Backup generator opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read all 8 pages of responses, and don't know what your total load requirement is, but have you considered using 2 generators? I have NG at the house which is what my hot water heater, furnace, and stove use. A 5KW/4KW generator will power my entire house minus the AC. That includes 2 refrigerators, a small chest freezer, and 2 large chest freezers. The only thing I have to be carful of is making sure I don't plug in all of the freezers and fridges at the same time because the starting load on the refrigerators is so high. If I get everything hooked up, and then connect them one at a time, off setting the fridges by 15 min or so, everything is fine.

With that said, does it make more sense for you to use 2 generators? One to power everything you're currently able support, and another to specifically power the additional load? On the down side, that means you have 2 engines to maintain. On the up side, if you use them frequently, they are going to be lighter and easier to move, and you can determine WHEN you're using each of them so that you're conserving more fuel. Just a thought.

Two generators is a really good plan. Usually a small, quiet, fuel sipper, something that'll run the fridges, internet stuff, a couple lights, CPAP. Then a big monster for big loads, doesn't have to be as quiet. Fire the monster up when you want to run the well pump, or other big loads. Save you a lot of fuel and noise compared to running the big monster constantly.

Just getting an inverter drive saves a good bit of money, just as does a little diesel genset over gasoline or gaseous powered generators. Only downside is up front cost. My little mosa 6.5kw with a air-cooled yanmar on it uses less than half the fuel my Coleman 5.5kw generator does under the same load.

I have ran everything I needed easily on a single 7k generator. There were years where I had 3 refrigerators and 3 deep freezers, plus the well pump, washing machine, microwave, furnace blower, lighting, and electronics. all yiu need to common sense. For me the largest load is the well pump. I have a 200 gallon pressure tank so I have decent capacity. I would start out letting the well pump run and fill the tank then trip the breaker. At that point I had plenty of water and could run whatever else was needed. The microwave is the next big draw so just suck it up and live without it. As for AC I do not use it when the power is on so hard to miss when it is off. Folks it is science but not rocket science.

Inverter is quieter too. Running my inverter genny on my back patio, I hear it less than the neighbor's non-inverter genny running across the street. Zero chance I'm running a 7kw generator 24/7 and listening to the WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH for days on end.

My solar power system is dead silent, except when it's hot out and the cooling fans on the trailer are running. Then it sounds exactly like a car's auxiliary electric cooling fans, because that's what they are.

Even if I didn't have solar panels on top, just the huge battery bank would be a tremendous bonus. Run the generator for a few hours one day, then not at all for three days, instead of 24/7.

Inverter is quieter too. Running my inverter genny on my back patio, I hear it less than the neighbor's non-inverter genny running across the street. Zero chance I'm running a 7kw generator 24/7 and listening to the WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH for days on end.

My solar power system is dead silent, except when it's hot out and the cooling fans on the trailer are running. Then it sounds exactly like a car's auxiliary electric cooling fans, because that's what they are.

Even if I didn't have solar panels on top, just the huge battery bank would be a tremendous bonus. Run the generator for a few hours one day, then not at all for three days, instead of 24/7.
Well I do not place it next to my house.

Well it seems yesterday another thread went off the rails with bickering and off topic banter regarding transportation laws. It got quite heated in this thread. I feel this is a subject that deserves it's own thread. It would be my hope that we can have a nice conversation. It is also my hope that possibly someone could move the posts regarding the subject that are in this thread to the new thread........... @pdqdl @pioneerguy600 @les-or-more

Here is the thread I started

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...ation-laws-in-your-state.369932/#post-8086097

Consider a Duramax generator (12000/9500w or 13000/10500w) for more power. Dual fuel is convenient. Research user reviews for engine reliability. Ensure the generator's power doesn't exceed your 10,000w Generlink switch limit. Portable generators are cost-effective, considering your setup. Regular maintenance is key. Position for noise control.
The duromax, Yep, I called it a duramax too, is the generator I have decided to go with. The 12000w is few hundred dollars cheaper than the 13000 model and I dont know if going with the 13000w is worth it for my use. As for the 10000w transfer switch, that only becomes relevant if I try and pull 10000w or more, the over size of the generator wont mean anything if I dont go over the 10000w demand.

Just getting an inverter drive saves a good bit of money, just as does a little diesel genset over gasoline or gaseous powered generators. Only downside is up front cost. My little mosa 6.5kw with a air-cooled yanmar on it uses less than half the fuel my Coleman 5.5kw generator does under the same load.
Up front cost is a huge consideration for most of us. My power goes out a couple times a year and it is typically restored within 5-10 hours. Over the last 20 years, I've probably only burned $300-$400 through my portable gasser to keep the lights and heat on when the power was out. I don't think I could go to diesel or natural gas and save enough on fuel to justify the initial cost.

