Helwig Springs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody use the Helwig (dont no if spelling is right)clamp on overload springs? I have a buddy with a 98 ram long box 4x4 it's a half ton.He has a light wight older camper around 1500 lbs empty but the truck drags it's a** with the camper in it and will also with a load of firewood. He is getting some Helwig over loader's supposed to give a level ride with 2000lbs in the back.

Thought I would post this on the firewood form as we haul the most!

He doesn't want to put allot of money into it as the truck is used only for hunting and getting firewood Just seeing if anyone has tried them as they are way cheaper than new springs or bags or even the big rubber things (Timbrines) I think they are called.
He was so impressed with my dodge being a hard core GM man he bought one! Now mine is a mint 79 power wagon 250 3/4 ton, with 13 leaf springs custom built in the back and a 440 nothing I cant haul:) and the 440 is not a smogger engine. I could not help it I had to add the last part about my tinney compared to a GM or Ford, Power wagon.

Last edited:
I put a set of helper springs on my F-150 long bed back in 2005. I don't remember the name or where I even got them. But they sure helped my sagging rearend when hauling a load.

I got them because I was going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland with two buddies. We hauled a freezer, generator and about 700 lbs of meat and a couple hundred pounds of gear back to Pennsylvania from Newfoundland.

They made a difference and I know I couldn't haul all of that without the helper springs. I think I got them from J C Whitney but I'm not sure.

I don't know anything about those you mentioned but I have "Super Springs" on my F150 and love them. Get the Heavy duty model. Link

Ian

i was just looking on summit racing and they have air lift brand kit that says 5000 lbs load. im not sure anybody should put 2 1/2 tons in half ton truck. sounds like a law suit waiting to happen, "no one told me i wouldn't be able to stop".

i would always prefer a air bag setup rather than a leaf so you dont have to pogo down the road when empty. summitracing.com has a bunch of different kinds.

I used the Hellwigs helper springs (leaf add ons) on a GMC 1/2 ton. I used them to haul a 6000lb 5th wheel. They worked out well.

The ones I had (can't remember the model) are made so thatwith an empty truck, no extra help from the Hellwigs. Once the rear started to sag to a certian point (adjustable by you-nice feature on the Hellwigs), the overload springs kick in.

I think I had mine set for around a 1" drop before the Hellwigs would assist the regular leafs. They worked fine, no complaints, did what they should, and I would buy them again if I needed them.

Now I drive a 3/4 ton diesel with factory overload springs. Gave the Hellwigs away. KD

I don't know anything about those you mentioned but I have "Super Springs" on my F150 and love them. Get the Heavy duty model. Link

Ian
Those were his other choice thanks for the link.Sounds like you like them and the price is even better than the helwigs. Are they always in contact with out a load in the truck?

Those were his other choice thanks for the link.Sounds like you like them and the price is even better than the helwigs. Are they always in contact with out a load in the truck?

They aren't designed to touch but in my truck they do. I had to jack the truck about an inch to hook them up. They do make the suspension a bit stiffer. Speed bumps in parking lots will seem taller than they used to be. LOL

Ian

Back