Backup generator opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Residential propane delivered by truck. We have propane at the local tractor supply that is 80 cents a gallon more. Don't forget, we have a multi billion dollar surplus of tax money that the state has bled from us working folks.
I have never had to pay that price for LP. There was one winter it shot way up to over $5/gallon but I lucked out on my delivery time. We normally tie to to grain dryer contacts and get the price down.

I have never had to pay that price for LP. There was one winter it shot way up to over $5/gallon but I lucked out on my delivery time. We normally tie to to grain dryer contacts and get the price down.
At the time, I was only hoping that it didn't continue in its upward climb. I have purchased over a thousand gallons in the last year.

Burn wood

Propane prices have always swung pretty wild here which has kept me from ever converting to it. Unfortunately natural gas isn't available on my road which leaves me with very limited options and is why i went back to burning wood when we moved into this house. Propane was right at $3 here last year. A friend just had his tank filled @ $2.72. Given the time of year it likely won't get any cheaper.

I burn wood, always have, always will that is until I am ashes myself. I love LP and use it for whatever I cannot fuel with wood. Years ago when we would head to tractor and saw shows my wife always wanted to pay for electricity in the campground. I never understood that when we could just use LP. I have a 1000 gallon tank. with a liquid tube and I can fill any tank........albeit slow without a pump. If I was to raise the tank it would help though. My electric bill is minimal and so is my LP bill. I am currently using about 9 KW a day in electricity

Up front cost is a huge consideration for most of us. My power goes out a couple times a year and it is typically restored within 5-10 hours. Over the last 20 years, I've probably only burned $300-$400 through my portable gasser to keep the lights and heat on when the power was out. I don't think I could go to diesel or natural gas and save enough on fuel to justify the initial cost.
Yeah, that is understandable. Not everyone has power outtage issues like we do. Our biggest issue is we're the dead end of the line. So zero priority for met-ed to get the power back on. Been out of power for days on end already. Thays when you appreciate having a more efficient generator. When I had issues with the capacitor on my mosa, I ended up borrowing a friend's Hobart welder to power the house. Went from like half a gallon an hour to over a gallon an hour. That hurt the pocket book. (I now have spare capacitors on hand and a second generator )

30 lb bottles of propane might be on the edge of light, especially in the winter. They tend to get icing on the regular vapor presure regulators. I have a costco chinese 3 fuel 9400 (firman), and now have upgraded to a cummins 20Kw unit. Money well spent. The generator was cheaper than the install. The propane setup only cost about 400 for plumbing from the 250 gallon tank with dual stage liquid to gas regulator, and the tank of propane was about 500 to fill ($3.02/gallon). The generator unit can burn up to 15 gallons per hour max, but generally uses about 5=7 gallons per hour with its 60 inch engine. Best of all, I don't even have to lift a finger to make it happen. That time savings really makes the cost worthwhile. Especially for the times when I might not be home, or really don't want to get out of bed.

Are you sure that you have your burn rates right?

Over 15 gallons/hour at full load?😳😳😳

We have a 20KW Honeywell, which uses Generac components, and the manual lists it at 3.87 gallons/hour full load, and 2.00 gallons/hour at half load. You’re almost FOUR TIMES, our fuel burn rate, and at $3.00/gallon, that is $45.00/hour for electricity, I would be getting out of bed to start a portable for that.

Sure glad we didn’t get a Cummins

Doug 😎

30 lb bottles of propane might be on the edge of light, especially in the winter. They tend to get icing on the regular vapor presure regulators.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere to not use anything less than a 40lb bottle because of icing. That doesnt mean you cant use a 20lb bottle from your gas bbq grill, just that it will freeze up. I know at one time I was going to convert my wood fireplace to propane and the gas company wouldnt connect anything less than a 250gal tank because they said it would ice up in winter. I didnt do the conversion and bought a 1500w fake electric log setup. The electric logs provide enough heat to keep me warm and will run just fine off my 8000w generator. I also keep some firewood laying around and can just pull the electric heater out and build a fire if it becomes necessary.

I just got 1250 gallons delivered in Nevada County, 40 miles from Paradise, for $1.599/gallon. Granted it was a new customer price, 30¢ off the otherwise going rate of $1.899.
That sounds much more inline with pricing.

I have propane at home but i don't use it except for my kitchen stove i got ventless heaters but rarely use them because prices swing wildly delivered right now is 2.59 per gallon. Not going to pay that when i got wood.

I have propane at home but i don't use it except for my kitchen stove i got ventless heaters but rarely use them because prices swing wildly delivered right now is 2.59 per gallon. Not going to pay that when i got wood.
You burning wood yet?

I picked up my generator last sat. Duromax 13000 eh. I saved $500 by driving the 100 miles and not getting the "free" shipping. Total cost out the door was $1000. Power company also installed the generlink transfer switch last week. Had to charge the battery, but it fired right up. I guess I am ready for the predicted snow storms this winter. I have wood, plenty of kerosene and plenty of propane for those heaters and I will be refilling all my gas cans in the next few days. As long as any storms dont blow the roof off or blow a tree on the house, I should be set for the occasional 2 or 3 day power outages we get most every year. Next project is to dig out a hole in the little bank and building a small shed for the generator to live in.

Latest posts

Back