Help me decide PS 5100 or 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Decided I'm gonna buy one more new saw. (maybe)
Got it down to either a Stihl 260 pro or a Dolmar 5100S.
Both 50 cc's.
Both close to the same weight (260 10.6 lbs, 5100 11.2)
Dolmar has slightly more HP (3.8 vs 3.2)
Both brands have dealers close by.
The Dolmar is about $100.00 cheaper.
Naturally, I am leaning towards the Dolmar based on price & specs but, is the Dolmar on par with the Stihl as far as durability and longevity?
In other words is the Dolmar PS 5100 a "pro" grade saw?
I have a new 7900 that I REALLY like but I would be more likley be using the smaller saw the most, cutting firewood.
Your opinion appreciated.

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
A LOT of people here really like the 5100, the only complaint I hear is a lack of dealers. If you already have a 7900 with a good dealer nearby the 5100 is an easy choice. And this is coming from a Stihl guy! :cheers:

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Decided I'm gonna buy one more new saw. (maybe)
Got it down to either a Stihl 260 pro or a Dolmar 5100S.
Both 50 cc's.
Both close to the same weight (260 10.6 lbs, 5100 11.2)
Both brands have dealers close by.
The Dolmar is about $100.00 cheaper.
Naturally, I am leaning towards the Dolmar based on price & specs but, is the Dolmar on par with the Stihl as far as durability and longevity?
In other words is the Dolmar PS 5100 a "pro" grade saw?
I have a new 7900 that I REALLY like but I would be more likley be using the smaller saw the most, cutting firewood.
Your opinion appreciated.

Even though I really like my 260, from what I've read here, the 5100S is an awesome saw. A perfect match to your 7900.

Kevin

Edit: Didn't mean to repeat basically what wood4heat said...he got his post in quicker than I.

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
5 minutes with the muffler cover and your 260 will get it's EPA robbed HP back...;)

260 - track record proven - 18 years+
5100 - to be proven.

your choice.

oh.. use search - there has to be 5000 posts on this topic...

Last edited:
Knotdodger

Knotdodger

ArboristSite Operative
Dolmar here!! This is coming from a Stihl guy also. 5100 , 50cc=NICE!!
Plus save a hundred. I am just a firewood cutter, but that is what I would do.
Have fun with the new saw!

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
5 minutes with the muffler cover and your 260 will get it's EPA robbed HP back...;)

260 - track record proven - 18 years+
5100 - to be proven.

your choice.

oh.. use search - there has to be 5000 posts on this topic...

I agree with Lake. If that 7900 was a good experience, a 5100 might get you in good with the dealer. Can't go wrong with a 260 though........

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
5100S muffler mod and you will have a 50cc saw that outcuts all the others in stock muffler modded form.
Stock un-modded muffler it is still a runner. But the animal wakes up when the muffler mod is done on the 5100S and she gets broken in.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

That differense is far from slight, regarding cutting capasity - more like huge. :)

Even the older 3.5hp 026 is nowhere near the 5100S for cutting capasity - as I remember those they were even outperformed by the 3.3hp Husky 353, and the 5100 outcuts the 353 with a wide margin.

Max hp numbers doesn't tell the full story on performance.....

On the flip side, the Dolmar is a bit heavier than advertised, so the real difference is about a full pound.

They aren't really in the same class.......:jawdrop:

Last edited:
davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have an 026 and a 5100. I'd say if most of your cutting is small then choose the 260. If you want a small saw that's also capable of occasionally tackling some medium stuff then get the 5100.

It sounds like blasphemy but since you already have a 7900 then I'd go for the 260 to provide a tad more weight seperation. I can't think of anything interchangeable between 5100 and 7900 so there should be no disadvantage in having a mixed fleet.

The 026/260 is an oldey but a goody!!

