Help me decide on which dolmar saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayshorecs

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I decided I need to break down and get a new saw. My 14" Homelite Bandit just isn't up for the job when it comes to cutting over 12" rounds. I cut mostly Red Oak up to 3-4' in the trunk and burn about 10 cord per year.

I have decided on a Dolmar but I can't decide between the PS-510 and the PS-5100S. The extra rpm and 1lb less weight of the 5100 would be nice, but is it worth the extra $100? One of the dealers I spoke with also mentioned possible top end motor issues if running the 5100 on a dull chain.

The wife is OK with either, what to do! I would like to purchase today to use tomorrow while the winter weather is still good.

:confused:

you need two saws.

So I decided I need to break down and get a new saw. My 14" Homelite Bandit just isn't up for the job when it comes to cutting over 12" rounds. I cut mostly Red Oak up to 3-4' in the trunk and burn about 10 cord per year.

I have decided on a Dolmar but I can't decide between the PS-510 and the PS-5100S. The extra rpm and 1lb less weight of the 5100 would be nice, but is it worth the extra $100? One of the dealers I spoke with also mentioned possible top end motor issues if running the 5100 on a dull chain.

The wife is OK with either, what to do! I would like to purchase today to use tomorrow while the winter weather is still good.

A 5100 for the smaller stuff. And a 7900 for anything larger than 10-12 inches.

A 5100 for the smaller stuff. And a 7900 for anything larger than 10-12 inches.

Hmm...maybe I need to re-evaluate the saw for the wood I am cutting. Based on your comment though, I am surprised the $100 homelite I have is cutting the 20" red oak at all though! Granted, it is a workout but the job gets done.

Maybe then the 5100 for now and see where it gets me. Doesn't sound like I should go any smaller since the 14" is my only saw.

*Dad has an old school stihl for the big stuff*

Not a matter of whether it will cut it..

Just a matter of how long you spend bent over holding on to the saw as it nibbles its way through the log. Horsepower equates to speed.
I love my 5100.. It has been a great saw. I recently aquired a smaller saw that will out cut it though..But it is not a stock saw..346xp with a woods port and a muffler mod.

If you envision yourself buying a larger saw in the future, then either is a good choice. I chose the 510 as I thought I'd be getting a larger saw and put the money I saved toward that.

You may wish to look at a stihl 361, or a dolmar 6400 if you're looking for one all around saw. Husky 359 would also be good.

Are you just looking to stay within the dolmar line?

If you envision yourself buying a larger saw in the future, then either is a good choice. I chose the 510 as I thought I'd be getting a larger saw and put the money I saved toward that.

You may wish to look at a stihl 361, or a dolmar 6400 if you're looking for one all around saw. Husky 359 would also be good.

Are you just looking to stay within the dolmar line?

Weight vs performance vs price has pointed me towards the Dolmar. My Dad swears by Stihl, but the extra cost for the same size saw is taking that off the market for me.

Plus, I am only used to handling 14" bar 33cc saws. I don't want to get too big of a monster and make myself error prone handling it.

I must look at things differently too. We have cut 20-30" stuff over the years with a Mac 650, a Husky 50, a Stihl 031, and the current 5100. I'm not sure how many of the big trunks you'll be cutting, but 80% of my wood is 12-20", probably 15% is smaller, and only 5% larger. I couldn't justify a bigger saw just for the 20-30 longer cuts I might have to make in a year, although if I found one of those reconditioned 6401's at a good price, I would be tempted . I am certain that if I was in logging or tree trimming/removal, that I would have one of the bigger machines such as a 7900, but the 5100 handles everything just fine so far. My boy has one too, and he loves his. Just cut some beech, maple and ash this a.m. that went up to about 18". A couple of the but cuts were right at bar length (20') and the machines performed admirably. We cut about 10 cords a year although this year might be more because our woods (65 acres) was logged and we have lots of tops.

going from

a 33 cc saw to a 5100 will be like going from a 5100 to a 7900.
So maybe OP is correct staying with middle of the road size wise for now..

The Dolmar 5100 is a great little saw but it is not really suited for anything much over 16” in diameter. For the similar money, you can get a Makita 6401 (lots on Fleabay) that can pull a 20” bar in hardwood all day long. The 6401 is a bit slow and heavy for its cc size but it is a well built saw that is easily upgradeable.

Last edited:

The PS5100 will work, but for how long [service life] will depend on your knowledge and the amount saw time you've under your belt. With your smaller saw, the 7900
class would be my choice, time's money even if it's just savings.

DCS540 4runner to the 5100
NIB DCS6401 Waiting on 7900 pc or BB

$.02

a 33 cc saw to a 5100 will be like going from a 5100 to a 7900.
So maybe OP is correct staying with middle of the road size wise for now..

welp, about a year ago when i got the stihl 361 i thought, "this thing is a monster!". it really outcut the echo cs440 i had. it was heavier too. more than a little intimidating with 4.4 hp to a guy with virtually no cutting experience. i recently aquired a stihl 660. at 7 horsepower that thing should feel like a monster. it doesn't.
point?
you may find yourself in the very near future much more confident and wanting a larger saw. make sure the one you get to start off with is either cheap enough that you don't mind buying another shortly thereafter or good enough that you don't mind either.
if i had to do it all over again i would have bought two saws in the beginning and left it at that: 361 and 660.
maybe your two saws are the 5100 and the 7900?:)

best of luck!

Last edited:
Based upon original request

Yes the PS5100 is worth the extra $100 and will complement any larger displacement saw that will come along.

Suggest running a 16 inch bar standard, and eventually getting a 20 inch bar and chain for the odd occasion you need it.

Any saw will have issues running a dull chain. Best advice is simply don't do it.

Take Care

Last edited:
Go with a 5100. Then use good gas and oil,keep the chain sharp, and do some regular maintenence on it. And you'll be happy. As far as the length of bar- use what YOU want!

Based upon original request

Yes the PS5100 is worth the extra $100 and will complement any larger displacement saw that will come along.

Suggest running a 16 inch bar standard, and eventually getting a 20 inch bar and chain for the odd occasion you need it.

Any saw will have issues running a dull chain. Best advice is simply don't do it.

Take Care

+1

I just bought a new 5100 off of fleabay. Just after I bought it I started seeing posts about the 5100 possibly seizing more than might be expected. The issue seemed to point towards 10% ethanol gas and the overly lean factory setting. First thing I did was to eliminate the little plastic tabs that allow the high end to be richened beyond factory. I've only had it out twice but I really enjoyed it as an upgrade to an MS250. The 250 was pretty much of a limber- few small trunks. The 5100 is a limber on steroids and with an 18" bar goes where no 50cc saw has gone before. (Most trunk work I do is with an 044). This is the stuff that growing saw collections are made of. Today a 5100, tomorrow a full blown Nitro Methane top fuel race saw.

The Dolmar 5100 is a great little saw but it is not really suited for anything much over 16” in diameter. For the similar money, you can get a Makita 6401 (lots on Fleabay) that can pull a 20” bar in hardwood all day long. The 6401 is a bit slow and heavy for its cc size but it is a well built saw that is easily upgradeable.

I say used 6401 is a good choice. It is easily upgradeable if you choose, or it will do just fine as is. But as for slow for its cc size....i dunno bout that. Show me any other 64cc saw that will make it look slow? They do seem to be a great value. And im not so sure about the heavy for its size either.

Last edited:
Back