Help on my first "Real" Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You friend is giving very good advice.
The 372xp is still out there.
Also Jonsered has a trade in say going on find a worn out saw a trade it in
the 2171 is the same as the 372xp.
Jonsered is for the discriminating logger. :rock:

IdahoJon said:
First of I would like to say Hello to all of the Aboristsite members. :D
I have been reading a lot of threads and gaining tons of knowledge from you. Thanks:cheers:

My question is this, I am going to buy a new saw for cutting firewood. I currently have a newer Homelite, 45cc, 18" bar (Home Depot Special) I bought it without really doing any research and now realize that wasn't to smart :bang: . I only cut softwoods mainly Douglas Fir and Western Larch mixed with some pine. I put up 10+ cords a year. I would like to be able to cut some decent size wood up to 24"-30" . I don't know how many times I have had to pass on some really nice wood due to knowing my saw would not handle it. I have been considering the Stihl MS361 or Husky 357xp. A friend at work who cuts a lot of firewood every year thinks I really should go with a bigger saw like a 440 or 375xp (he has a 371). I kind of think that may be overkill but I definitely want to have plenty of power to get through some of the bigger wood without having to overwork the saw. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance...

As a 5+ cord user/cutter myself, I started with a Poulon Wild Thing and was nudged into a less fatigueing saw upgrade by the friend who got me started in this, it was a Stihl MS360Pro with decompression button,and a 24" bar, we regularly cut into 18"-33"+ oak, elm, hickory, for firewood, and the 360 was ample for all of it, when it started to get heavy from limbing/trimming I pulled out the Poulon, and kept going. I have since upgraded to a Stihl 460Mag(for milling/bucking), and while it gets through stuff faster, it is a little heavier, and then it's back to the Poulon for a tankful.

I can't imagine running anything bigger/heavier for firewood, than the 460, and cutting conifers goes easier anyway, and you can cut double the bar length, working a saw with tired arms is no good anyway.

If I was just cutting for firewood, and not trying to mill, the 360 would be just fine, and have two bars, 18", and a 24".

Whatever you get, be safe and enjoy.

IdahoJon, Do not forget service and support. Huskys and Stihl are both great lines and quite often the final choice (aside from personal preference) comes down to how far do you have to go to get the saw serviced and how long do you have to wait to get parts. Not all saw shops are created equal. One more thing, either a bigger Husky or Stihl is a whole new animal so be careful until you get used to the new saw.

OK, Husky fan chiming in.

The new Husky 390xp might fit the bill, we are still waiting for it to arrive anywhere, but you can check out the 385, many like it, and it is in the same range as the "bigger" saws that you are checking out.

The upside to Husky?
They tend to be a little less expensive
The quality and dealer support are generally good
The anti vibe features make them easy on you,
The X-Torq engines have good torque.
the air filtration is fantastic.

Someone is bound to disagree now, but thats my $ .02

IdahoJon said:
Thanks for all the great responses. I definitely came to the right place.:clap:

From what I have learned I have narrowed my options down to the MS460, or the 575xp or 372 if I can find one. What I have read by doing some searches of old posts it seems that the 575 has mixed reviews, but overall pretty good. The one complaint that concerns me is the hard starting/cold blooded aspect. which is funny because my friend from work said to buy the husky with one of the reasons was they are easier to start than the Stihl.:confused: I really think its kind of a coin flip at this point on which one to get. I think I will just go out and phyically pick up each one and buy the one that feels right to me in my hands.....unless there is a strong reason that someone can point out to go one way or the other? Thanks for all your help.
The 385xp is MUCH more powerful than the 575, same weight, and size. FYI
The Huskys are not that hard to start, they have a decomp valve.
If mine sits for a couple weeks, it will start in 4 or 5 pulls tops. Usually 3 or 4. No big deal. In my experience, the 66 is harder to start, but mine doesnt have the decomp.

Back