Helpful tip on buying crank bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As we know the crank bearings our saws use are typically open (no dust shields) on both sides. However I think the double shielded bearings are usually more popular in a given size. I've also found them much easier to find than the open.

With that said, I was shopping for some 6201 c3 bearings recently. I found if I went with the open bearing I needed, it was $10 a pc. If I went with the double rubber shielded it was $5 a pc! Double rubber shielded you can easily pop out both shields, flush the grease out and now you have your open bearing for half price. Not sure if this is common across other bearing sizes or not. Hope this helped.

BTW whats a good solvent that will dissolve the grease other than gasoline. Like acetone/mineral spirits ext?

In this case it was Nachi bearings bought online. Much easier to find them in the "2NSE" designation which is the double rubber shields. Glad I paid a fair price.

Leave the grease, it will pass thru over time.

As a matter of fact: My Pioneer/IEL model RA was originally equipped with double shielded (& greased) bearings from the factory.

I went with open on the rebuild.
59b018e0f676645d773f546c83f9dba2.jpg

Wd40 typically works good for flushing the grease out.

Back