help id hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sajnaj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i came across a dead hardwood that was all ready on the ground i have no idea what kind of wood it is but it gave my splitter one hell of a work out and is heavy ass all can be. and i got a whole lot of it for free. here are some pics.

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg
IMG_4992.jpg

i know i cant offer much help, but it looks like a cross between honey locust and oak. The bark looks like honey locust and the split pieces look like oak, except the one piece looks like honey locust when split.

I agree - sure looks like red oak, especially the picture of the bark. The first picture with the bit of dead white wood at the edge also looks like many oak logs I've cut.

Tim

Usually red oak smell kinda funny when it is wet. It doesn't really dry out though until it is split. I've split alot of big oak logs that been laying for 7 or 8 yrs and when you cut them up they are just as wet then as they were when I first cut them down. I think the bark looks just like red oak.

It is oak for sure. I am not just sure wheather it si red or white but it is oak.

It is oak for sure. I am not just sure wheather it si red or white but it is oak.

I tend to agree...i dont think Beech because the bark on Beech is usually not broke at all...just completely smooth and silver.

Doesn't look like the beech that I typically cut, very different bark and certainly different grain. Looks identical to the 2 oaks that I recently cut (I cheat, I look at the leaves...I am assuming that since this tree was dead for 2 years there aren't any leaves anymore).

Back