Propane Generator Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a generator has been on my "to do list" for quite some time but the recent ice storm made me go ahead and come up with a small 5500 watt unit in disrepair that I managed to get going through this storm. I plan on fixing it up nice now that I have time and I am curious about the propane conversions available because no more often that we will need it keeping gas on hand gets tedious trying to keep it changed out. Will they run off of a 33 gallon tank and for how long? How well do the dual fuel conversions work so I could normally keep running gasoline under normal circumstances. If I decide to rebuild the kohler should I possibility look at bumping up the compression to make up for the power loss of propane?

Also this generator is pretty old and doesn't have the best muffler in the world does anyone have any ideas on where I could get a better muffler to swap on?

Propane has about 75 percent of the btus of gasoline. 85000-91000 compared 114000. So figure how many hours 33 gallons of gas will last you and then multiply by .75 and you will be close. Is the kohler an old K series kohler??? If so I would recommend not rebuilding it as its cheaper to buy a new engine such as a briggs vanguard or honda for what parts are going to cost and they are as durable and much, much, more fuel effiecient and slightly quieter. With todays gas prices you cant afford to use the old flat head motors for hours on end. Smart shopping on Ebay during off periods of the year has netted me some good deals on small gas motors. Subaru robin is another good brand.
If you don't take my advise and rebuild the kohler, don't raise the compression if you want to run it as a dual fuel engine. It will detonate on regular gas with high compression pistons.

As far as noise is concerned. All air cooled engines typically have mufflers just a few decibles over their internal noise. Putting a quiet muffler is not helpfull typically as the internal noise is so bad and then you will be always wondering whats wrong with your engine. Sounds like a jar full of marble in a huge marching band drum rolling down a mountian. Without the specially designed sound enclosures that the quiet generators have the quietest you are going to get is with a new high quality OHV motor such as the vanguard, honda GX series, or robin EX

No the motor is not that old I have one of those on my old cub cadet mower, this is a newer OHV motor the rebuild kit is 86$ I looked last night.

Another thought I had is how long do the actual generators last and what's the maintenance on them look like?

You don't say what brand of generator. Just like any thing some are junk and are throw always. Some run forever and need only a bearing change now and then after thousands of hours. But typically no maintenance. Most generator set fail for neglect

Get running well, skip rebuild sell and get a new unit designed specifically for propane or even better if you have ng heating system get one that runs on ng. Just need to have a line plumbed out for the genny. Course if you want to keep it portable for other uses then it back to the lp. Gas and diesel have been so screwed up by the epa mandates that neither is a particular good choice for back up power anymore.

Latest posts

Back