help me fix a 290 stihl FB.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need help fixing my budddies 290 FB. Well I use to have it but sold it to him since his 2 old poulans decided to quit after 30 years.

Saw is disassembled. Was running but not 100 percent. Meaning you could start it up, idle then die. Sometimes not die.

We are going to clean the inside of it (its filthy), clean muffler screen, let carb soak in gas to clean it, replace fuel line, replace spark plug. Clean air filter. what else can we look at?

Oh we are going to pull limiter caps, mod muffler. WHats easiest way to do this? And do we need to put a screen behind hole we drill in muffler?

If I would have to guess I would say the 029 had fuel delivery issues (carb was dirty, bad fuel line, etc.). If you clean the carb, put a new kit in it if necessary, and change the fuel line you should resolve the running issue imo.

The screen is meant as a spark arrestor...it isn't necessary, but if its up to you if you want to put one in after you mod the muffler.

Are you opening the cylinder at all? (removing it from its base). If you do make sure you reseal it with dirko, yamabond, or an equivalent. Also the piston and rings are a bit trickier without the special tool to get back into the cylinder. So that may lead you not to open the cylinder.

Make sure to richen up the carb after you mod the muffer.

Latest posts

Back