Help with a Stihl 011 AVT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipmc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im fixing a Stihl 011 AVT for my uncle The fuel and Pulse lines where rotted. The Fuel line is easy but the pulse line is throwing me for a loop what is involved with replaceing it ? I have gotten ahold of a a IPL for this saw thanks to West Texas ( thank you again ) but i still dont understand exactly how it goes. Thanks in Advance

I didn't start that thread, I asked a similar question in it , but it appears to of been ignored. So i started a new thread about this one instance. My Apologies for any confussion. Also i talked to the Stihl dealer today about this and have gotten everything figured out now, just have to put it all together tonight. Again sorry for any confussion.

Last edited:
Well i got the 011 AVT running, Ran great after I got the Spark plug replaced ( when i first tried to crank it fired right off and ran great for about 1 min then died like i had shut it off with the kill switch, Pulled the plug and test it for fire and was firing great. I put it back and wouldn't hit a lick, So i put a new plug in and it runs great now ) I did notice the clutch is worn out Chain spins at idle no matter how low I adjust the idle on it.

I Took it outside in a well lighed area and tried it on a 4 inch thick gum tree log and it cut slow but didn't phase the engine at all just kept chugging along through it.

Im fixing a Stihl 011 AVT for my uncle The fuel and Pulse lines where rotted. The Fuel line is easy but the pulse line is throwing me for a loop what is involved with replaceing it ? I have gotten ahold of a a IPL for this saw thanks to West Texas ( thank you again ) but i still dont understand exactly how it goes. Thanks in Advance

There a fuel line and a tank VENT line.. not "impulse". Make sure the little screw is in the vent line.

Opps! I found that in the old line but didn't bother to put back in the new line. I thought it got in there by accident ( sometimes no telling what you find in a saw )

Last edited:
i would like the ipl and pdf from you please!

I have the IPL and service manual in PDF for your saw. PM me your email addy if you'd like them.

I have this saw and I cant figure out how to get it running. It has 2 holes in the top of the tank. 1 has a fitment on it for a tube and the other is just a hole with no threads. No tubes are running to the carb. I put a tube on the carb and connected it to the fitment on the tank but it still wont start. Gas just runs out of these holes otherwise.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

mahnertree,

I've just had my 011 AV apart for the first time since I bought it, unrunning, with the house.

The one with the fitting is the "vent tube;" it has a little set screw inside it (or should have) to retard the flow of raw gas out when the saw is up-ended but nevertheless to let air back in. That tube vents into the clutch area through a squarish opening in the corner behind the carb. On mine, although rotted, a piece of foam filter was zip-tied around the end, and that filter is hidden behind a gold-colored metal shield you can see with the blade shroud off. The shield is held on with one scrench-sized bolt, which is deep in a hole underneath it, and probably hidden by sawdust and oil.

The other hole should have a tube coming from the (fuel filter on the bottom of the) fuel tank; that's a much longer tube, and that's the one that connects to the fitting on the carb, just above where the vent tube exits.

Capiche?

How do I replace the hose in my Stihl 011avt?

The oil hose has deteriorated in my 1989 model Stihl 011avt. I can see how to connect a new hose to the oil pump BUT I cannot figure out how to connect the other end to the bar area without splitting the case. Surely Stihl would not design something like that - would they? Is there possibly a short nipple that I can remove, pass the oil pump end through then attach the other end to the nipple and press it back in place? Thanks! Bob

The oil delivery line runs from a nipple on the oil pump up to the hole in the bar mount pad. The line is held in place by a short length of metal tubing that is tapered on the end pressed into the oil line and flared on the outer end. This metal sleeve seals and locks the end of the oil line in the hole on the oil tank. You can fish the end of the new line through the hole with a fine wire if it is cut on a taper ( like the end of a hypodermic needle). Just cut the tapered end off square, and press in the metal sleeve,

011avt oil line replacement

Galde, How do you recommend I remove this brass thimble? Thanks for the great reply! Bob

Manual

I have the IPL and service manual in PDF for your saw. PM me your email addy if you'd like them.

Hello, Im looking for a PDF manual for a 011 avt. The only thing I could find on the Stihl site was a chain saw safety manual for this saw.

Would more than appreciate your help...

Ken

Latest posts

Back