Help!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freyboy23

Freyboy23

ArboristSite Guru
Guys I am looking for a generator. If anyone could give some input that would be great. I am looking for the most Watts for around 1300$ range. Let me know guys I have no Idea what I am looking for. Thanks for reading and the advice!!

wkeev

wkeev

ArboristSite Guru
I got my gen. after the blackout . My wife thought it was a waste of money until the ice storm and the power was out for 3 days . I always try to have at least 15 gallons of gas in the winter. My OWB won't heat house without power . I got it at home depot , its called a wheelhouse 5500 -8500 surge . It has a briggs motor and a generac gen. , starts 1st pull . It does just about anything I need it to . I think I paid around 700.00 for it back then .

lambs

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Best of luck to you guys in the Northeast!

I have a 5500 watt model I bought before Floyd hit us to power my sump pump during / after the storm. Power went out at 2 a.m. and I bailed the sump well with a 5 gal bucket and a cut opened milk jug until 6 am.....why? Because I didn't have enough time to get the generator set up and running before the well filled up again on each trip out of the basement.

The generator ran all day after that.

I also later learned I could power both gas furnaces with it and have power to spare. So it comes in handy during ice storms when the power goes....

flashhole

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
I picked up a Generac 8,500 watt surge to 10KW. In emergencies I power my well, furnace, 2 refrigerators, computer, radio, and a few lights. It will do my entire house as long as I don't try and run the electric range, TVs or electric dryer all at the same time. You have to rotate your gasoline storage but it's not a big deal and gas stabilizers help a lot. Just be smart about it. I made up pictoral instructions for my wife to go "off the grid" in the event I am not around to get it hooked up in an emergency. Be mindful to disconnect from the main power grid before you hook up a generator. You don't want to be the person who killed the repair man. And, I have a portable power plant to haul around the farm when I need my welder or electric tools to do a chore.

I should add I also use a ground stake to ground the generator (metal plumbing works too) and have the ability to get it under cover if it is raining. I hook up through a 40 amp outlet in the garage with a 35' cable. The cable was about $100.

Last edited:
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Sizing a generator is going to be pretty specific to your needs. Sorta like buying shoes. Too small is worthless and too big will work but not be the best.

What do you NEED to run with it? I have a 5000 watt 6250 surge. I run our 220v deep well water pump with it plus our two freezers, a fridge, a microwave and lights in the living room. (Not all at once). We heat with wood so this generator allows us to have life as usual except for hot water and laundry in power outages.

I have a little 2 stroke 800 watt unit that I use for charging batteries, running lights and small power tools. These can be found for less than $100. They are good for camping and would be fine for power outages if you just need to run some lights and electronics.

I originally had a 3500 watt generator to run a 1 hp air compressor that I used in my mobile repair business. It wouldn't start the compressor unless I drained the air out of it. So I sold it and bought the 5000 watt one which worked fine for that purpose.

The generator I have is a Coleman Powermate with a 10hp Tecumseh engine. They have sold for the last 20 years for about $500 bucks give or take $50. I have used mine extensively including framing our new house. Paid for itself many times over.

watsonr

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
The generator I have is a Coleman Powermate with a 10hp Tecumseh engine. They have sold for the last 20 years for about $500 bucks give or take $50. I have used mine extensively including framing our new house. Paid for itself many times over.

Same generator I have. Saved our bacon during Isabel and has ever since. Runs everything we need and some things that make it nice and sometimes... I let the girls use a hair dryer!!

If your not pressed, wait until after the storm has settled down and watch the classified ads in your area.. they sell them like hot cakes.

ckelp

ckelp

just being myself
i wish i knew something about generators:hmm3grin2orange:

i guess i have to play nice guy well
i say look on cragslist for a used one i had a friend pick up a 20kw kohler with 700hrs for $1000
the biggest thing i look for is 1) what RPM's dose it run it? most home stand-by's and probables run at 3600RPM's. i'd look for one that runs at 1800RPM's..

try to say away from generac, and that's coming from a factory trained tech...

Last edited:
greg409

greg409

ArboristSite Guru

Ask me, I went to ONAN school in MN. in the 60's - I might remember something.

Ditto RE: 5kw - I run furnace, 2 sump pumps, computor, various lights, fridge, small chest freezer, etc. (no A/C)

8hp, 5gal, lasts almost 8hrs - about $500 10yrs ago.

luck,greg

dbittle

dbittle

ArboristSite Operative
I bought a Powermate 5000W (6250W surge) three or four years ago. We ran it for a week straight last year when tornadoes cleaned out most of the power in north Alabama. I sized it so it would run our water heater and we could get hot showers from time to time. It was big enough to keep us going pretty well. It uses a Subaru engine which runs all day on 5 gallons of gas. If you need to run electronics on it, do some research because most generators (including mine) don't put out very clean AC power. Mine would run the microwave oven (sort of) but not nearly as well as normal power does. The TV was ok on it, and I didn't try the computer.

