Backup generator opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transportation rules are different in every state just like most laws.

Not by much. The Feds consolidated the rules many years back. Federal DOT regulations are the rule, nation-wide. Exemptions for greater weights and measures are available in some states, but the minimum dimensions are set on the Federal level.

The placarding and driver qualifications are also pretty much mandated by the Feds to each state. I can tell you more about the history of these changes and why the Feds did it, but that is for another thread.

Not by much. The Feds consolidated the rules many years back. Federal DOT regulations are the rule, nation-wide. Exemptions for greater weights and measures are available in some states, but the minimum dimensions are set on the Federal level.

The placarding and driver qualifications are also pretty much mandated by the Feds to each state. I can tell you more about the history of these changes and why the Feds did it, but that is for another thread.
TO add to this, the FED rules are in line with and superceded by NATO rules for hazmat stuff, so to some extent they are internationally recognized.
Weights and axles have a fed standard, but as you said each state sets its own legal axle weights as well as axle spacings otherwise known as bridge laws.
CA for example only allows 80,000 pounds regardless of axles, I think Oregon too? were WA has a max of 105500 with legal axle weights, WY is somewhere around 134000? with less axles then we have in WA...

Yes federal law is federal law but state transportation laws do change between states, carry on believing what you want. As for your comment about "minimum dimensions" I have no idea what that means

Bill, among your many talents and experiences, I don't believe you ever drove a semi-truck, over the road. I have.

In fact, I'm pretty certain my Class A CDL certifies me by every state in the union to drive a commercial vehicle in every single one. Since you don't know what I mean about "minimum dimensions", I will clarify that. I will confess, that my statement would seem rather confusing to anyone not fully in sync with what I was thinking about. Sorry 'bout that.

Once upon a time, different states had wildly different maximum length and gross vehicle weights for trucks. The Feds came in and effectively said to each state, "These are the smallest maximum weights (and length) we will allow you to set for travel on roads we are subsidizing". Hence, a minimum permitted maximum GVR & length for each state to limit truck sizes to.

During the early 80's and prior, three states were obstructing efficient cross-county travel for the whole USA! Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas were united in an evil plot to make tons of money by fining trucks for exceeding the maximum length and weights allowed by nearly all the other states. A 65 foot long truck could be loaded up with 80,000 pounds of lumber in Oregon, and travel legally until it came to Illinois. Then it got pulled over at a scale house coming into the state, and would be issued a giant fine for exceeding 73,280 pounds and would have to pay some other trucking company to have part of the load removed so as to allow it to proceed. It would also get a hefty fine for driving over-length in that state. It was a racket, and those three states created a vertical barrier across nearly the whole country for any trucking between the two coasts. Obviously, you could go south of Arkansas to go under the legal trap, but that wasn't efficient, either.

Along came Ronald Reagan and his deregulation changes, and the Feds imposed new "minimum" maximums on all the states in 1982, and you could go clear across the country, knowing that you wouldn't get trapped in some state. I haven't checked recently, but it seems to me that Wyoming has an upper weight limit of more than 80,000lbs, and Michigan is still crazy heavy at 164,000 lbs. That is a "grandfathered" law, but such weights can only be reached by adding more axles to a truck, and limited to 11 axles.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/truck-axle-weight-limits-by-state

Bill, among your many talents and experiences, I don't believe you ever drove a semi-truck, over the road. I have.

In fact, I'm pretty certain my Class A CDL certifies me by every state in the union to drive a commercial vehicle in every single one. Since you don't know what I mean about "minimum dimensions", I will clarify that. I will confess, that my statement would seem rather confusing to anyone not fully in sync with what I was thinking about. Sorry 'bout that.

Once upon a time, different states had wildly different maximum length and gross vehicle weights for trucks. The Feds came in and effectively said to each state, "These are the smallest maximum weights (and length) we will allow you to set for travel on roads we are subsidizing". Hence, a minimum permitted maximum GVR & length for each state to limit truck sizes to.

