Help with a bud's POS Mac 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This saw is dumb

What are the stock carb settings for this thing. It has four screws (as if three was not enough):
idle by the trigger
HS
LS
and some dumb screw that operates a plastic nub that contacts the throttle blade

I adjusted the HS since it was so rich it had no power, and now the POS wont start cold

TIA

Strictly a guess on my part, but is one of the four carb screws maybe a high-idle adjuster?

Glen

I dont think it has a gasket problem, because it was idling earlier in the day.

The idle speed adjustment is next to the throttle trigger. The other screw only operates a little plastic finger that directly contacts the throttle blade, and only comes into play when the throttle is closed. This thing I have no idea where to set. I dont think it follows the old "turn the screw all the way in and then back it out one turn" rule

4 types of carbs on the 10-10 Macs.
A Mac "W" series,Tillotsen HS,Walbro SDC,or A Zama
Sounds like a W series carb,there were 2 types of those
On the early one fuel is metered by an adjustable needle valve attached to the throttle shaft, on later models this only adjusts the idle mixture.
High speed operation on early models is controlled by an adjusting screw which determines throttle plate opening.Later models use a fuel needle for high speed adjustment.
Which do you have?

Ok its not a W series or a Zama
The adjustment screw in the trigger is the fast idle setting for starting when the trigger is latched in the start position.
The screw that contacts the throttle blade is the idle speed adjstment screw. The other 2 are just high speed and low speed
Start with those 1 turn open

OK, so the trigger one only takes effect when the high idle is engaged.

So one turn out on the retarded idle adjustment should at least get this pig started. Thanks

carb

Actually, the reason I mentioned the gasket is due to the 6 or so I have had just this problem with. Does not act like your normal air leak. See what happens after the adjust.

I have two saws with the Tillotsen HS carb... and unless Mac has bolted on extra stuff, it doesn't look like the ones I have.

Back