Help with the cold and my hands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry all , I guess we digressed from Owl,s cold lunch hooks ...... Owl; how are your hands doing any way ????????? It is the warmest here it has been for at least a month , 8 above 0.. It,s a heat wave ,,,,call Al Gore !!!!!! :jester::jester::censored: I was wearing regular leather gloves for part of today .Have had a brand new pair laying on the seat of the truck for over a month ... Didn,t even need a face mask today .. But my flip down face screen stilled iced up .But I only had to thaw it out on the muffler one time today .......It snowed and so the roads got slick .........

Here's the event where I found out about Ballerina Foot Balm on da face.
I did this ski thing both winters I was there. If youse wait till the crowd has gone ahead, (have a beer or something stronger) the ice tilts and you can ski downhill to Washburn.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RhAasp8MV9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RhAasp8MV9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Choppers

dont wear fingered Gloves when very cold wear mittens, (chopper type) with a liner and fingered glove inside. (in case ya have to take them off) I use the cheep stretchy cotton gloves in side of mine or the fancy white ones (The fagot Michael Jackson ones) Hard to get used to working with choppers on but when fingers are warm ya get used to it, hell I climb with them all the time when it gets below 0.

Heck,when we worked together I thought ya looked Cute in dem M. jacksons Knowin your such a fan and all.The mans right, leather choppers I use ragg wool liners which have a thinsulate liner in them.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this method or not, but it works for me. I wear cheapie latex surgical gloves as a base, then Boss assembly grip nitrile palm gloves, plus heavy thinsulate gloves over that. Works great. If I have to work outside (day job as carpenter) I'll ditch the heavy outer gloves if I have to for something requiring finer dexterity. Out sawing and such, though, my hands will sweat right down to 5 degrees so long as I keep moving.

Owl, or anyone else,

A trick I've used often is to swing my arms either in a circle, or forward and back no higher than the shoulder so as to increase the "drive" of warm blood to the fingertips. Kinda using centrifugal force to help increase blood pressure and flow. For me the effects are almost instant warmth.

I like to climb ice in the winter and sometimes with your hands above your head gripping your axes, your fingers freeze to where they seem to scream. Half a minute of swinging your arms seems to work.

slowp, in my house my lower back is often used by my daughters/wife to warm their feet. I snivel, but they seem to quite like it. Apparently I am quite warm. Not sure if they like the comfort of my back or tormenting me with their little frozen feet.

Latest posts

Back