Help with my MS-290 PLEASE!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LOVE FIREWOOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a fairly new saw about a year and a half old not use all the time but here is the problem: When I am cutting with a brand new chain it boggs down really bad and just keeps doing it like it isn't getting any gas, someone told me that the 290s have a problem with the fuel line pinching when you give it gas sometimes thus causing the bogging down. Could anyone please help with there opinions, Thanks

Muffler Screen?

Have you pulled the spark arrestor out of the muffler and checked to make sure it's not clogged?

This is a fairly new saw about a year and a half old not use all the time but here is the problem: When I am cutting with a brand new chain it boggs down really bad and just keeps doing it like it isn't getting any gas, someone told me that the 290s have a problem with the fuel line pinching when you give it gas sometimes thus causing the bogging down. Could anyone please help with there opinions, Thanks

Is it still under warranty? How long has it sat? Does it have old gas in it?
DW :)

Well now that you asked about the gas I used to run just regular gas in it and someone told me to use medium grade gas and thats what I did and that is what gas is in it now, I wonder if it don't like it?

Well now that you asked about the gas I used to run just regular gas in it and someone told me to use medium grade gas and thats what I did and that is what gas is in it now, I wonder if it don't like it?

That may make it not perform to it's max but that shouldn't make it bog. You say it only does it with a brand new chain, huh, could be a-lot of different things, plugged air filter, scored piston. I would start with the obviouse and work from there,

Sounds like the gas line to me. Had the same issue with the 029Super.

That may make it not perform to it's max but that shouldn't make it bog. You say it only does it with a brand new chain, huh, could be a-lot of different things, plugged air filter, scored piston. I would start with the obviouse and work from there,

straight gas? scored piston? take off the muffler and see what the piston looks like.......:monkey: :monkey:

will it rev at all? mine did the same thing check out the spark plug, mine was loose. also make for sure everything is tight. it could just be a plug going bad or a bad connection

Last edited:
Was this gradual or all of a sudden? Have you tried to adjust the carb? Those saws are set up lean for EPA, when they get broke in, it gets worse. Have you tried turning the High screw out a bit? Pull the plug and see what color it is, that should get you going on the right track. If it is white, it's lean. Black and carbon build up, it's rich.

Just a thought, you said new chain. Are you sure you have the right pitch and guage chain? Chain brake is not engaged?
Check the easy stuff first, you never know.

Latest posts

Back