached with a wing nut that can be tightened to over ride the governor and hold the throttle open. Seems to be stock. I guess as long as the throttle stop is set at 3850 it would be fine?? Thanks guys for all the help- Shawn

Good all the linkage is there.
Far as rpm goes, do as 16:1mix suggested and get a voltage reading with the light on.
Should be around 115. With light unplugged, volts should be in range 122-124 is typical at the receptacle. Rpm should be right around 3600 with/without load.

Once the govenor is back working, plugging in a load (say a grinder or frig) the load on the engine should be distinct as the governor opens the thottle to maintain the 3600 for the generator.

Last test you can do, is get an electric clock with seconds hand to verify the gen is producing 60 cycle. Start the engine, plug the clock in, and time compare it to wrist watch over 60 seconds. They should not differ by more 1/2 sec. Some multi meters have the hertz option, but this is a poorman's test.

btw, make sure all loads are unplugged (not just turned off) before starting or stopping the engine.

Figured I'd update this thread. First of all, thank you guys for the help. The generator works great. I've replaced the capacitor and breakers. Also adjusted the governor and valves, reset the idle and top speed. At idle and under some load its putting out 138 volts. Now I just have to get it off the bench and get backyto the saws.

Latest posts

Back