Here's one to top the scratcher chain...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heviarti

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, here's a pic of the chain I got on the 6-10 I bought week before last for the fuel line...

It kicks just a *little* bit. If i find the person that did this, they're getting a bootleather enema. Image is 800px wide, so people on phonelines may not want to load this..

Al: got the chains. Thanks very much. Also, Oz can host his PDFs on my site.
and now, without further ado, the sucky chain:

Just to make this clear, this is NOT the chain from Al. His chain is good.

Again, thanks Al.

I just do not know how anyone could cut the rakers down that far?!?! I mean.. what were they cutting? BALSA?!?!?!

Well ,it would get a good "bite",so to speak.Someone got a tad carried away,but the chain is toast.Way back when,when I was cutting heavy,I have ran the chains that worn,but never cut the rakers like that,jeez.

heviarti said:
Image is 800px wide, so people on phonelines may not want to load this..
It's not the width that matters, it's the thickness.  800 pixels wide is fine when the image is only 62 KB like yours was.

That chain will end up breaking very quickly. I have some chainas around here that have been ground too many times but none that have the rakers cut that low. I t looks like the work of a 4.5 inch angle grinder.

Bill

Looks as if more people should read their chain maintance guides instead of becoming an instant Pro 15 to 20 thou is all that is needed below the cutter even out here in Australia when ripping fenceposts they still don't drop the rackers that low but use less angle on the top plate, Whatever you take off the rackers only makes everything else work harder plus extra chain stretch and then worn sprockets, just remember a good business requires poor chainsaw operators to keep them feed, keep your dealers lean mean and hungry.

Spoken from experiance.

Bob Cornwell

Trying to file a chain way past when they should be tossed... I know of at least two "older" guys that have the mindset that if it still cuts, no matter how poorly, keep sharpening it till you use it up. No matter that the teeth start to break off... no matter that it kicks and bucks and is actually dangerous to use, and cuts slowly and poorly, "its still cutting".

Dave

imho, if I get a chain that looks like it getting just a little thin on the cutter I will pitch it. My safety is alot more important than a 20 or 30 dollar chain. Even if the saw has a chain catcher, the dang thing still might wrap back around far enough to hurt someone. By the time it gets that bad, I pretty sure that I have gotten my money's worth out of it!

Those were cutters? I thought it was just dirt or dust

And I thought that old chunk of 7/16ths I've got was bad. That looks really good now. If it weren't so cold, I'd fire up the Monkey Wards and find me a tree.

I got a buddy that cuts his rakers way down to cut firewood for some reason. he gets up on the side of the pile and cuts till he hits the bottom then starts over. his saw will spit 6in chunks at you and is dull if it even thinks its coming close to dirt.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dang it Bob... my computer screen and keyboard are covered with coffee now... :laugh:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:laugh:

Well... it was funny to me...

Gary

Oh well... while I'm here...

Check out what's left of this 1/2" chain that was on one of my big Homelite's when I got it. The old boy that had it before me was gettin' every nickle he could out of that chain... Some of the cutters don't even have but a 1/16th of an inch left on them...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ya know... if I soak this chain in oil and hang it for a day... I might be able to use it... be right back... :laugh:

I couldn't resist...

Gary

Last edited:
Back