Help me redesign my splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again, I will post again as I start ordering and installing parts. I'm sure I will have more questions as that process starts, I appreciate all of the help from you all who have the real world experience.

I finally am going to start tackling this redesign. I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a new 4" cylinder or stick with the 5" that is on there now. I'm really after a quick cycle time so I am leaning towards fitting up a 4". Where can I find high flow hydraulic fittings? Everyone just seems to have standard tight radius 90's and 45's. Also, is there a good supplier for high pressure pipe fittings? Coming off of my pump to the valve is going to be interesting.

Or you can use a regenerative valve, item 5 of the link listed above, does the same as a dual stage pump for less money.

I already have a 22gpm barnes pump, but thanks for the suggestion. Biggest things now are where to get high flow fittings, whether or not to use the existing 5" cylinder or switch to a 4", and whether or not I want to install a log lift. It seems a lot of guys use a crane system instead of a table lift, yet most of the high dollar pro built splitters use table log lifts.

I already have a 22gpm barnes pump, but thanks for the suggestion. Biggest things now are where to get high flow fittings, whether or not to use the existing 5" cylinder or switch to a 4", and whether or not I want to install a log lift. It seems a lot of guys use a crane system instead of a table lift, yet most of the high dollar pro built splitters use table log lifts.

I dont think you are following me. I am not suggesting a new pump. I am suggesting a new valve that uses some magic and reroutes the flow of oil during the retract part of the cycle from the return side of the cylinder to the pressure side causing a dramatic increase in cylinder speed. With that size of cylinder you need all the help you can get. It doesnt use any more horse power. Loaders use it often to get fast dump cycles on the bucket.

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/other-technologies/book-2-chapter-17-regeneration-circuits

You can always use a cable and pulley attached to the main ram to lift a log lift on the retract cycle

Also consider hydraulic tubing instead of hose and pipe where you can. Benders are cheap on ebay if your patient, its less likely to fail, and it will dissipate heat better, especially if painted, possibly making a hydraulic cooler unnecessary. Ask around and see if a friend has a 37 degree flaring tool as its the most expensive. Also dont use tubing cutters where you are going to flare it as it work hardens the tube and can cause cracks on the flare or misshapen flares. Cut with an abrasive saw or hacksaw and file flate/deburr inside/outside edges. With a little practice nice bends can be made reducing turbulence. Tubing is cheaper than high pressure hoses as well.

Latest posts

Back