Help me decide on which dolmar saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with 460-510 but the 5100 is an awesome saw! and yes it is worth the price! a little saw that acts like a big saw!! If you get one it will bring one of these to your face:)

Well I got the PS5100 with an extra 18" chain today. I think it will work well as my mid range saw. I have access to a stihl running a 24" blade if I beg and plead enough so I think the 5100 should do just fine....for now:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for the advice. I plan on breaking in the saw tomorrow on some red oak. Can't wait to see how it does!

Well i hear the 5100 is stouter than 55 rancher, and i cut some pretty good sized stuff with the 55 i had, so you should have no problem.

" I cut mostly Red Oak up to 3-4' in the trunk and burn about 10 cord per year."

To double cut this size of wood or hardwood, I'll be looking at a 28" bar, don't you guys think that, even running a skip chain - this would be asking a lot from the 5100?

actually a 5100 with skip on it will suprise you! Not recommended but I have a guy who actually is doing this with one! He is a logger beleve it or not and has back problems so he uses a 5100 with a 28" 3/8 skip and been doing it for two years now! I have run it and if you let the saw do the work it does very well actually it will suprise you! Granted I do not know how long it will run doing this but as he said it has already paid for itself many times over!

The more I think about it, 4' is pushing it as far as the tree size. More like mostly 3' in the trunk base. The Stihl should handle it though. I need to get the model number of it to see if I need to recommend in updates to it. I know if was purchased in the early 80s and cost about $800-900 back then.

The Dolmar 5100 is a great little saw but it is not really suited for anything much over 16” in diameter. For the similar money, you can get a Makita 6401 (lots on Fleabay) that can pull a 20” bar in hardwood all day long. The 6401 is a bit slow and heavy for its cc size but it is a well built saw that is easily upgradeable.

Good Advice. Many on AS, myself included, bought brand new 6401s with 20" bar from a variety of places for middle $400 range last year including shipping. The 6401 is a compromise saw, so I don't use it as much as I should, however, if I were on the one saw plan and looking for a pro quality firewood saw, and funds were tight, I'd be very, very happy with the 6401.

... I am certain that if I was in logging or tree trimming/removal, that I would have one of the bigger machines such as a 7900, but the 5100 handles everything just fine so far...

Good post. For us non-production folks, what the bigger saws provide mostly is the fun factor, not necessarily practicability. We just don't let on to it. :)

Este guey me cai gordo!

You're kidding right?

Gary

Can't believe DOWNER showed up to this thread...

Get the 5100. It's a great little saw and with a sharp chain, you'll be alright. Not fast on big wood, but that's what the 7900 is for.

Ps 510

Here is some work I did with my PS 510 after the last hurricane in Sept. I cut a lot of stuff 16" to 20" I usually cut stuff 10 to 14." I keep my chain sharp and that little saw will pull some chips. :greenchainsaw:

Ran 4 tanks of gas through it and cut up everything I had on the oak I have been working on except for the trunk which I have not tried yet. The trunk is about 3'.

Most of the cuts were 16"-20" today and the saw ran great. I had no problems what-so-ever and I am very pleased with the performance. Also glad I did not get a saw any smaller.

In total, I made about 30-40 cuts through 16"-24" red oak in about 1.5 hours (which included moving around, finding the next best cut, etc). I couldn't dream of doing that with my old POS saw. When I was done, I could tell the chain needs to be resharpened. The chips were not as large as when I started. I do think I will pick up a 20" bar sometime in the future though.

Just start into the cut, leverage against the spike and the saw melted it's way through. :chainsaw:

Very nice! Thanks all! :cheers:

Save your pesos for a 6401

I do think I will pick up a 20" bar sometime in the future though.

I would skip on that after reading a ton of posts here and handling the 5100. The 20 will be a lot of bar for the 5100. It'll do it, but probably very slowly.

I'd put those pesos aside and save for a 6401 if you can't afford the 7901.

You can always muffler mod it and have a descent saw. On the hefty side, but it'll get the job done.

You need to add a 6400 in the future!

Call me crazy but I run a 16’’ 3/8 bar and chain on my 5100 and a 20’’ 3/8 on my EHP 7900.
When I need a bigger bar I slap on the 32’’ on the 7900. Why carry more weight than is needed and sharpen more chain if the smaller bars will do what I need most of the time.

Sure the 5100 will cut 3’ red oak, but you will still be cutting with the 5100 while your back home if you were using the 7900.

My 7900 will cut through 24’’ Cherry faster than the 5100 will go through 12’’ Cherry.

Since you got the 5100, (which is a great little saw) look for a 6400/6401 for a good deal and maybe get a big bore kit when you feel more comfortable with it.

If you do that you 5100 will last a lot longer, because you will love its bigger brother!

I was wrong about my bar on the 5100, it’s an 18’’ bar. The little saw cuts like a champ with the 18’’ on it. It was my 488 Shindaiwa that I had the 16’’ on.

Last edited:
Amen to that.

Call me crazy but I run a 16’’ 3/8 bar and chain on my 5100 and a 20’’ 3/8 on my EHP 7900.
When I need a bigger bar I slap on the 32’’ on the 7900. Why carry more weight than is needed and sharpen more chain if the smaller bars will do what I need most of the time.

Sure the 5100 will cut 3’ red oak, but you will still be cutting with the 5100 while your back home if you were using the 7900.

My 7900 will cut through 24’’ Cherry faster than the 5100 will go through 12’’ Cherry.

Since you got the 5100, (which is a great little saw) look for a 6400/6401 for a good deal and maybe get a big bore kit when you feel more comfortable with it.

If you do that you 5100 will last a lot longer, because you will love its bigger brother!

AMEN BROTHER GORDON.

That's the plan of attack for sure.

This "big mac" Kita 64cc is alright though.

I used it recently to help with a removal of a 24"x25" pine stump . I first started with the 510 and at the end of the bore cut, the Dude got demoted quick for the small stuff(felt like a fool!). I then stared at the 5100 and wondered if it could do it. Sure enough it gave it too much of a workout and I'm sure it would not have lasted long. So it got demoted to bucking firewood and small-medium sized felling. Damn, I then stared at stock storm trooper #6401 and thought..."Don't let me down homes."

It tore up that 2 year old stump with no problems. That stump was almost petrified. It was a tough one.

The 7900 build should be a blast. I've seen a couple of videos from Germany where they were felling huge beech trees with 7900's.

The 6401, while slightly heavy for the power, starts easily, runs smooth, and gets the big jobs (firewood) done for just a little $. I'll keep it stock, but lots of guys bump it up to a 7901-smiling all the way :) .

Chuck knows...

The 6401, while slightly heavy for the power, starts easily, runs smooth, and gets the big jobs (firewood) done for just a little $. I'll keep it stock, but lots of guys bump it up to a 7901-smiling all the way .

AMEN BROTHER CHARLIE!

I know the 7900 would have had that stump shredded quick like. BUT THE FACT that the 6400 got it done and with ease, not quick, but with ease was cool in my book.

Back