Help with Husqvarna selection for a non-professional

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut firewood (not commercially) with a Husky 50 (16") and 55 (18") and an older Homelite XL350 (20"). Nothing wrong with the Homelite except that it's my Dad'sand somewhat dated. I want to get a mid-size Husky for use with a 20" bar and am torn between a 261 (which has been offered at a very good price by my local dealer since 261's aren't in the 2002 catalog) and a 365.

I had in mind that I needed a 4.0 cu. in. saw and that's the 365. But I could use some input on whether I really need to consider a 365 over the 3.8 cu. in. 261. I expect the 261 will do everything I'll want, probably much better than the Homelite does now.

Anyone have any experience with either or both of these saws? Anything really good or bad about either model that should influence my choice?

Thanks in advance. -WSJ

You might want to double check ths but I'm pretty shure that the 261 has the same chassis as your 55. Being able to able to salvage parts after one dies could be really handy.

marshallr

How much cheaper is the 261 than the 365? Get the 261, use the savings over the 365 and send it to John Walker in BC. Then it will whip all over that 365.

The 261's $100 less than the 365.

And the fact that I've got the $$ for the 261 in hand and don't have the extra hundred for the 365 without breaking out the plastic (and hiding the bill from my wife) kind of enters into the mix too. Not that hiding the credit card bill is outside the realm of possibility, mind you.

Pardon my newbie ignorance but who's John Walker and how much does enhanced performance cost?

I do not want to quote prices for John but I think he usually is in the $125 range plus shipping. He does excellent work. Takes a couple of weeks, however. He can be found in the paid advertisers area of this bulletin board. I would definitely p/u the 261 in your situation.

I would say get hooked up with JW and see if you could just order one through the mail Walkerized and save the shipping there. He might even be able to sell you a 261 'W' brand new. But i cant guarentee that.

I would definitely agree with the replies. Confused made a very good point with buying from John, although any sale not made personnally isn't always the most comforting. If you buy from him, you only pay shipping to you. I paid 40 US for shipping from Walkers to Northern Wisconsin. Also keep this in mind, if you buy from him, have it Walkerized, and shipped to you, you added an additional 170 US to the price of the saw. Is it worth it? Up to you, but the performance is unbelievable til you run one. Good luck with you're decision.

I would agree with syndert, go with Jonsy's its a more classy chainsaw than the husky. You would be a connoisseur of sorts.

Could someone weigh in on this? I just checked and the 261 and 55 Huskys both have the exact same fuel and oil capacitys. To me, this points to them both sharing the same chassis.

I know that I compared my 262xp to my uncle's 55 and it was the same chassis. From what I can tell the 261 is just a detuned 262xp.

Marshall

261 & 55 chasis size

First, thanks for the input and advice. I voted my wallet and bought the 261 and used both it and the 55 this weekend. I had a new bar and chain on the 55 and thought the 261 a noticable step up in performance; I was pleased with it.

As for chasis size, I'm no expert but with both sitting side by side, the 261 looks to be a larger-framed saw than the 55. I didn't have a scale but it felt a bit heavier, too (without bars & chains on either). Oddly, my old 50 felt like it weighs almost as much as the 261 and definitely heavier than the 55. Anyone know the weight of a 50? I may have to dig deep into the file cabinet to find the owners manual for the 50 just to find out.

-WSJ

The 261's $100 less than the 365.

And the fact that I've got the $$ for the 261 in hand and don't have the extra hundred for the 365 without breaking out the plastic (and hiding the bill from my wife) kind of enters into the mix too. Not that hiding the credit card bill is outside the realm of possibility, mind you.

Pardon my newbie ignorance but who's John Walker and how much does enhanced performance cost?

I guess you opted for the 261 back then, as you recently posted about it - so this thread got concluded more than 6 years later.......:biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, but I got interested in your post history, when I notised that you joined in 2002, and only had a few posts.........

Last edited:
old-thread-batman.jpg

The 365 makes a fine firewood saw. It's built like a 372 with less hp so it will last you forever! You will not be able to kill it ;) You also have the possibility to upgrade it to a real 372 with new p&c.

Saw Troll: Yeah, it's the same 261. I found this site back in '02 and have lurked about a bit since but haven't gotten into any discussions until recently. I've just been using it and other saws. Now I'm trying my hand at modifying it, in part because it's never really impressed me and in part because I got all crazy this fall and bought first a 372 and then a 346NE (this site is bad for me). In truth I should have sucked it up and bought the 372 back then. -WSJ

Back