Help with a tree on our new property!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardwella

Reaction score
Hello, so glad I found this site! My husband and I just bought land to build our new home home on. The tree I’m asking about was one of the reasons we were so interested in the land. It’s BEAUTIFUL! We cleared the thorns and trash weeds away from it. Then, we found the center of the tree has a hole with an unknown depth full of red water. Now, a year later, one of the two of the main limbs are starting to struggle. Also, someone threw hundreds of bricks at the base of the tree years ago. They’ve settled in deep. Should we leave them or dig them out? Any ideas what could be done to save this beautiful tree?

Attachments

• EE7F7DFB-3DA2-4054-BA0B-D886E3C68F9E.jpeg
    EE7F7DFB-3DA2-4054-BA0B-D886E3C68F9E.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 84FA361E-E0E3-480A-9770-BE602866FA6A.png
    84FA361E-E0E3-480A-9770-BE602866FA6A.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D071528-C27C-446D-86B3-B1D56FE64B29.jpeg
    7D071528-C27C-446D-86B3-B1D56FE64B29.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 27DE0621-3E8F-4B98-85E7-33847D7F32C1.jpeg
    27DE0621-3E8F-4B98-85E7-33847D7F32C1.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
It's hard to tell from your pictures, it looks like your tree might be a southern red oak.
Many different issues can cause a tree to decline like oak wilt for example. It looks like a beautiful old tree and worth getting a professional arborist to look at.

Was there much equipment used to clear the underbrush?

How were the stumps removed that were near this tree?

Were there any soil level changes made?

It's hard to tell from your pictures, it looks like your tree might be a southern red oak.
Many different issues can cause a tree to decline like oak wilt for example. It looks like a beautiful old tree and worth getting a professional arborist to look at.
Was there much equipment used to clear the underbrush?

How were the stumps removed that were near this tree?

Were there any soil level changes made?

Del_, we cleared the underbrush by hand using hand tools. The stumps are still there. The trees that were removed were cut down by hand close to the tree. The ones farther away we used bigger machinery. But it was not allowed in the area near the tree. No digging for stumps. The only soil level changes were the driveway and it was an existing. We took the top down slightly lower. I think the driveway is probably 20 yards away from the tree.

Also, someone threw hundreds of bricks at the base of the tree years ago. They’ve settled in deep. Should we leave them or dig them out?

Pull out the bricks, regardless of whatever else becomes of the tree. They will never be good for the tree, they will always be a complicating problem during it's potential removal, and they won't look good should it become a treasured shade tree.

Hang on to the bricks, they might have some value, or maybe just use them in your landscape.

Latest posts

Back