During the early 80's and prior, three states were obstructing efficient cross-county travel for the whole USA! Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas were united in an evil plot to make tons of money by fining trucks for exceeding the maximum length and weights allowed by nearly all the other states. A 65 foot long truck could be loaded up with 80,000 pounds of lumber in Oregon, and travel legally until it came to Illinois. Then it got pulled over at a scale house coming into the state, and would be issued a giant fine for exceeding 73,280 pounds and would have to pay some other trucking company to have part of the load removed so as to allow it to proceed. It would also get a hefty fine for driving over-length in that state. It was a racket, and those three states created a vertical barrier across nearly the whole country for any trucking between the two coasts. Obviously, you could go south of Arkansas to go under the legal trap, but that wasn't efficient, either.

Along came Ronald Reagan and his deregulation changes, and the Feds imposed new "minimum" maximums on all the states in 1982, and you could go clear across the country, knowing that you wouldn't get trapped in some state. I haven't checked recently, but it seems to me that Wyoming has an upper weight limit of more than 80,000lbs, and Michigan is still crazy heavy at 164,000 lbs. That is a "grandfathered" law, but such weights can only be reached by adding more axles to a truck, and limited to 11 axles.
Transportation laws differ between states You can continue to argue about known facts which is your prerogative. Go try to haul from Illinois to Iowa and tell the "blue boy" his Iowa laws do not matter..................

Last word Bill strikes again!

last words GIF

I use a 7KW unit and power everything I need. I do not use A/C so that is never an issue. In 2008 when the kids were here we had 4 freezeers full of meat, all the electronics, deep well pump, and lighting. I used it without any issues and still do today. I wired a 5KW in for my father then as that was what was available. He later replaced it with a 20KW unit. I tried explaining that he was wasting money but some folks do not get it. The house had a 60 amp service..............folks do the math.
To be clear, the 7KW generator is solar and will run everything minus A/C?
I have portable 7500/8500 gas generator that is loud as hell, burns about 12 gal per day and needs an oil change every 100hrs.
Been thinking about getting a portable solar unit that would be pre-charged, switched manually to the house, and re-charged/maintained by solar. I just don’t know what size would be appropriate.

Thoughts??

I have portable 7500/8500 gas generator that is loud as hell, burns about 12 gal per day and needs an oil change every 100hrs.
Been thinking about getting a portable solar unit that would be pre-charged, switched manually to the house, and re-charged/maintained by solar. I just don’t know what size would be appropriate.

Thoughts??
Hello Sir,

No it is not solar. My electric bill runs $30-$40 per month from the good ole coal powered plant. I see no need in solar. I just use a gas generator for when we get hit with storms.

Bill

Thoughts??

Figure out exactly what you want to run, and for how long, and do an energy audit. It's like suggesting a chainsaw without knowing what wood you're cutting, have to know what you want to run before being able to suggest anything.

Figure out exactly what you want to run, and for how long, and do an energy audit. It's like suggesting a chainsaw without knowing what wood you're cutting, have to know what you want to run before being able to suggest anything.
With the advent of LED bulbs i can light up my whole house at less than 300 watts of power used.

Yet you still post after the discussion is over

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Last_Word
"Debates are like boxing matches. Try to make your opponent do the footwork so they get exhausted while you preserve your energy for the final blow Last Word. If they bring any arguments you cannot immediately refute, play dumb and ask for clarification, it helps wear off the adversary's patience. Ask for more sources and better sources (ideally in that order). .... You can conserve your own energy by posting one question on ..., posting a second question ..., "​
Ad infinitum. I think they have your style figured out, Bill.

TO add to this, the FED rules are in line with and superceded by NATO rules for hazmat stuff, so to some extent they are internationally recognized.
Weights and axles have a fed standard, but as you said each state sets its own legal axle weights as well as axle spacings otherwise known as bridge laws.
CA for example only allows 80,000 pounds regardless of axles, I think Oregon too? were WA has a max of 105500 with legal axle weights, WY is somewhere around 134000? with less axles then we have in WA...

