Help on rim spocket size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIDGERUNNER34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been having some problems with my 372 xp, with the chain not waning to turn while running, posted a another thread a couple days ago and you guys give me alot good information on trying to solve the problem, I was looking at my rim spocket and it has stamped 3/8-7, I also looked at the carton bar i purchased and the box it came with under the upc bar code reads .375X.058. I believe they have ship me the wrong bar. It'a carlton bar from bailey's they were on sale and looked like a good buy. I guess my question is will a 3/8-7 rim spocket work for a .375x.o58 bar or do i need a a diffrent rim spocket, sorry guys i don't know alot about saws wish i did would love to be able to work on them, were i live there is no good shops to take your stuff.

3/8, .375, same same.

Rims are cheap, so when you put the new chain (.058) on, put on a new rim also.

Those bars have some real funky clear coat on them. I removed the clear coat on several of mine.

3/8 and .375 are the same thing. Thats the pitch of your chain, which is the distance between three rivets divided by two.

.058 is the gauge which is the thickness of the drive tang on the bottom of the chain. It has to match the slot in the bar. The sprocket doesn't care about gauge, only pitch. You have the right rim sprocket.

Those bars have some real funky clear coat on them. I removed the clear coat on several of mine.

to be clear, just on the rail. I followed a couple of the OP's other threads regarding the problem, think it goes deeper - maybe needle bearing in the clutch assembly. An E-bay purchase that needs gone over in that regard.

I have heard of some Carlton bars that need to have some clear epoxy coat cleaned from the groove/rails before the chain really fits.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your sprocket, unless it is a 3/8" low profile one (highly unlikely) - but make sure your chain is not .063.

I have heard of some Carlton bars that need to have some clear epoxy coat cleaned from the groove/rails before the chain really fits.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your sprocket, unless it is a 3/8" low profile one (highly unlikely) - but make sure your chain is not .063.

What is the differance between a 3/8 low profile sprocket and 3/8 regular ?

Look at your rim, is it worn? Get a new 3/8 7 tooth rim and compare the two. As the rim get worn, the chain will wear the outer edge of the rim. If the worn area's are much more than .020" deep it's time to replace it. Some user's run the rim so long that the drive links on the chain contact the drive spline area on the clutch drum. It's usually not a good idea to put a new chain on a sprocket that has more than minimum wear.

Been having some problems with my 372 xp, with the chain not waning to turn while running, posted a another thread a couple days ago and you guys give me alot good information on trying to solve the problem, I was looking at my rim spocket and it has stamped 3/8-7, I also looked at the carton bar i purchased and the box it came with under the upc bar code reads .375X.058. I believe they have ship me the wrong bar. It'a carlton bar from bailey's they were on sale and looked like a good buy. I guess my question is will a 3/8-7 rim spocket work for a .375x.o58 bar or do i need a a diffrent rim spocket, sorry guys i don't know alot about saws wish i did would love to be able to work on them, were i live there is no good shops to take your stuff.

Your other post says you recieved a WPL 20 series chain from Bailey's, this is the problem if everything else you have is 3/8. Tell Bailey's to send you the right chain which will be a WPL 30 series. Hopefully you haven't ruined the bar by trying to increase the groove size, or spent too much time chasing the other suggestions. Simple problem, simple solution.

Did ya ever pull off the clutch drum and have a look at the needle bearing and clutch ?

Hey sunfish, I went ahead and ordered a new clutch,neddle bearing, clutch drum,and rim spocket. I was not able to remove the clutch yet, had to order a clutch tool, I was looking on the back of the woodland pro box that my chain came in and the wpl 20 38rc72link is a 3/8 pitch chain. so that would solve that problem. I called a saw shop the other day from were i had purchased the saw and they stated that maybe the bar i had purchased may not have proper gap needed to run my chain, thay said the new bar should be right on gap but mistakes can happen. I ordred a carlton bar from bailey's that was being phased out i guess the bars came without the carlton logo on them. I went ahead and striped all the clear coat from the bar, so there will be no returning now. I wish we a bar shop around here were i could find out if the gap is correct or if needs to be open up a little.

Hey sunfish, I went ahead and ordered a new clutch,neddle bearing, clutch drum,and rim spocket. I was not able to remove the clutch yet, had to order a clutch tool, I was looking on the back of the woodland pro box that my chain came in and the wpl 20 38rc72link is a 3/8 pitch chain. so that would solve that problem. I called a saw shop the other day from were i had purchased the saw and they stated that maybe the bar i had purchased may not have proper gap needed to run my chain, thay said the new bar should be right on gap but mistakes can happen. I ordred a carlton bar from bailey's that was being phased out i guess the bars came without the carlton logo on them. I went ahead and striped all the clear coat from the bar, so there will be no returning now. I wish we a bar shop around here were i could find out if the gap is correct or if needs to be open up a little.

Where did you get the WPL 20 38rc72link number from; Bailey's website doesn't list chains with this number system. I believe, and you can check me on this, but if you visit Bailey's website and look at the WPL series chains, you have the wrong chain for your combination.

Where did you get the WPL 20 38rc72link number from; Bailey's website doesn't list chains with this number system. I believe, and you can check me on this, but if you visit Bailey's website and look at the WPL series chains, you have the wrong chain for your combination.

He has the correct chain.

Bailey's - 20" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop

20" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop (38RC-72 Drive Links)
Made in the USAWoodlandPro 38RC is the .058 gauge version of the popular 30RC saw chain. Chisel cutters work well in both softwoods and hardwoods. 38RC works best in clean cutting conditions, where there is limited contact with dirt and other abrasive materials. Chain is .375 pitch, .058 (1.5mm) gauge. 38RC fits saws using Oregon 73 and Stihl 35 series chain. 38RC chain sharpens with a 7/32" round file or 3/16" grinding wheel.

Chain manufactured in the U.S.A. by Carlton.

What is the differance between a 3/8 low profile sprocket and 3/8 regular ?
There are maybe other differences but from my experience you can use a reg 3/8ths drive sprocket with a low profile chain, but the reg 3/8ths chain will not work on a low pro sprocket, it bottoms out. The other end(nose sprocket) just don't work period, so the bar has to match the chain.

This is a fairly foolish question, but it has happened before. The chainbrake isn't on, is it? Sorry, had to ask. :laugh:

Will the saw rev without a bar/chain installed?

He has the correct chain.

Bailey's - 20" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop

20" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop (38RC-72 Drive Links)
Made in the USAWoodlandPro 38RC is the .058 gauge version of the popular 30RC saw chain. Chisel cutters work well in both softwoods and hardwoods. 38RC works best in clean cutting conditions, where there is limited contact with dirt and other abrasive materials. Chain is .375 pitch, .058 (1.5mm) gauge. 38RC fits saws using Oregon 73 and Stihl 35 series chain. 38RC chain sharpens with a 7/32" round file or 3/16" grinding wheel.

Chain manufactured in the U.S.A. by Carlton.

So the WPL 20 is not the series number right? The 20 is actually the loop size & has nothing to do with the part number, it is actually a WPL 30 series chain; the chain box probably reads WPL 20" 38RC-72? Now this makes sense. Listing it as a WPL 20 threw me off, I have used both the 20 (.325) and the 30 (.375 or 3/8) series WPL chains, the 20 series chains on my smaller saws and the 30 series chains on my larger saws. Thanks for posting the link, definately clears things up a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't make the diagnosis any eaisier (or less costly)......I had a 357xp brought to me last year with a similar problem, & it had a bad crank bearing on the bar side, definately more involved than getting a different chain!

Back