Help with huge Oak in front constantly dropping leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodah

Reaction score
I have a huge Oak tree in front of my home that has bloomed leaves this spring (which was a bit messy with the pod/husks, etc). The problem, now is that we're in Summer and it is still dropping leaves, either individual or clusters of them. I rake the yard clear but by the next day, I've got a fair scattering of leaves again. We just purchased this home in January, so we don't know the history behind the tree. All I can describe to you at this time is the location and size of the tree on my lot.

It is approx 3.5-4 ft in diameter and I'd guess at 80 ft tall.

It comes up at the foot of our driveway. Yes, it's right next to our cement driveway.

There are surface roots that run across the lawn in a few spots for about 30ft

We've had plenty of water (with rains on and off this spring) so I'm not sure if water is an issue.

After looking up and closely examining the tree, there are a few bare branches that look dead to me near the middle of the tree. Otherwise, there are plenty of leaves all over this tree.

Any help would be great.

-b

BTW- I'm going to try taking some photographs and upload them to help.

Could this be caused by squirrels? The are always chewing fine branches, and can make quite a mess - on a tree that big, filling up a 15 gallon trash can per week is certainly not out of the question. That is my first thought when you said you were finding clusters of leaves.

If that is the case, no worries.

Pictures could certainly help.

Could this be caused by squirrels? The are always chewing fine branches, and can make quite a mess - on a tree that big, filling up a 15 gallon trash can per week is certainly not out of the question. That is my first thought when you said you were finding clusters of leaves.

If that is the case, no worries.

Pictures could certainly help.

Squirrels come to mind as you say in particular with clusters of leaves.

To the poster don't worry the cement drive is unlikely to bother your Oak tree.

Agree with the squirrel theory...If you examine the ends and see they are not torn but very smoothly chewed you can blame it on squirrels who chew off the branch tips to sharpen their teeth and make their nests(with persistent oak leaves attached). They seem to drop more than they hang onto....

Latest posts

Back