Help! I Need a new log truck/ daily driver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey all, I'm in the market for a used truck, preferably a 3/4 or one ton. I have a budget of around 5K. I'm a contractor so I use my truck to haul materials to and from the job site, I tow semi frequently, about once a week on average. I will be hauling logs/ firewood with it, small pieces of equipment, my future father in laws boat (21' CC) . I'm looking for insight on a couple trucks:
1990-1996 f250-f350 gas or diesel
1990-2002 Silverado/ Sierra 2500/3500 gas or diesel
1990-1997 ram 2500/3500 diesel

My dilemma is I need it to be semi presentable, as it will be my daily. But there are very few trucks that fit my criteria. If anybody has any war stories, pros, cons, or any info at all about any trucks I'm looking at, I need to narrow down my search so I can try and find a decent deal.

My next truck will be a 99 or newer F250 or 350. Ideally a 4wd long bed with an extra cab and an automatic. If you want a truck like this is decent shape with the 7.3 power stroke, you're talking about $8-12k at least. Get it with the V10, though, and you can get something pretty decent around $6,000. Don't need 4wd or an extra cab, and it'll be even less. The v10 makes lots of power and has very similar performance to the power stroke. You suffer a little fuel economy, but the purchase price is way lower and maintenance is less costly also. The v10 is very popular in motor homes, utility trucks, even i think in some backup generators. The 10 makes quite a bit more power than the 5.4, but they don't usually cost much if any more. I think people get scared away by the mileage, but it's not really much worse than the 5.4. I didn't see you mention mileage as a factor in your decision, which makes sense. Unless you're towing long distances frequently(then get the cummins), they'll all do the job and burn lots of gas, but be making you money while doing it. All the modular Ford motors can run a long long time, see taxis and police cars as examples.

Personally, I think the post '97 Fords are much more "presentable" than the pre '97s, unless of course you put nice paint, wheels and tires on the older models. Also, the modular motors make quite a bit more power. Yes, they have problems too, but they are known and fixable. The cabs of the post '97 are much nicer and larger also.

I can't speak for the other brands, except that I've heard good things about the 6.0 gasser the Chevy. And that it's very unlikely that you'll find a decent Cummins for under $5000.

Personally, I'd look for the newest gas 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or Chevy with under 150k that you can have for the money.

My next truck will be a 99 or newer F250 or 350. Ideally a 4wd long bed with an extra cab and an automatic. If you want a truck like this is decent shape with the 7.3 power stroke, you're talking about $8-12k at least. Get it with the V10, though, and you can get something pretty decent around $6,000. Don't need 4wd or an extra cab, and it'll be even less. The v10 makes lots of power and has very similar performance to the power stroke. You suffer a little fuel economy, but the purchase price is way lower and maintenance is less costly also. The v10 is very popular in motor homes, utility trucks, even i think in some backup generators. The 10 makes quite a bit more power than the 5.4, but they don't usually cost much if any more. I think people get scared away by the mileage, but it's not really much worse than the 5.4. I didn't see you mention mileage as a factor in your decision, which makes sense. Unless you're towing long distances frequently(then get the cummins), they'll all do the job and burn lots of gas, but be making you money while doing it. All the modular Ford motors can run a long long time, see taxis and police cars as examples.

Personally, I think the post '97 Fords are much more "presentable" than the pre '97s, unless of course you put nice paint, wheels and tires on the older models. Also, the modular motors make quite a bit more power. Yes, they have problems too, but they are known and fixable. The cabs of the post '97 are much nicer and larger also.

I can't speak for the other brands, except that I've heard good things about the 6.0 gasser the Chevy. And that it's very unlikely that you'll find a decent Cummins for under $5000.

Personally, I'd look for the newest gas 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or Chevy with under 150k that you can have for the money.

the 99+ are slightly out of my budget, I can spend more, but I don't want too. I had planned on getting an 07 f350 6.0 but my soon to be fiancé just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe, which will be used as "our car" so I don't need anything that nice. Plus I want to get engaged soon (then married, then a house etc...) I just need a truck to drive to and from work, to pick up wood, and just do manly nonsense with for the next couple of years. MPG's are barely on my radar, I'm more concerned with longevity. I just found a nice 93 f350 dually. 7.3 Idi with 135k for 5500. And I have heard some great things about those old IDI's

As far as the 6.0 gassers they seem to be far and few in between in the 5k range. I've been looking for them for a while.

Also I am in no way shape or form expecting a pristine truck, I meant presentable as in it needs to be whole, and all one color, not 4. Dings, dents, scratches, some rust is ok. I'm in the rust belt so that's one of my main concerns with a truck that's almost as old as I am! (Born in 92' I'm sure some of you older guys have clothes older than I am)

Keep looking for a 99 and up super duty ford. Don't pass up a 5.4l. They aren't going to win any speed contests but they will pull whatever you need. It is a good long lived engine that can last 300k miles with a little maintenance. Long stroke slow revving torque motors.

