Help me decide, Echo or Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris75

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm looking at buying a new chainsaw and have narrowed it down to either the Stihl MS180 (http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=600) or the Echo CS310ES (http://www.allpower.com.au/Chainsaw.asp?ProductID=372).
It will only be for occasional home use. I can get the Stihl for $429(Australian Dollars) and the Echo for $499(which includes a spare chain, 1L of bar oil, 1L 2 stroke oil and a 5L fuel can).
The main difference I can see are
Stihl - 16" bar, 2 year warranty
Echo - 14" bar, 5 year warranty

Which would be the best one to get?
Thanks
Chris

If you look at my sig you know which one i'm gonna say to get. I will admit that warrenty on the echo is enticing.

haha. Thanks for the unbiased opinion.:greenchainsaw:

I am actually considering the stihl as the best option because of the larger blade. What's the difference between these cheaper Stihls compared to the pro ones? Is it just the engine size or are they inferior quality?

I am actually considering the stihl as the best option because of the larger blade. What's the difference between these cheaper Stihls compared to the pro ones? Is it just the engine size or are they inferior quality?

Im a stihl fan as well. You wont go wrong either way. Echo makes good equipment. Their chainsaws are as reliable as their trimmers, which have a wonderful track record. Echo saws typically dont have the power to weight ratio as a Stihl.

Try them both, see which one you like better. Either choice, you win.

I am actually considering the stihl as the best option because of the larger bar. What's the difference between these cheaper Stihls compared to the pro ones? Is it just the engine size or are they inferior quality?
Fixed that for ya.lol Now the smaller stihls are not as well made as the pro saws, Their not made for everyday use. There for occasional users that don't use one for a living. If your just going to cut small limbs or small trees the 180 will work. If your going to cut firewood and 18 inch trees you may want to consider the 250.

The design of the saw is the big difference. Pro saws tend to be easier to repair, whereas the lesser grade saws tend to become "throw-aways" because of high repair costs can exceed the value of the saw. Also pro saws can have features like decomp valves, adj.oilers, heated handles, ect.

I have an MS170 which is just about the same saw as the 180. It has a lot of plastic on it but its light and pretty snappy with a 14" bar.

I flush cut a 10" stump today and that was about all it could handle. 16" bar would not cut well on that saw in my opinion. You just need more horses for that much chain I think. I'm looking at going down to 11" bar and chain.

Im a stihl fan as well. You wont go wrong either way. Echo makes good equipment. Their chainsaws are as reliable as their trimmers, which have a wonderful track record. Echo saws typically dont have the power to weight ratio as a Stihl.

Try them both, see which one you like better. Either choice, you win.

Good post.

Rep coming...if I can.

Kevin

stihl products

I bought a new Super 041 in 1980, 25 inch bar. I have cut box car loads of firewood for myself, lots of utility work as well. I have had to replace a few little things on it in 29 years, but not much. It always starts, and it works. So, recently I bought a new FS 250 trimmer. and a new MS660 saw, Stihls impress me. But if I were you, I'd most likely put just a little more bucks with that money you have and get a little more power, you'll be glad you have it some fine day.

I like Stihl products and I use them to make $$.

I recommend Stihl - they have proven reliable with regular maintenance.

What I would suggest is trying them and seeing which one you like better. A five year warranty can be a great thing for an occasional user.

I would also value the dealership and how they treat you - in case you did have a warranty issue.

The design of the saw is the big difference. Pro saws tend to be easier to repair, whereas the lesser grade saws tend to become "throw-aways" because of high repair costs can exceed the value of the saw. Also pro saws can have features like decomp valves, adj.oilers, heated handles, ect.

So would that make the Echo a better quality unit or is it also of lesser quality than the more expensive models?

For light use both saws should hold up just fine. Best thing to do is try to get a demo saw of each and run them side by side. See which feels and runs the best to you. I think a 14'' bar is better for a 30cc saw but dont let bar size influence your decision. Im sure you can get a 14 or 16 inch bar on either saw just tell the dealer the size bar you want on it. The five year warranty is nice especially for a occasional user where a problem with the saw may not show up as fast as someone that uses the saw often.

I like Stihl products and I use them to make $$.

I recommend Stihl - they have proven reliable with regular maintenance.

What I would suggest is trying them and seeing which one you like better. A five year warranty can be a great thing for an occasional user.

I would also value the dealership and how they treat you - in case you did have a warranty issue.

No chance of being able to try either over here otherwise I would.

I also don't think I'll have any problems with either dealership.

The 5 year warranty is definately a big drawcard in this case as it may only get used a couple of times a year.

No chance of being able to try either over here otherwise I would.

I also don't think I'll have any problems with either dealership.

The 5 year warranty is definately a big drawcard in this case as it may only get used a couple of times a year.

yes - that 5 year warranty may be nice to have for you.

Back