Heres a steal on a 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I think I got ripped off!

None of my saws have a blade!

My neighbor's saw has a blade. He told me so. I think it's kind of dull, though, because he mostly burned his way through the last tree he cut. :D

Still, a blade's gotta be better than a chain, right? I mean, blades are for cutting, chains are for pulling things! :dizzy:

I gotta get me a blade...

BY THE TIME YOU GO GET IT GAS AND TROUBLE, PAY TAX ON IT, TAKE PHOTOS, MIND THE LISTING, SELL IT, HOPE YOU GET A GOOD BUYER, GET YOUR MONEY,,,, PAY EBAY THEIR PORTION, PACKAGE IT,, I THINK YOUR 125.00 IS NOT REALLY THERE..... YOU WOULD MAKE SOME MONEY BUT,,,,, I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME I GOT ONE FOR 205 AND WHEN I GET TIME IM GONNA MAKE A 7900 OUT OF IT JUST,,,,,WELL,,,,, BECAUSE ITS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THA POINT CASEY WAS MAKING WAS THE DUDE WAS LISTING THE SAW AS AN 800.00 VALUE WHEN NEW,,, :monkey: OF COURSE ITS AROUND 600.00 DROVE OUT THE DOOR,,,,,,,,,,,
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: SO I SUPPOSE THERE IS A CATCH!!!! LOL

Yeah, I know, he ACTUALLY says $858! but I was talking about this:

MSRP $800? HD sells that saw new for $569.00 (or something close). Another seller listed a used 6401 for $205, and it sold for $325.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130099341534&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

And really, if you bought and sold 5 of em and paid about 20 bucks for shipping on each, you'd make like $400 for just buying, listing, shipping saws. I guess what I'm wondering, is there some moral reason not to be flipping them? I mean if people are willing to pay 325+ ????

And really, if you bought and sold 5 of em and paid about 20 bucks for shipping on each, you'd make like $400 for just buying, listing, shipping saws. I guess what I'm wondering, is there some moral reason not to be flipping them? I mean if people are willing to pay 325+ ????

Um, no. I'll sell you my 044 for $1000 if you're willing to pay for it. No one's holding a gun to the buyer's head, and these aren't drugs that are ruining people's lives that we're talking about.

I don't see anything wrong w/it. I do the same thing w/quad parts, saws, dirtbikes.....nothing wrong w/making a little money buying cheap and selling high. No different than wal-mart, home depot, etc.....

I asked him this.....

Do you have an actual picture of the saw you are selling? I see you have several listed, are you willing to part with one at the $205 that most HD sell them to the public for?

Why would anyone sell something for the same price they paid? Not to mention, the 205 is pre tax.

Yeah, I know, he ACTUALLY says $858! but I was talking about this:

Why would anyone sell something for the same price they paid? Not to mention, the 205 is pre tax.

My point is the guy says theyve been looked over by a qualified individual. Which he says is him. Well, he works at a HD rental center, not a Dolmar or Makita dealer. He also refers to a bar as a "blade." He is also claiming MSRP on a 6401 is $858.

To someone who doesnt know better this guys listing sounds like a gift from heaven. IMO he is praying on others ignorance. Thats it, nothing else. If he can flip them on Ebay for whats hes asking, more power to him. But dont crucify me for calling a spade a spade. Im not the one having to sleep at night making the decisions this guy is making.

Space, why would anyone pay $385 for something they can go down to their local HD and pay $205 for? Pre-tax or not, tax doesnt come up to $180. If he didnt try to inflate his listing by saying the 6401 has an MSRP of $858.....Also, he says he works in the rental center...when did he go over these saws? Did he do it on his own time or on HD time? Last time I went in they checked these saws out everytime they came back from rental. I doubt they would sell a saw to anyone that hasnt been checked out...

I don't see anything wrong w/it. I do the same thing w/quad parts, saws, dirtbikes.....nothing wrong w/making a little money buying cheap and selling high. No different than wal-mart, home depot, etc.....

Thats the American way. But dont try to boost your sales with incorrect information in your listing.

Casey, I agree that the marketing of that guys saw is shady. That being said, I remember on Makita's website that it used to say "list price $838.00". I have it printed out (from when I bought my HD saw) ... I just checked their site and now they just have links to other places to buy the saw. For example:

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/DCS6401-20/

Which says "list price $838.00" .. "Your price $465.00" ... So the guy isn't really doing anything different than sites like this, which Makita refers you to.

I still think it's shady though ....

Casey, I agree that the marketing of that guys saw is shady. That being said, I remember on Makita's website that it used to say "list price $838.00". I have it printed out (from when I bought my HD saw) ... I just checked their site and now they just have links to other places to buy the saw. For example:

Which says "list price $838.00" .. "Your price $465.00" ... So the guy isn't really doing anything different than sites like this, which Makita refers you to.

If Makita said MSRP is $838, and the person selling the saws says the same thing, then it's not shady in the least bit. Think about it. If you're selling an item, you're going to tell somebody how inexpensive your price is compared to MSRP. That's what ALL people do. Give me a break, you're not going to say how inexpensive your price is compared to Bailey's.

If Makita said MSRP is $838, and the person selling the saws says the same thing, then it's not shady in the least bit. Think about it. If you're selling an item, you're going to tell somebody how inexpensive your price is compared to MSRP. That's what ALL people do. Give me a break, you're not going to say how inexpensive your price is compared to Bailey's.

You're correct. I just don't see how someone could go on ebay, start bidding on a saw without googling first. But there are idiots in this world. If someone searched for makita 6401, they would probably find the HD deal within minutes. I guess by 'shady' I meant unrealistic (at least to US).

Well Ill be darned.

The guy had (3) saws listed for a starting bid of $325...or buy it now for $385 and shipping of $35. Two of the auctions have ended and (1) of them sold for the opening bid of $325. The other auction ended without any bids. There is still one to go and there might be another fool out there somewhere that will bid on it!!!!! So whoever bought it had $360 dollars in it (with shipping)....I think I would have definitely ponied up a few more bucks for a new one.

Last edited:
home depot makitas for $205.00

its a proven saw, and anyone would be hard pressed to find a better saw for this money! any where at 205 bucks! exspecially with less than 35 four hour rentals on it. wich i understand alot of them have. they definately dont bring the money that the same saw in orange clothes does though. wether used on ebay or at your local saw trading post, interesting people dont seem to like the blue paint! and few know makita had a controlling interest in dolmar way back in 1993. and soley owned the saw division by 1995, had this not occured we probably would have seen the end of dolmar. so my thanks to makita for bailing out a great saw builder. and continuing to run the company as they did. (dolmar is owned by makita, and uses the dolmar name, color orange , for marketing purpose only)

Back