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dolmars

There is NO better combo on the market today than these 2 saws. I shall have the 5100S in a week or so, have been running the 7900 for over a year now with 0 problems and am super happy with it and my little PS-510. The 510 is closer to the 026(which is a very good saw). But with the 510 you'll save about $150, the 5100 you'll only save about $100. ALL are pro grade saws, NO PLASTIC ON ANY OF THEM. Thank god, I HATE PLASTIC!!!!

:cheers: eh?

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
I fail to see what there is to decide between 5100 and 260 pro, 5100 runs circles around 260 pro anyday... the choice would be more troublesome thou if you had NE 346xp against dolmar, then i would have to lean towards husq, but thats not really what you asked thou :monkey:

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
I fail to see what there is to decide between 5100 and 260 pro, 5100 runs circles around 260 pro anyday... :

Agree 100% but he already has a 7900 which will run circles around most anything. His consideration should be small and light IMHO.

NBailey

NBailey

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
The 5100 is a good performer, but many of the saws we sold (back when they allowed catalog sales) tended to eat dirt through their poor air filter design. This will lead to obvious problems over time. The original demo we have here does the same. The 026 is a proven performer, and I am sure the MS 260 is even better, with a muffler mod.

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
The 5100 is a good performer, but many of the saws we sold (back when they allowed catalog sales) tended to eat dirt through their poor air filter design. This will lead to obvious problems over time. The original demo we have here does the same. The 026 is a proven performer, and I am sure the MS 260 is even better, with a muffler mod.

I have been selling this model saw to PRO users since they have come out and DUST ingestion is NOT A ISSUE. Use your brain people if your on any sort of regular maint program and clean your saw from time to time you will have YEARS of service from this saw. Of the hundreds of these models I have sold I have only replaced rings on ONE saw and that saw had no maintenance done to it just gas oil and chains and was severely neglected in the air filter dept.

Scott

mini kahuna

mini kahuna

ArboristSite Guru
I have used 026's and 260's for work and I have owned a 5100 for about a year.
the 5100 has been used about an average of 3 days a week for the year and given me some hiccups at first but has been trouble free since.
5100 is stronger and smoother in the cut than 260.
the 5100/7900 combo is awesome too.
the 026/260 I used at work ran great,cut great and they last a LONG time.
the air filters were never an issue and we ran the spit out of those saws.
either saw is sweet,tuff to chose between the two.
you should run both saws and see which one feels better in your hands.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

From what I have observed so far, the filter on the 5100 doesn't get dirty very fast (like on some Stihls), and not much get past it.

I would rate this as a non-issue, until proven wrong by multiple premature engine failiures........:) :givebeer:

Sloppy users can make any filter system perform badly, even Huskys air injection ones.

Last edited:
SAWITALL

SAWITALL

ArboristSite Guru
I have used 026's and 260's for work and I have owned a 5100 for about a year.
the 5100 has been used about an average of 3 days a week for the year and given me some hiccups at first but has been trouble free since.
5100 is stronger and smoother in the cut than 260.
the 5100/7900 combo is awesome too.
the 026/260 I used at work ran great,cut great and they last a LONG time.
the air filters were never an issue and we ran the spit out of those saws.
either saw is sweet,tuff to chose between the two.
you should run both saws and see which one feels better in your hands.

Good observation from a user. Nice post.:cheers:

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can't add anything about the performance of these two saws that hasn't been said, but I would add that the confidence and support of the dealer should weigh heavy in the decision. Which dealer will treat you right, has parts and service, and is open when you can get there?
You're in a win-win situation, either of those saws is going to make chips in hurry and for a long time.
If you can't decide, make the time honored decision, buy both.
Good Luck

WVhunter

WVhunter

ArboristSite Operative
I have never ran a 5100 but all I have heard has been great, I have a 7900 and love it, so like others have said I am sure it would make a great combo.
On the other hand I think some on here don't give the little 260 it's fair shake, I too am just a fire wood cutter and I have had one a couple of years and love it, mine is the 260 Pro and it does a great job. I think you should run both saws for yourself and see which one you like the best. You won't go wrong with the 5100, and I know for sure you can't go wrong with the 260. IMHO.
Tom