Help Will this work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi guys i got my first load of wood in tree length logs. and it was hard to cut and move the logs and role them on the ground for cutting

for my next load i want to make it more easy on myself

i have a welder and was thinking of making something like this to make my job of moving and getting my logs off the ground for easy cutting

check out the pictures i will build one that's more stronger then this.

or if you guys have a better way to work and cut logs please post pictures of your ideas and tools

thanks
Jason

levers like that work mint!!! i have one for rolling and cutting logs on the ground. it is an older one and alot better built. when you make your own use a steel handle to prevent breakage....better yet if your equipped, build and aluminum lever ( reduced weight ) when you build it, post some pics!!!

-mike

dose anyone else use a kanthook like that to raise the logs off the ground for cuting firewood if not what are your tricks.

thanks
Jason

RoosterBoy said:
dose anyone else use a kanthook like that to raise the logs off the ground for cuting firewood if not what are your tricks.

thanks
Jason

I don't like the "jack" feature and removed mine the first day I used it. When bucking firewood, I will make my cuts about 3/4 through on one side, roll the log with the cant hook and finish the cuts. Keeps the saw out of the dirt and makes for an enjoyable day of cutting without messing with dull chains.

I like mine.

I have one with a 4 foot handle, the leverage is great.
To make things better I shortened the hight of it by about half, which is plenty to keep the bar out of the dirt.
I suggest a wood handle as it is light enough, strong enough. Metal would work as well, but tubing (or pipe) is going to bend on you.

-Pat

I have all my fire wood delivered log length and cut it up myself. I use a "Timberjack" alot when i get to the logs not laying on other logs, helps me to keep my saw out of the dirt. Dont buy the cheapest one you find or you will be disappointed. I bought an"all metal" one from Northern and it was pretty flimsy and easily bent. The handle was made from really thin tubing. I used the general design from one and made own out of scrap 1" case hardened steel shafting from work. It is very heavy, but I can lift most anything I can get the hook to grab into and I dont have to worry about this one bending. On large diameter smooth bark stuff I use a sledge to get the hooK to grab, but its still faster than sharpening a chain thats been run in the dirt.
The one from Northern i plan to beef up a bit by sliding another pipe over the existing handle and welding it on.

Logrite from bailey"s

Bailey's sell logrite canthooks with a lifetime warranty on handles and they (Bailey's) are a site sponsor.

Depends on the size of the log, but for the most part, cut into the log about half, stick in a wedge, and then cut down as far as possible without hitting dirt. Repeat until all the log is cut, then use a cant to roll it over, and then usually insert the bar into the previous cut and pull up.

buckwheat said:
Depends on the size of the log, but for the most part, cut into the log about half, stick in a wedge, and then cut down as far as possible without hitting dirt. Repeat until all the log is cut, then use a cant to roll it over, and then usually insert the bar into the previous cut and pull up.
I've experienced several minor kickbacks cutting up in the first cut (while inserting the bar) so generally cut the last bit from the top now, much safer and quicker too imho. A good layer of sawdust works very well as long as its clean, in the past I have set 3"-5" diameter lengths of scrap spaced 16"-20" (depending on the length required) which keeps the lengths constant and your chain outta the dirt. Lifting levers are cool but haven't used them myself.
My 0.02$ for the afternoon. :chainsaw:

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back