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
Same generator I have. Saved our bacon during Isabel and has ever since. Runs everything we need and some things that make it nice and sometimes... I let the girls use a hair dryer!!

If your not pressed, wait until after the storm has settled down and watch the classified ads in your area.. they sell them like hot cakes.

This is so true. Here back in Jan '09 the were trucking them in by the semi load. Then the next week C/L was plum full of them. One gut never even opened his. Waited at the the HD in line, bought it and as he pulled in the drive, his lights came on... why he tried to sell it is beyond me.

Stores around here still have surplus generators, advertise them on sale constantly. Stores that never carry generators bought a truck load to try to make a buck... so glad 4 years later they still have some of them. :laugh:

Also check w/ your Home Owners Insurance. Around here they had two offers they would buy it back after the storm or give you half the cost, and you keep the generator, but this was if you had to buy it during an outage to save food.

Mine came from HD, 8500 surge, does what I need (almost) my heat pump is 220 and I haven't wired it into the house to run that yet. SO i heat w/ wood and portable propane or electric heaters of the gen.

dw

struggle

struggle

Got stumps?
I know out of your budget but a Yamaha or Honda with eco throttle is a way better unit and the price up front will be worth it down the road as they hold value really good.

The lessor genarators will burn a lot more fuel and a lot more noise.

If you have nat gas I personally would look into a built in unit even though costly if you are in an area prone to power outages they can run automatic with out doing anything.

I had a troy built one that surge 8500 watts and continous 5500 that I used for our camper for one week and sold it later down on. I ran our house one night a for a couple of hours with it by using a dummy meter base that only feed the home side not the electric companies side. It ran everythign we would normally use in the house except we never tired A/C (central air unit) hot water heater as those I turned off. Ran both fridges etc. Microwave no problem. Did not try over as there was not need to.

Kavall

Kavall

ArboristSite Lurker
The only thing that hasn't been overly covered is the new inverter style generators tend to run quieter and burn less fuel for a given power generation. They also provide cleaner power, however they are a fair bit more expensive.
Take a very hard look at fuel consumption the ratings often can be at 25% power. Nothing worse than having to fill a genset every four hours when you are counting on it keeping a fridge, freezer, or heat running.

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
What I look for in an emergency use generator is not one that will allow all the usual comforts and conveniences we take for granted. I want something that will allow us to survive adequately until line power is restored. This would include some lights, the ability to charge computers and phones, running our water well and most importantly running the fridge and our upright and chest freezers. We can live without the washing machine and dryer, the heat pump or air conditioner. (fans in summer, wood heat in winter).

We built the house with a generator transfer switch wired in which allows for the well pump at 240v and 4 additional 120v circuits. One for fridge, one for freezers, one for microwave and one for living room lights and outlets. I have a long cord I made up that reaches out the basement door to the generator.

We get by with this 5kw generator and have used it twice for hurricane outages and once for an ice storm. We have used it a number of other times but those three events were multiple days. We and our neighbors are literally the end of the line so we expect to be one of the last people restored if the outage is local.

I think that often, when there is a widespread calamity like Sandy, a lot of money is spent on generators that goes far beyond what people can get by with. In reality, most power outages are not that long lived. The longest one I've experienced was 3 days. (x 3)

Because of the temporary duration of outages, I think fuel economy is really not much of a consideration. If a person burns 12 gallons or 24 gallons for an event that may happen only once per decade, big deal. The big thing is to have SOME KIND of generator. They have been around for 50 years and can be found everywhere used and new. No excuses unless you live in an apartment or some other type of housing where you can't store one.

Generators can be shared. Go in on one with your neighbor. Cheap insurance. They don't have to be run 24/7. A couple hours will chill the fridge and freezers and then shut it off for half a day. etc. And if you have one. Get it out twice a year and run it for 30 minutes to keep it in a state of readiness.

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
I have a couple Honda's they have saved the bacon a few times (I had to say that) It seems the power goes out a couple times a year here

mikey517

mikey517

Living the Medicare dream
AS Supporting Member

i guess i have to play nice guy well
i say look on cragslist for a used one i had a friend pick up a 20kw kohler with 700hrs for $1000
the biggest thing i look for is 1) what RPM's dose it run it? most home stand-by's and probables run at 3600RPM's. i'd look for one that runs at 1800RPM's..

try to say away from generac, and that's coming from a factory trained tech...

Can I ask why about the Generac?

I was looking to upgrade from my Craftsman 6300w. I want to give the Craftsman to my daughter in Vermont.

I got the Craftsman after an isolated ice storm knocked out power for over a week. I was lucky to get it before noon of the first day, and it ran almost non stop the whole time. I keep 20 gals.of gas in reserve, but I'm rethinking that after Sandy. It runs my well pump, some lights, TV, 2 refrigerators, and my circulator pumps & zone valves for my wood boiler, and the fans for my Steffes ETS boiler system (electro thermal storage).

I really was looking at the Generac 10000.

Regards / Mike

Latest posts