Heres what I THINK I know so far.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Having recently purchased an OWB I was in dire need of good information concerning all aspects of its use. As a new member to this site I am amazed at all of the excellent information, comments and concerns that are expressed here. I have never owed a woodburner so to say starting from scratch would be an understatement. I will admit that I was a little bummed out when posting a question on here I was told by one of the board that I should of had all of my questions answered BEFORE I bought my burner. Well I guess you can chalk that up to not being the sharpest tack in the box. That being said I was very happy to have a board member in my home state IM me and allow me to ask ALL of the dumb questions that I had and he would be more then willing to help me out. On to what I THINK I know.

1. Oak should be seasoned for two years but can be used after one good year of seasoning.

2. Water with treatment is what is most recommended for the burner. (I had a question concerning glycol)

3. If your round is the size of a volleyball then it is best to at least 1/2 it or 1/4 it so it will burn better.

4. Don't pass up ANY free wood with the exception of maybe willow and cottonwood. (In my neck of the woods)

5. Green wood smokes a lot and if you have close neighbors it will not bode well.

6. If you have soft wood burn it early and late and save the hard wood for the really cold days of winter.

7. Having never cut this much wood in my life I have learned that trees (even down) can do some strange things and hurt you in the blink of an eye.

8. Poison oak is really bad stuff and stay away from if at all possible. (Did not know it could stay with the wood.)

9. Unless you are a pro it is better not to cut down anything even remotely close to something of value.

10. There are ways to get firewood if you know where to go or who to ask.

11. If you have a problem someone some time on this board has had the same problem that has been solved or answered.

12. When I purchased my splitter I primarily used the information off of this board as my deciding factor.

13. Maintain your equipment and it will give you many years of good service.

14. Craigslist most generally are people that are to cheap to pay a professional to do a job that needs one.

15. Spend your money wisely because you definitely get what you pay for.

16. I know more information about hydraulic valves then I think I could ever use. (Smart people answering these questions!)

17. Protecting the boys was not a concern of mine (Nutcup) I think about it more now!

18. Judging by the post there are members that pretty much burn year round. Glad I am not one of them.

19. Trial and error will be my predominate teacher but at least I have a head start on this thanks in a large part to the forum.

20. Finally thanks again to my MTown friend for all your help and yes I do have more dumb questions to ask you.

I fully understand that there will be disagreement to some or all of my statements. With all the information on this board I have to decide what is going to work for me and what won't. Again a full fledged rookie here so I know mistakes will be made but hopefully armed with the information that I have picked up from this forum there may be fewer of them.

Regards

Dogsout

3. If your round is the size of a volleyball then it is best to at least 1/2 it or 1/4 it so it will burn better

You are gonna regret that, in an OWB. Big as you can handle is gonna best. Little splits to fill in the voids, that's one thing. Splitting all your wood basically, into kindling size pieces, you are gonna burn it off FAST.

If you can lift it, and it fits in the door, stack it.

I agree with Freemind but it also depends on the wood species and how soon I will be burning it. Splitting the wood exposes the inner grain and allows it to dry faster. If I know I will be burning the wood within a year I will go ahead and at least halve it to promote faster drying. If it's something slow drying like oak and I will be burning it in less than 2 years I will at least halve it. That said, most rounds that are less than 16 inches in diameter (my OWB door is 18 x 18) I will leave whole if I can easily lift and handle them when they are dry, if it is a very heavy wood like oak I usually split it down to a size of about 12 inches.

LMAO, I love the part about the downed wood moving and the Poison Oak (and Ivy/Sumac for that matter,...) It's amazing what you learn through trial and error in the woods,... Keep learning and trying. It's a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm not sold on the treated water thing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I'm just saying that I don't and have seen no reason to.

Also remember that wisdom comes from experience; just as experience comes from a lack of wisdom. There are many on here (myself as a prime example) who have scars from the school of hard-knocks who will gladly try to help where we're able, to prevent similar pain needlessly.:censored::cheers:

I'm not sold on the treated water thing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I'm just saying that I don't and have seen no reason to.

So, you would rather not treat your water, and see your expensive boiler rot away from the inside? Let me list some reasons why that could happen with untreated water:

PH too low, water is acidic (corrosive)
Algae/fungi, fouling the pumps, HX's
Conductivity- also causes corrosion

Back