I haven't read all 8 pages of responses, and don't know what your total load requirement is, but have you considered using 2 generators? I have NG at the house which is what my hot water heater, furnace, and stove use. A 5KW/4KW generator will power my entire house minus the AC. That includes 2 refrigerators, a small chest freezer, and 2 large chest freezers. The only thing I have to be carful of is making sure I don't plug in all of the freezers and fridges at the same time because the starting load on the refrigerators is so high. If I get everything hooked up, and then connect them one at a time, off setting the fridges by 15 min or so, everything is fine.

With that said, does it make more sense for you to use 2 generators? One to power everything you're currently able support, and another to specifically power the additional load? On the down side, that means you have 2 engines to maintain. On the up side, if you use them frequently, they are going to be lighter and easier to move, and you can determine WHEN you're using each of them so that you're conserving more fuel. Just a thought.
Not sure who you are replying to, but I am going to answer anyways. Yes I thought about using two generators, but the generator I am currently using actually belongs to my son. I have been storing it for him and using it for the past few years while he was traveling with his work. Sooner or later he is going to want it back so I am going to need to buy one anyways. Might as well buy one that will do the job. As for using two, to power different loads, I hadnt thought about it, but I am already setup to be able to do such a thing since my shop and sheds are powered thru my breaker box so all I would have to do is turn off a breaker and connect the generator to my shed. The drawback is that in my shop I have 3 phase equipment with a phase converter. I think it would take a big generator to provide that kind of power, and I dont do that much in the shop in good weather, doubt I would do much during bad weather. Also, I already have a battery backup system with inverter to power my freezers so running another generator wouldnt really benefit me any. As for maybe needing more power for larger loads, I already have a connection with a 50amp outlet, if I find the generator 30amp plug wont do the job, I can always go back to the method I am currently using and plug into the 50amp outlet on the generator and bypass the generlink althogether

I prefer a tow behind 30kw whisperwatt next to my house that has gas. Can’t stand it to automatically cut on when the power goes out. I prefer to walk out in the Hurricane and the diesel fumes blowing into my neighbors house. Just my two cents:)

I prefer a tow behind 30kw whisperwatt next to my house that has gas. Can’t stand it to automatically cut on when the power goes out. I prefer to walk out in the Hurricane and the diesel fumes blowing into my neighbors house. Just my two cents:)
30kw reminds me of the old generators the railroad used to use to power our mancamp. 671 detroits, howling all night long. You either got use to the noise or you didnt sleep. In later years, the generators got bigger, 75kw and 100kw, but the old 671s where done away with. Deutz and then later Johndeer was the engines of choice.

30kw reminds me of the old generators the railroad used to use to power our mancamp. 671 detroits, howling all night long. You either got use to the noise or you didnt sleep. In later years, the generators got bigger, 75kw and 100kw, but the old 671s where done away with. Deutz and then later Johndeer was the engines of choice.
Not sure if the sarcasm didn’t come across. Who would own a house with gas already installed and have a 30kw trailer pulled diesel rumbling and blowing smoke into their neighbors house. And you are right. I had a 70kw mq with an appleseed, sorry Johnny deer running 24/7 in California. Awesome setup and the flowers were great.

Many years ago I worked for the USCEC at a Lock and Dam. We had a large diesel generator as we could not be with power, freight had to move through the lock and the dam needed constant gate changes. We had a huge old 2 cycle Detroit diesel generator. Of course they were screamers. It was set to randomly cycle on no matter if there was an outage or not. If you were standing next to it when it fired up it would scare you to death. They replaced it 30 years ago with a newer Onan with a Cummins. It was a bit quieter but not much.

Wont run as long on propane as it will on gas either. My other generator will run all night on a tank of fuel, about 1 gal per hour. I want the dual fuel because I keep a few 30lb bottles of propane on hand and it dont go bad like gas will. I also keep about 20gal of gas on hand mixed with stabil. Worst outage I have lived thru was 9days back in 93. Most recent was 3 days. Usually about a day and they have the power back on.
30 lb bottles of propane might be on the edge of light, especially in the winter. They tend to get icing on the regular vapor presure regulators. I have a costco chinese 3 fuel 9400 (firman), and now have upgraded to a cummins 20Kw unit. Money well spent. The generator was cheaper than the install. The propane setup only cost about 400 for plumbing from the 250 gallon tank with dual stage liquid to gas regulator, and the tank of propane was about 500 to fill ($3.02/gallon). The generator unit can burn up to 15 gallons per hour max, but generally uses about 5=7 gallons per hour with its 60 inch engine. Best of all, I don't even have to lift a finger to make it happen. That time savings really makes the cost worthwhile. Especially for the times when I might not be home, or really don't want to get out of bed.

That's good. maybe even loosen the spark plug wires for an occasional backfire.

Seeks pretty high but of course California is quite a bit different.
Residential propane delivered by truck. We have propane at the local tractor supply that is 80 cents a gallon more. Don't forget, we have a multi billion dollar surplus of tax money that the state has bled from us working folks.

Latest posts

Back