I have had lots of trucks over the years and nothing compares to the super duty. The 250 and 350 are the same trucks. Frame, engine, springs, brakes, trans, everything but the lift block under the rear springs. 99-02 has leaf springs and live axle in the front which is a plus in my book. Also the early 2 valve motors without variable valve timing are more durable at the cost of some power. The frames, suspension , and axles of these trucks is really a step heavier than anything in its class

This load doesn't have my truck on the helpers nor does it stress the brakes even with the tongue loaded trailer.
image.jpeg

The Chevy trucks aren't bad either. The vortec motors are the pinnacle of small block technology. They just aren't as heavy as the super duty

I would avoid a dodge truck like the plague. They are light duty at best.

From my recommendations you can see that I don't believe a truck needs to be that powerful. Small blocks and gearing will get you where you need to go. Unless you want a diesel or big block just because, you don't really need one. If you want one you will pay for it.

I would stay away from the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. They had some problems with them and they can be expensive to fix. The 7.3 Dually with the power stroke sounds like a really good price for a low mile power stroke. Check it over good. I had a 97 F-250 with the 5.4 and it did all I ever wanted it to do. Upgraded to an 2009 F-350 with the V-10. We deliver storage sheds with it and usually are pulling 5-10 thousand pounds pretty regular. Never had any problems yet. Gas mileage is the same weather your pulling a 12x20 shed or just going to the grocery store, 7-8 per gallon, thats it. The diesel motor was an $8,000 upgrade in my truck. If I was pulling a skid steer every day I might have went with a diesel. But with all the new emission stuff on them now your mileage is a little better but not much.

There is a 95 f350 dually near me that only had 70k on it for $5000. Great shape, all power, 2wd though and it's a 5 speed. I'm in NE MD, (Fair Hill), if you want I can get pics and info.

There is a 95 f350 dually near me that only had 70k on it for $5000. Great shape, all power, 2wd though and it's a 5 speed. I'm in NE MD, (Fair Hill), if you want I can get pics and info.

If it's close enough that you can stop by and take a couple of pictures that would be great! 2wd is ok if it's a dually. Thanks! If I end with the truck I'll have to buy you a beer or two

Shop around more. I picked up a 91 F-Super Duty, 7.3 idi and 48k miles (yes, not 148k) with flatbed for $3000. Had $2000 worth of almost new toolboxes and welding gear on it still too. Must had 300lbs of 7018 rod!

For what you are describing I would not consider a non duallie, and it'd need a flatbed.

Can buy mid 2000s F450s and 550s for 4-7k at auction.

The idi Fords are dogs. My 300 I6 makes about as much power as a idi diesel. I'm sticking with my guns on this one. '97 or newer Ford.

Also, I'm not sure why you're saying 2wd is okay, but only as a dually. The duals will give you more flotation, so you might not sink as bad, but they give less traction in many situation, like snow or ice. A 2wd dually is about the worst thing to drive on snow. If you're towing mid sized loads, and only occasionally, a dually seems like a bad choice. Have you priced E-rated truck tires lately? A set of decent 16" tires for a 3/4 is gonna run you $800+. Add 50% for a dually.

If you don't need an extra cab, or 4wd, you can get a '97+ Ford well within your budget. I think you can even have one or the other, just not both. And T mainus is right, the 5.4 will do the job. I'd take a 5.4 over the 6.9, 7.3idi, 351, or 460.

Also, just for the sake of clarity, the power stroke is way different than a 7.3 with a turbo. Completely different motor. They started on in 94 or 95. The 7.3 idi was available with a dealer installed turbo for some years before the power stroke.

Shop around more. I picked up a 91 F-Super Duty, 7.3 idi and 48k miles (yes, not 148k) with flatbed for $3000. Had $2000 worth of almost new toolboxes and welding gear on it still too.
This needs pictures. I'm jealous of your hydroboost brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep looking for a 99 and up super duty ford. Don't pass up a 5.4l. They aren't going to win any speed contests but they will pull whatever you need. It is a good long lived engine that can last 300k miles with a little maintenance. Long stroke slow revving torque motors.

I have had lots of trucks over the years and nothing compares to the super duty. The 250 and 350 are the same trucks. Frame, engine, springs, brakes, trans, everything but the lift block under the rear springs. 99-02 has leaf springs and live axle in the front which is a plus in my book. Also the early 2 valve motors without variable valve timing are more durable at the cost of some power. The frames, suspension , and axles of these trucks is really a step heavier than anything in its class

This load doesn't have my truck on the helpers nor does it stress the brakes even with the tongue loaded trailer.
View attachment 522932

The Chevy trucks aren't bad either. The vortec motors are the pinnacle of small block technology. They just aren't as heavy as the super duty

I would avoid a dodge truck like the plague. They are light duty at best.

From my recommendations you can see that I don't believe a truck needs to be that powerful. Small blocks and gearing will get you where you need to go. Unless you want a diesel or big block just because, you don't really need one. If you want one you will pay for it.

I cant nock on a dodge. we have 3/4 ton dodge gas burners at work and they go through it all. Haul thousands of pounds of equipment and they keep going. What i would stay away from is a 6.0 powerstroke. Very hard to work on. You have to take the cab off to replace the head gaskets, and the egr system is a huge problem. Now the 7.3'a are just awesome!

