Help me decide, Echo or Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think the Echo is of better quality than the stihl. If used occasionally and you are not hard on equipment the stihl should be fine. Echo's do seem to start up easier year after year with no maintenance. But you should always keep up with saw maintenance.

I have used the older model you just posted a lot its no powerhouse but very dependable. Due to exhaust regulations it may have more or less power over there. The dealer should at least let you take it out back and cut some wood not as good as side by side but better than not running them at all.

Here, this won't help: both are good saws for occasional homeowner use. :greenchainsaw:

Hard to make a bad choice here, but as some others have said, 16" isn't optimal for the 180 - I run a 12" on mine and it's pretty happy with that bar. The dealer may swap it out for you, or you might have to buy a smaller bar outright. That's $.

The 5-year warranty definitely merits consideration.

Do you have all 3 (servicing) dealers close by? Don't get caught up in the brand wars.
All 3 are of comparable quality. If a warranty is important to you than make sure you buy from a dealer who can fix the saw under that warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrenegade82
Husky doesn't make a 30cc saw.

240e - 38.2cc
235e - 34.4cc
334t - 35.2cc
339xp - 39cc
338xpt - 39cc

Maybe not exactly 30cc's but they are in the 30's.

Like I said they dont make a 30 cc saw

Ive owned both Stihls and Echos and I can tell you that the Stihl will has slightly more power but the Echo will start easier.
Id personally buy the Echo because it has a 5-year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the ignition module, but both are quality saws that will last a long time.

Ive owned both Stihls and Echos and I can tell you that the Stihl will has slightly more power but the Echo will start easier.
Id personally buy the Echo because it has a 5-year warranty and a lifetime warranty on the ignition module, but both are quality saws that will last a long time.

You need to learn how to tune the Stihls, both tuned right they will start just as easy as the other.:dizzy: I got both...

Im a stihl fan as well. You wont go wrong either way. Echo makes good equipment. Their chainsaws are as reliable as their trimmers, which have a wonderful track record. Echo saws typically dont have the power to weight ratio as a Stihl.

Try them both, see which one you like better. Either choice, you win.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you when it comes to the quality of Echo saws. My Fire Department has a bunch of 50cc saws for brush fire season, and the one Echo left seems to be afraid of work, It starts every Tuesday night for equipment check and runs good then, but it always fails to work when it's needed, at one point we had a bunch of them, they have slowly been replaced one at a time with better quality saws, they have been buying Jred 2151's but I would have bought Stihls if it was my call.

OK. I'll go and have another look today and make a decision. Due to the fact that it will only be getting used a couple of times a year I'm thinking the Echo CS3050 will be best value for my needs.
Does anyone know the actual differences from the CS310ES to the CS3050? Is it worth the extra $90 for the new model?

For all the Stihl supporters, if the MS180 came with a 5 year warranty I would have already bought it.

For all the Stihl supporters, if the MS180 came with a 5 year warranty I would have already bought it.

That 5 year warranty is a sales gimmick. If any saw lasts the first few months of hard use without major problems, it will be fine for the next few years. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

That 5 year warranty is a sales gimmick. If any saw lasts the first few months of hard use without major problems, it will be fine for the next few years. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

Yes, I agree and you're probably right, but that's the problem. I've got two small trees to cut down this week, I reckon I'll only be on the saw for about an hour or so, and then I may not pull it out for six months and then it will be for some light pruning. It will take me 5 years to get anywhere near a few months of hard use.

Latest posts

Back