Help planning thermopex install for OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to dig my trench for a thermopex install for the OWB. I’m leaving the old lines in place, and digging above them for the new thermopex. The trench will be relatively shallow but within recommendations: 10 – 12 inches. I know some guys go deeper, but for a number of reasons I’m leaving the lines shallow. My main concern is that the lines don’t sit in water, and that’s where my questions start.

I had assumed digging the lines shallow would guarantee water wouldn’t be an issue, since our house sits above a downhill slope in the backyard. The bottom of this slope is at least 5 feet below grade, and this is where all the water, including my underground gutters for the house, drains into when it rains. Therefore, my 12” trench can’t be below the water table, right?

Well, I was playing around with the bucket on the tractor and ended up digging a small 16” test pit next to the concrete slab for the OWB. You can see this pit in the photos – the garden hose is sitting in it. It rained a couple days ago and I noticed that the pit immediately filled with water and then took almost 24 hours to completely drain. This concerned me, because if the drainage is that poor, I’m worried about the lines sitting in water every time we have a thaw or it rains.

My first thought was put some stone in the bottom of the thermopex trench, but as my neighbor pointed out, the water still has to go somewhere. Should I dig another trench heading east toward the slope, fill this with stone and tie it into my main trench to give the water someplace to go? There’s also a buried pvc pipe that drains the house gutters, and my neighbor mentioned digging a channel from the thermopex trench to the pvc pipe and drilling some holes in the pipe to allow the water from the thermopex trench to seep in. As you can also see from the photos, the south gutters for the garage do NOT go underground, but spill out right next to where the thermopex trench will be dug, which probably contributed to most of the standing water in my test pit.

How would you guys handle this? I’m a newbie when it comes to excavation and know next to nothing about drainage. I want to avoid fancy solutions since I’m just using the tractor bucket and a shovel to dig, but I also want to get this right the first time. Suggestions?

View attachment 307645View attachment 307646View attachment 307647

I would not want to disturb the gutter or septic lines.

Can you extend the trench south?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I can extend due south, there's a slight grade in that direction. In that case, the extension of the trench for the thermopex would run parallel to the leach field but shouldn't intrude on it. Would I just let gravity do the work, or would I do something at the south end of the trench to help it drain?

I think the beauty of real ThermoPEX is that it doesn't care about groundwater. The outer jacket is impervious, so the water can never (yeah, I know) touch the internal lines to rob heat from them.

Dig it in wherever, however you can, and don't worry about it. Now, if you were using "home-made" insulated lines, you'd have legitimate concerns.

Mine's about 18 inches down, only because the electric line to the boiler is buried in the same trench, and code required that depth for UF without conduit.

Jon

I wouldn't do any more digging than necessary with that septic tank right there. And from the pics - your boiler lines cross the septic line from the garage? Another place to be verrrry careful.

I'd maybe do as you're planning, keeping the lines as close to the garage as possible (and watching out for that septic line), and when done run the gutters from the garage into a short pipe or concrete half-pipe or something laying on the ground that would direct the gutter runoff out past the boiler pipe trench. Looks like you have lots of slope that would take care of the water from there?

Hmmm. My post got deleted?

Yes, I suggest to go south.

Good Luck!

It wasn't deleted, just hadn't been approved yet. Your first 5? I think posts here have to go through moderation first.

I did have to remove the link in the first one. It's against the rules to post links to a competing forum.

OK. Sorry. I thought he wanted to carry this conversation over to a OWB site. But if talking about OWB's is ok here. I'm ok with that too!

Thanks for clarification!

SW18X-Let gravity finish the work for you. Make sure the grade is low enough that water doesn't pool around pex line.

Last edited:
Also:

Just to cover all my bases, I hear some people are more impressed with the logstor brand line than thermopex. I live in the Rochester NY area and know 2 dealers an hour away that carry thermopex. Does anyone know a dealer in western NY that carries logstor?

Latest posts

Back