Helping out a neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My buddy had a big ash tree dropped in his front yard by a tree service company some time back. His saw wasn't big enough to buck it up. So I stopped over with my Joe elect 394 and wws 2260. 7900 saw a little action to. He was suppose to get home from work by 3, so that's when I got there and got to work. By 345 I was done and he still wasn't home. Amazing what the right equipment can do. He texted me later and couldn't believe I cut it all up. I'm letting him think it took me all day. Lol. Might be a couple beers from him in my future. IMG_20151212_154141570.jpg IMG_20151212_154128477.jpg

My buddy had a big ash tree dropped in his front yard by a tree service company some time back. His saw wasn't big enough to buck it up. So I stopped over with my Joe elect 394 and wws 2260. 7900 saw a little action to. He was suppose to get home from work by 3, so that's when I got there and got to work. By 345 I was done and he still wasn't home. Amazing what the right equipment can do. He texted me later and couldn't believe I cut it all up. I'm letting him think it took me all day. Lol. Might be a couple beers from him in my future. View attachment 470007 View attachment 470010
Very neighborly sir, I couldn't say as I'd do any different than yourself! Darn it too that you "had to" get the big boys out and play lol! Where you live, I may move my tribe in next door and crash the neighborhood LMAO!! HAHA jus kiddin you can let your dogs and small livestock back out and unlock everything

I'm not getting any of the wood. In fact I told him I'd bring over my spliter soon and get my 1 beer for payment. Sometimes it's nice just being able to help. :chainsaw::givebeer:

My buddy had a big ash tree dropped in his front yard by a tree service company some time back. His saw wasn't big enough to buck it up. So I stopped over with my Joe elect 394 and wws 2260. 7900 saw a little action to. He was suppose to get home from work by 3, so that's when I got there and got to work. By 345 I was done and he still wasn't home. Amazing what the right equipment can do. He texted me later and couldn't believe I cut it all up. I'm letting him think it took me all day. Lol. Might be a couple beers from him in my future. View attachment 470007 View attachment 470010

With that dark center, that tree would have been absolutely BEAUTIFUL for milling.
img_20151212_154141570-jpg.470007

I wish I had a mill, I've mad into firewood plenty of nice hardwoods over the years that would have made some nice boards. Unfortunately my barn and sheds are already filled to the brim a d no room for a mill. Not sure I'd trust myself to an Alaskan either. Although I've thought hard about getting one

I wish I had a mill, I've mad into firewood plenty of nice hardwoods over the years that would have made some nice boards. Unfortunately my barn and sheds are already filled to the brim a d no room for a mill. Not sure I'd trust myself to an Alaskan either. Although I've thought hard about getting one

Warning, Warning, Old Thread Revival, Warning ;):):):):):)

Ash man, I don't know why you wouldn't trust yourself to an Alaskan Mill, unless you have an Addiction susceptible nature, Alaskan Milling can get Addictive;):surprised3::)

Alaskan Milling is not suited for Lumber Production type milling, awful slow and expensive way to produce construction lumber, unless you're in the wilds of, well Alaska;),

but for lower production uses like tables and other furniture or projects, an Alaskan mill can produce Excellent results, and be Very Fulfilling and Enjoyable.

I am still very new to Alaskan milling, but I have been very Impressed with the Quality and Workmanship, as well as design of the Granberg mills, also Band or circle mills that will handle wood of the size pictured are very expensive, compared to an Alaskan that will handle the same size wood, plus a tree can be milled in place if need be, and just need to handle the slabs, rather than entire logs of that size.

Just be Warned the CSMAD is also a real thing, even if not as well known as CAD is :D

Doug :cheers:

Warning, Warning, Old Thread Revival, Warning ;):):):):):)

Ash man, I don't know why you wouldn't trust yourself to an Alaskan Mill, unless you have an Addiction susceptible nature, Alaskan Milling can get Addictive;):surprised3::)

Alaskan Milling is not suited for Lumber Production type milling, awful slow and expensive way to produce construction lumber, unless you're in the wilds of, well Alaska;),

but for lower production uses like tables and other furniture or projects, an Alaskan mill can produce Excellent results, and be Very Fulfilling and Enjoyable.

I am still very new to Alaskan milling, but I have been very Impressed with the Quality and Workmanship, as well as design of the Granberg mills, also Band or circle mills that will handle wood of the size pictured are very expensive, compared to an Alaskan that will handle the same size wood, plus a tree can be milled in place if need be, and just need to handle the slabs, rather than entire logs of that size.

Just be Warned the CSMAD is also a real thing, even if not as well known as CAD is :D

Doug :cheers:
Someone should tell my uncle Alaskan milling isnt for production. He doesnt seem to know that. He also does quarter sawn too. This was from this past summer. This is half of his stock.
received_1905425626137867.jpeg received_1905426759471087.jpeg

Latest posts

Back