Oregon allows licensing of vehicles up to 105,500#, without a special trip permit

I haven’t ever needed to run that Heavy, hell for 14 years I drove for a Foam company, and even the compression trailers never went over 51,000# gross on 5 axles, which is good for 80,000#

I see chip and other types of trucks with single 53’ trailers licensed for 105,500 daily, on 8 axles, typically 4 axle tractor and 4 axle trailer

Oregon also allows triple trailer combinations up to 105’ long

Doug 😎

Oregon allows licensing of vehicles up to 105,500#, without a special trip permit

I haven’t ever needed to run that Heavy, hell for 14 years I drove for a Foam company, and even the compression trailers never went over 51,000# gross on 5 axles, which is good for 80,000#

I see chip and other types of trucks with single 53’ trailers licensed for 105,500 daily, on 8 axles, typically 4 axle tractor and 4 axle trailer

Oregon also allows triple trailer combinations up to 105’ long

Doug 😎
Your post shows the difference between the states. I find it amazing how some think the laws are the same in all states. I know you do not but some do. Here in Illinois we cannot haul that at all without a special permit. In general it is 80.000lbs. They do periodically raise that to 88,000 in the Fall to haul grain. In the 1980's Illinois wrote a lot of high dollar tickets to the guys hauling 25 ton of tomatoes in steel tanks mounted to steel flatbeds.. They were well over 80K. The Illinois DOT sets scales up on the old highway access road which is 300 feet off Iowa jurisdiction. I will post three pics that hopefully show it. These are pics are taken from the end of the levee

I am in Illinois looking at the welcome to Illinois sign.

2.JPG
I am in the same spot looking at the great state of Iowa, notice that little green sign.......that is Iowa jurisdiction.

CIMG8487.JPG
I am in the same spot looking across to the old "highway". That is where the Illinois DOT likes to set up and hammer folks based on ILLINOIS LAW......3.JPG

I find it amazing how some think the laws are the same in all states.

I find it amazing that you cannot understand basic concepts. For a fellow who claims to have taught high school on such a wide variety of topics, you sure can be as slow and opaque as roofing tar on a wintry morning.

I've told you several times in several ways that the Federal gov't has mandated that no state will have a GVWR maximum weight limit at less than 80k, along with a whole bunch of other laws. I even gave you a link that included a really cool web page that listed states with higher GVWR ratings if you click on the state you wish to learn about.

Now do be a good fellow and let this thread return to being about generators, not trucking regulations.

I find it amazing that you cannot understand basic concepts. For a fellow whol claims to have taught high school on such a wide variety of topics, you sure can be as slow and opaque as roofing tar on a wintry morning.
.............................Now do be a good fellow and let this thread return to being about generators, not trucking regulations.

Now back on topic............ About 20 years ago I had truckloads of Mercury KB6/7 and Disston DA/KA211 saws/engines. Some were used as saws, some as Wajax pumps, some as outdrives, and some as generators. A fine gentleman from California called me about them. He was a old school kart racer that was nearing the end of his career. He was in his early 80's and his son was in his early 60's they were still building vintage REAR karts and wanted to build some great Merc/Disston engines. We made many transactions and he sent me pics.

Now the point is I asked him how he was running his machine shop as I knew where he was located and limited power. He laughed and said well Bill......I bought a train. I asked him to explain. He had bought an old diesel locomotive which of course was coupled to a a generator. He told me he never worried about losing power. I thought it was overkill but at age 82 who really cares

Needing some advice about a backup generator. I current have a 8000w/7000w gas portable I drag out when the power goes off. I have found that it is just a little to small to pull everything in my house. It will pull the heat and the well pump, but not at the same time. I recently purchased a Generlink transfer switch from my electric company. It hasnt arrived yet, but they install it. It is a simple design in that it goes between the meter and meter base, so you dont have to have a electrician to install, no permits or inspection to pay for, and you dont have to rewire your house. I was going to put in a generac system, but the guy that sells them never came out to give me a estimate and it gave me time to think about the other option. Knowing what I already know about the generator I already have I decided to just upsize a little and stick with the portable. Cost being a big deciding factor. The other factor is I can get a generator that runs on dual fuel, I can suck gas out of my truck it it become necessary. The generac runs on propane, we dont have natural gas here, and means I would have to get a big tank to set somewhere around the house.
Anyways, I am looking at the duramax 12000/9500w or the duramax 13000/10500w models. The generlink transfer switch is rated for 10,000w. My concerns are the duramax engine. The china engine I just havent heard anything good or bad about them. Any opinions.
Consider a Duramax generator (12000/9500w or 13000/10500w) for more power. Dual fuel is convenient. Research user reviews for engine reliability. Ensure the generator's power doesn't exceed your 10,000w Generlink switch limit. Portable generators are cost-effective, considering your setup. Regular maintenance is key. Position for noise control.

Back