Help with an unknown measuring instrument

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viper

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have been told to find how to use a measuring instrument that is used in arborism or in forestry's work and in is named something like a "piladyne". I know for a fact that it is spelled wrong. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be then they could reply to this thread.
Thanks for the help...
Viper

Viper said:
Ok it looks like I have this forum stumped as well, it may be a "pilodyne".

I got several hits on google. Looks like it's also used to measure wood density in general.

Clark, R. W. & Squirrell, J. P., The Pilodyne - an instrument for assessing the condition of waterlogged wooden objects.
Studies in Conservation, 30 (1985), pp 177-83.

Yeah i found that too but i needed to know how it is used and I was wondering if any one knew... It took me a while to find its correct spelling...

Pilodyn

Ya got me curious enough to go looking and here is your answer> http://www.corvib.com/pilodyn/
Further research indicates that they are not a reliable tool for assessing living wood densities as they only penetrate the fist several rings of the wood, also they are not accurate at all when going through bark as the densities vary considerably. A more percise tool for such measuring is called a Resistograph, a system that also uses a needle but also a drill that bores a hole around it, the resistance inside the electric motor that drives it is where the measurement scale is taken from. Hope this clears that up for ya.
:cheers:

Serge (curiousity is my middle name)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help. It has helped me alot. I was at a dead end in my research but now I have finished. Again, thanks alot.....

Back