dolmar 5100s or husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1rules

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guys I need some help deciding on a small lightweight limbing/small firewood bucking saw. I want to try something not Stihl and was thinking of the dolmar 5100s or husky 346xp. Who has owned both and what did you like or not like on each? Which would you prefer? And which one broke down more often? Thanks for the input!

350 with a 346 top end is what I use. Along with a 350 with a 353 piston. Both are rock solid reliable and plenty of zip.

Steven

Not to hijack the thread, but do you just do a straight p/c swap.. no carb work? I'm assuming NE 346 top end? Have you had any luck with the AM top end stuff or is it best to go oem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I'm not out of turn but 44.3 OEM, 105$ Delivered, no carb work necessary! :cool:

That's cool! I can get good condition 350s around here for under a hunnert all day long (or at least fairly often). Thanks!

Guys I need some help deciding on a small lightweight limbing/small firewood bucking saw. I want to try something not Stihl and was thinking of the dolmar 5100s or husky 346xp. Who has owned both and what did you like or not like on each? Which would you prefer? And which one broke down more often? Thanks for the input!

The 346xp is a much better handling and more nimble saw than the PS-5100S (or any of the other 50cc Dolmars of that basic construction).

I have both, and it didn't take much use to decide that the Dolmar never would follow me into the woods any more. It is a good saw for bucking logs in the yard (or similar) - but not better than the (NE) 346xp for that either.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you just do a straight p/c swap.. no carb work? I'm assuming NE 346 top end? Have you had any luck with the AM top end stuff or is it best to go oem?

Oem is hands down better. I have a am 346 top on one and it has a little bit less power than the oem. But it's not bad.
And the 45mm 350 with the flat top 353 piston is a good runner too. Not as high revving but more grunt.

Heck even a simple muffler mod on a 350 either 44 or 45mm. Can really wake them up.

Good little saw's. Lot's of little things to go over, but they make for nice builder's.

@Mattyo has some very long but informative videos to check out on them.

Steven

Uhh, hate to say it but I keep both on hand just in case, I also keep a 353. Why choose between them, just get both! Seriously, both saws are great saws, Dolmar maybe a little harder to work on and maybe the parts are higher priced and more scarce in the aftermarket but it's not bad enough to sway anyone's decision. I run a 20" bar and chain on my two 5100S saws and an 18" .325 on the 346 and 353. Not sure if my Dolmars are 3/8 or .325 but whatever it is it pulls it rather well on the Maple wood we mostly have..

Latest posts

Back