help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hey every body, the guys filled saws on a brand new bluestone deck leaving stains we scrubbed the h out of it then went back with bleach and repeated, the gc said the mfing deck has to be replaced any tips, suggestions, recommendations, rude remarks??? j

Sometimes kitchen cleaners with degreaser work when nothing else will. Degreaser breaks up oil.

kkottemann said:
What is bluestone? Can it be sanded?

no, you can't sand it... it's a form of really dense sand stone....metal rakes will scratch it...it's soft but durable.... it's the same stuff you see every day used for patios and walkways... most people think it's slate...there is a crystal product that you mix with water,, to get oil stains out of concret... it's "T??"... you can get it at a good local hardware store.. that might work...i'd call the guy that put it in.. he night have some tips,, or maybe he can come and flip the thing over if the stain won't come out.. how big of stain is it..

O I would place them slabs at the stum to mass dampen the fall of log.:monkey:

juststumps said:
...there is a crystal product that you mix with water,, to get oil stains out of concret... it's "T??"... you can get it at a good local hardware store.. that might work.....

"TSP" - Don't remember what the letters are short for, but it's supposed to work pretty well at degreasing type activities.

Tri sodium phosphate, I think. Are you dealing with a stain or oil that is still in the stone. I have been using 20 minute drywall compound (its a powder drywall fast setting compound, sometimes USG Easy Sand 20 or 45 or 90, Lowes caries a 45 min one in a purple and white bag) to clean oil off of my shop floor. It really suck the oil out and if you work it with a stiff brush it erases the oil stain away, but this is on cured concrete. It's cheap and worth a try.

Jim

Another thought, I have used many cement based products to dry up oil on the shop floor. You might see if you can find some non sanded grout (for ceramic tile) in a color that is close to the stone. That way any remaining grout would help mask the stain.

Good luck,

Jim

Rule number one for groundsmen-fill the saws away from the job site, and if they must be refilled there, on the grass or gravel, which can be replaced easily and cheaply. We use something on our brick patio here when spills from the BBQ are absorbed into it and stain-believe it is TSP mentioned above. I will check. Perhaps contact a masonry supply place and ask them for advice???

Ouch, sometimes just leaving a saw on sandstone sucks, they dribble bar oil out and STAINED.

I always leave them on the grass or in the garden, and fuel up where spills dont matter.

Hard to keep your eye on everything though.

Good luck. Be a bugger if you have to fork out for it. :cry:

try some Dawn dish soap and 120 grit paper, otherwise bluestone is not real expensive, most suppliers will even cut the size and shape you need.

beowulf343 said:
Well first thing I would do is find some guys who can fill a saw without overflowing the tanks.:D

Sorry j, no other ideas.
send em i'm in ny everyday

TopJimmy said:
Tri sodium phosphate, I think. Are you dealing with a stain or oil that is still in the stone. I have been using 20 minute drywall compound (its a powder drywall fast setting compound, sometimes USG Easy Sand 20 or 45 or 90, Lowes caries a 45 min one in a purple and white bag) to clean oil off of my shop floor. It really suck the oil out and if you work it with a stiff brush it erases the oil stain away, but this is on cured concrete. It's cheap and worth a try.

Jim
thanks tj and all who gave advice on product and solutions i'll update on the situation j

Back