The idi Fords are dogs. My 300 I6 makes about as much power as a idi diesel. I'm sticking with my guns on this one. '97 or newer Ford.

Yeah they're slow but I drive like a grandpa anyway. I'd like a 97+ and I've only been looking for a week or so now but the deals are all on the older trucks, I missed an 01 f350 4x4 dually with the powerstroke for 4900 bucks by about 15 minutes.

Also, I'm not sure why you're saying 2wd is okay, but only as a dually. The duals will give you more flotation, so you might not sink as bad, but they give less traction in many situation, like snow or ice. A 2wd dually is about the worst thing to drive on snow. If you're towing mid sized loads, and only occasionally, a dually seems like a bad choice. Have you priced E-rated truck tires lately? A set of decent 16" tires for a 3/4 is gonna run you $800+. Add 50% for a dually.

My uncle has plowed with an 89' Chevy 3500 dually that's 2wd for the past 27 years and hasn't had a problem. Snow tires and some weight in the bed and you're fine. Tires are expensive, but that's just part of the cost of driving a truck that can easily haul ( payload and towing wise)

If you don't need an extra cab, or 4wd, you can get a '97+ Ford well within your budget. I think you can even have one or the other, just not both. And T mainus is right, the 5.4 will do the job. I'd take a 5.4 over the 6.9, 7.3idi, 351, or 460.

I'd love an extra cab 4x4 but I don't need them, obviously the ability to throw tools, straps, chains etc... In the back seat would be nice. 4x4 is something I said I'd never go with out and I look at 4x4 trucks first on CL. I like the 5.4's my dad has an 03 with ~170k on it and she's still kicking strong. Rusting like an SOB though

Also, just for the sake of clarity, the power stroke is way different than a 7.3 with a turbo. Completely different motor. They started on in 94 or 95. The 7.3 idi was available with a dealer installed turbo for some years before the power stroke.

This is a good deal on a 12 valve cummins.
2dad428a651c0de954250b33e3ac4c53.jpg

7.3IDI is 185 hp, 340ft lbs.

The 4.9L from the same Era is 145hp, 265ft/lbs.

So no, not even close to the same power.

The IDI certainly is low on power compared to the "hot rod" diesels now, but it still isn't bad. Mine will hold the speed limit fine sitting at 20,000lbs.

This needs pictures. I'm jealous of your hydroboost brakes.

I actually don't have pics of the 2 trucks I bought this year. Got that 91 F-Super Duty and a 97 F450 Quigley 4x4 (no 4wds made those years).

The Super Duty has a flatbed. I haven't decided if I'm going to use it or build one. The standard flatbeds are a bit light duty with everyday loading and dumping of firewood.

I just found a guy with a 1999 f350 dually for sale local to me I'm checking out sometime this week, 155k on a v10... Not too sure about it yet we will see!

the 99+ are slightly out of my budget, I can spend more, but I don't want too. I had planned on getting an 07 f350 6.0 but my soon to be fiancé just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe, which will be used as "our car" so I don't need anything that nice. Plus I want to get engaged soon (then married, then a house etc...) I just need a truck to drive to and from work, to pick up wood, and just do manly nonsense with for the next couple of years. MPG's are barely on my radar, I'm more concerned with longevity. I just found a nice 93 f350 dually. 7.3 Idi with 135k for 5500. And I have heard some great things about those old IDI's

As far as the 6.0 gassers they seem to be far and few in between in the 5k range. I've been looking for them for a while.

Also I am in no way shape or form expecting a pristine truck, I meant presentable as in it needs to be whole, and all one color, not 4. Dings, dents, scratches, some rust is ok. I'm in the rust belt so that's one of my main concerns with a truck that's almost as old as I am! (Born in 92' I'm sure some of you older guys have clothes older than I am)
IDI 7.3 diesel will do you well as a V10 would but not as much snuff as v10. I've had four 7.3 powerstrokes a 96, two 97's, and an 01 and aside from common things (altenators, lift pumps only pre super duty, water pumps, and glow plugs) it's hard to beat them. However they seem to be gold plated as late lol. A dodge in your year range will land you a motor and tranny if it's a manual but the rest will fall off around it. Again be prepared to leave an arm for a dodge with a manual tranny. Chevy in the range posted my family has gone through both gas and diesel from 90 till current and all had good luck. My ol man has a 90 he bought new with 5 speed and runs like a top, hauled his camp trailer for work till 05 when he bought an 04 duramax from a friend 0 complaints either way. My grandpa had a 93 and a 96 Chevy 6.5 diesel manual and only ever had altenator issues as well as my uncle. Late 90s has chevs only real issues we've encountered was the in tank fuel pumps. The duramxes have been trouble free for ones I've been around, but the 01 and 02 lb7 are prone to leaking injectors however not a deal breaker for me anyway. If I found the right deal I wouldn't hesitate. Hope some of this helps and good luck sir

Latest posts

Back