Help me decide Dolmar 5100 vs Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon water jug I've been collecting loose change in, and I took it to the coinstar machine today. I have 498.37$ to spend on a 50cc Pro saw, which would be a better use of my loose change a Dolmar 5100 or Husky 346xp?

I like the silver clutch cover on the 346xp, but the black top cover on the 5100 is nice, which one should I buy based on this information?

I have a 5 gallon water jug I've been collecting loose change in, and I took it to the coinstar machine today. I have 498.37$ to spend on a 50cc Pro saw, which would be a better use of my loose change a Dolmar 5100 or Husky 346xp?

I like the silver clutch cover on the 346xp, but the black top cover on the 5100 is nice, which one should I buy based on this information?

This is a really good question. what kind of shoes are you going to wear while using the saw? Have you given any thought to make up?

Remember its important to dress for the saw you want to have and not the saw that you already have

Its totally going to depend on the type of water you had in the jug before you put money in it.

Id probably stay away from either though. Neither have "pro" in their names.

This one would be way better:

Hot-Sell-58CC-Chain-Saw.jpg

Has "PRO" right on the bar!!

Local Dolmar, former Husqvarna dealer says the 5100 only blows up 50% of the time, where the 346 blows up 75% of the time. Looks like Dolmar has much better quality control.

I've got some left over Kerosene from this winter, and just did an oil change on the old Ford 8N, so I have plenty of fuel, mix oil, and bar oil to go until the saw blows up.

I had the same question a while back. I went with the 346xp and am glad I did. Do you have a good husky and good dolmar dealer near you? If so, check them both out. The dolmar dealer in my city was a tiny shop that only had one saw (not the 5100). Didn't want to buy one that I hadn't held first.

I also found out from some of the sellers on AS that while the dolmar has a big following on this forum, that is actually not the norm.

I've heard that the dolmar is easier to change out the chain...not sure why, maybe something about the clutch.

I had the same question a while back. I went with the 346xp and am glad I did. Do you have a good husky and good dolmar dealer near you? If so, check them both out. The dolmar dealer in my city was a tiny shop that only had one saw (not the 5100). Didn't want to buy one that I hadn't held first.

I also found out from some of the sellers on AS that while the dolmar has a big following on this forum, that is actually not the norm.

I've heard that the dolmar is easier to change out the chain...not sure why, maybe something about the clutch.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Local Dolmar, former Husqvarna dealer says the 5100 only blows up 50% of the time, where the 346 blows up 75% of the time. Looks like Dolmar has much better quality control.

50% of the time?........75% of the time?............half pregnant!..........Fully dead!

Grab a coin out of the bucket and toss up between black or silver.

Well I have one of each. The 346 is the old edition. The 2 saws are completely different animals. The 346 just screams, is better for limbing and small stuff. The controls are better and the air filter is top notch. The 5100 feels heavier, much more powerful and torqueier(if thats a word). That said, if I was going to replace the two saws with one it would be a 346 NE. Hope this helps.

I have a new in the box 346xp NE not sure if its the cat version or not--got it off ebay 1 night while i was drunk and bored

I don't need this saw so send your money and I'll ship it to you

I opened the box just to look at it--I can send pics this weekend

I also have a Dolmar 5100s works great--not sure i want to sell it but if you make me an offer I'll think about it--I used it for maybe 15 tanks of gas--all small ash firewood cutting

Ok if it is based on the colour of the side cover (silver)Vs the colour of the top cover(black) I say go for the dolmar I only say this because I do not like husqvarna saws and I prefer anything that is made in Germany. Do you think you could scratch up some more change and just go for the PS6500?

And for the record guys it is not just dolmars that blow up stihls do too, I was talking with the guy I am going to be working for and he has had six brand new MS660's smash their crankshafts and break piston rods one of them had the piston rod go through the side of the saw he was lucky it was all before the expiration of his warranty all of them were at the start of this year.
Do not get me wrong guys I like my stihl 460 but I also like dolmars as well even though I have only ever had a 34cc dolmar but have used the older 123 also

Go with the Dolmar. You can see the black top from 360º, but the silver clutch cover isn't seen as much. It is much easier to accessorize black than silver. Black is a universal, classy color. But... if you like 'em on the trashy side, go silver.

my buddy has a 5100 and I have a 346.

his Dilmar is finicky and always seems to be out of adjustment or won't start.I have never had a problem with the 346.it's the easiest saw to start i have ever had or used.saw dust doesn't get past the Husky filter like it does on the Dilmar.The Husky cuts faster too feels lighter and more comfortable.

the Dilmar was cheaper but I'm glad I spent a little extra and got the 346 XP

Back