Help identify this tree please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curdy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There are several trees on a property I'm looking at in SE PA near the Susquehanna River. Anyone have an idea what it is? This one is probably 12-18" DBH. The ridges are thick.

Thanks!

attachment.php

I know its not black cherry. I wish I had taken a pic of the younger trees, the ridges stick out just as far and are close together. Funny looking.

Hackberry very well could be it. That tree in the pic is bigger, but the bark on the left side looks very much like what I remember. I looked up other pics of it, and I think that's probably it.

If I buy the place, I'll try to remember to report back.

Big hackberry. They are usually more like bumps. As they get bigger they look like yours.:)

The branches of a hackberry tree have a rather smooth, thin bark. The wood is surprisingly dense when cut green. As it dries, the heartwood and sapwood both become spalted.

I agree that we all need more than one Pic to identify this species. Otherwise, we are firing from the hip by looking only at the bark.

Definitely hackberry. Our city streets used to be lined with stately elms and hackberrys. After dutch elm disease wiped out the elms, hackberry are all we have left for boulevard shade trees of any real size.
When in leaf, the leaves are usually pretty gnarly looking from warty galls, and there will be round purple berries.

Unmistakably, Hackberry. And it does make good firewood.

Hackberry makes AWESOME firewood!

Hackberry.

+1 Gotcha! :cheers:

Definitely hackberry. Our city streets used to be lined with stately elms and hackberrys. After dutch elm disease wiped out the elms, hackberry are all we have left for boulevard shade trees of any real size.
When in leaf, the leaves are usually pretty gnarly looking from warty galls, and there will be round purple berries.

Yes, ran out of rep, but my wager is that it's Hackberry also! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back