Help with Gas Can purchase....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This may be a trivial question or not on topic question but here goes... I want a gas can that is Plastic, When the pouring spout is on it does not leak vapor while in shed, is easy to refill without removing a funnel or struggling with a major spring action cap, has non overflow spout and does not have a a second cap for venting. WOW I am picky.

So far I have found the BriggsStratton SmartFill fuel container...my question is do you have to insert the entire spout into the machine fueling cap to get any gas to come out or can you tilt it just a bit and it will still pour ?

Also have found Blitz Self Venitng Cans and Spill Proof cans....I want the 2+ gallon size and the grip on th eback of cans looks unstable...

Any help with these or advice on others is appreciated:crazy1:

A Plastic can that don't vent will swell up like a balloon.

I like this can very much, holds 2.5 gallon. No fuel comes
out until you push the valve.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I want the 2+ gallon size and the grip on th eback of cans looks unstable...

I have this can. The grip is fine because 2 gallons isn't really that heavy and it's sufficient to allow good control when pouring into small tanks such as those found on chainsaws, string trimmers, etc. I'd buy another one. Besides working well enough, they're cheap and ubiquitous.

I prefer almost exact opposite!

If I want to overfill something, that is my choice.

I prefer the old style cans that have a vent cap. Makes for a smooth flow.
I have found that I really like my current setup. I tossed the plastic funnel that it came with and installed a metal washer with a hose barb in it. Then added 6 inches of 3/8 rubber line, with a stopped on the end.

Works like a charm. I can fill the saw without making a mess, the rubber fuel line is outliving the plastic spout already. I am happy :clap:

I really detest the latest version of "ventless" gas can they are selling.

-Pat

I prefer the old style cans that have a vent cap. Makes for a smooth flow. I have found that I really like my current setup. I tossed the plastic funnel that it came with and installed a metal washer with a hose barb in it. Then added 6 inches of 3/8 rubber line, with a stopped on the end.

pics please.

side note - I can't believe I'm requesting pics of somebody's gas can setup. I guess if we were still living in the old style gas can days, I wouldn't bother. But since we have EPA gas cans...

pics please.

side note - I can't believe I'm requesting pics of somebody's gas can setup. I guess if we were still living in the old style gas can days, I wouldn't bother. But since we have EPA gas cans...

I want a can I don't have to pick up to pour. Just squeeze a bulb and it fills the tank... of course I haven't looked for one. Am I lazy or what??? I just don't like overflowing the tank every once in a while, the spout blocks my view, and so on.... just like that primer bulb on the boat... yea...

here's the best! I like the one gal version for quick fills.

10327.jpg

I have a couple of the justrites. They pour fine but to fill them one had has to hold a lever to hold up the fill cap. And that cap doesn't really open as far as I would like. And as you fill them, it's easy to accidentally let the cap come down on whatever you are filling it with (like at a gas pump) which I believe will takes it's toll on the cap mechanism over time.

So basically it means you can't use both hands to hold a can to pour into one of these. Like from one to another.

Also, as it turns out, the larger snout size (1 inch) like I have on my 5 gallon can doesn't fit into a auto or truck opening.

I use the 1 1/2 gallon one the most.

Last edited:
10368gp.jpg

I agree with the others...these Justrites are the best. For those with p/u trucks it's not an issue, but I have to travel with my gas can in the back of an enclosed SUV, and I won't do that without a TANK of a tank. (These are similar to what 046 posted, but with a trigger mechanism added.)

These fit that bill. I use the 1.5 gallon so I don't have to empty it completely before refilling in order to keep the mix "justrite." (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!)

10368gp.jpg

I agree with the others...these Justrites are the best. For those with p/u trucks it's not an issue, but I have to travel with my gas can in the back of an enclosed SUV, and I won't do that without a TANK of a tank. (These are similar to what 046 posted, but with a trigger mechanism added.)

These fit that bill. I use the 1.5 gallon so I don't have to empty it completely before refilling in order to keep the mix "justrite." (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!)

I ones I have are this newer style with a trigger. The trigger is nice for pouring, but I wonder if maybe it contributes to the filling issues. Cause now their is only one cap.

here's the best! I like the one gal version for quick fills.

10327.jpg

Ah yes. This is very similar to what I use. (though mine are a bit older and have an attached funnel) I would never trade it for any of the new, ventless plastic tanks with those shoddy and incredibly annoying, self opening valves. (someone stole one of my older plastic vented tanks, and had to replace it with one of those modern ventless nightmares :angry2: )

The ones Trigger-Time and Uwharrie posted look like something I'd be happy with though.

So far I have found the BriggsStratton SmartFill fuel container...my question is do you have to insert the entire spout into the machine fueling cap to get any gas to come out or can you tilt it just a bit and it will still pour ?

The Briggs SmartFill will do everything you want but, it will not work just tilted. It must be fully inserted and pushed down into the tank opening to function.
It is the can I grab first when fueling the small genset,lawn mower or snowblower.

I like what we call a Dolmar out here, I think they're call piggyback cans elsewhere. Gas on one side, bar oil on the other. They have the spouts, but I cut them down shorter (since they stick into the can when not in use) and never actually use them for pouring. Just have to learn to pour steadily. As for the justrites, we have some of those in the 5 gallon size at the FS, and they suck. They weigh more than regular jerries, in order to get any volume out of them you have to hold the fill hole open, and you can't stick the handle of your pulaski through the handle of the can and throw it over your shoulder. Whatever works for you though.

IMO the combi-can's are superb, theyre big enough for day in the woods (~6l of gas and ~3l of bar oil), you can carry files and wrenches on it and they have overfill-protection....

H410-0164.gif

Give me a break! It's a gas can for chirsakes. Use an empty gallon container of shell oil. Works for me!

OH NO!............I got to have my fancy can
I love my fancy can, can't you tell.......I even
took a picture of my fancy can. I would
never, never have a shell oil can, that would not
look good with my saws. :)

If I want to overfill something, that is my choice.

I tossed the plastic funnel that it came with and installed a metal washer with a hose barb in it. Then added 6 inches of 3/8 rubber line, with a stopped on the end. Works like a charm. I can fill the saw without making a mess, the rubber fuel line is outliving the plastic spout already. I am happy :clap:
-Pat

THANKS!:rock:

That is the solution to several plastic gasoline containers that I have prematurely 'retired' or filled with fluids other than gasoline!!!

I will have to get some pix

Maybe I can borrow a camera (mine died). Anyway....

You use a round hunk of aluminum, about 1/4 thick. Tap a 1/8 in. pipe hole in it, and use some sealer. 3/8 nipple from hardware store. Cut a gasket and use the "nut" that fits the can. For the stopper, find a 3/8 smooth shaft (old bolt) and drill a hole across it for a roll pin.

The vent cap isn't really manditory, I fill my saw by simply squeezing the can a few times. I would suppose that a 1/2" version would flow better :)

-Pat

Latest posts

Back